Discovery Gaming Community
Xoria for server administrator - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Xoria for server administrator (/showthread.php?tid=8664)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Xoria for server administrator - Angelfire - 05-21-2008

Heres another two cents.

Time spent here can in no way reflect competence or a lack thereof.

Certain profiles are great for management and certain profiles are great for maintenance.

When we set up new companies and restructure sinking ships, the first thing we do is put the right profile in the right position.

Sometimes you need fresh talent with a new outlook to shake things up, sometimes you need the paper pusher at the helm to stabilize chaos and sometimes you need an abrasive dictator to clean out the rabble. It is all subjective to context.

In my opinion, the addition of someone like Xoria... who i would carefully classify as an extremely creative paper pusher..heh heh... is a brilliant move for this community.

I know he can be a bit of a tough communicator at times, but he is a communicator, and that is what matters!

This community is strong enough to make bullies back down, we've seen it over and over and I am not concerned in the least that Xoria might be a bully.

To the contrary... Xoria usually turns up when he is needed to be a champion for those who need defending!

For those who think I might be blowing smoke up his ass... bare in mind that i am one of the people Xoria has been a bit 'short' with, but Competence has nothing to do with like-ability! It has everything to do with efficiency!

Xoria for server administrator - McNeo - 05-21-2008

I agree, time spent here does not reflect the level of competance within that character. It reflects the level of experience that the character possesses. Some of us believe that experience is crucial, and I do aswell.

Then again, as it looks like a 4:1 ratio in favour, I hope that he is indeed a brilliant choice for the community and admin team and he can prove that he is the right man for the job in spite of our doubt;).

Xoria for server administrator - BULLDOGNK - 05-21-2008

as i have left this server i still think it should be known my point of view.

i voted No as he has been hand picked on friendship value to other Admins rather than how good he will be.

this is and i am sad to say another case of the inner circle of friends helping in the Old boy network getting buddies into top jobs.

doing this will only destroy discovery not make it better.

cheers

Xoria for server administrator - 13CentKiller - 05-21-2008

/signed.

But I think everyone deserves a chance. So I voted yes.

I will be let down if a power hungry monster becomes of him, as I have seen in countless communities before I joined this one.

Xoria for server administrator - McNeo - 05-21-2008

::Facepalm::

If the "old boy" network were involved, then I would've voted yes, right? As it stands, I voted no.

Maybe the other "old boys" voted yes because they know him well and believe that he will do a good job...? The old boys which you refer to aren't as evil as you make them out to be. Think of it more in tune with the concept of a Hive Mind. Each share their concerns with the others and then they resolve them or fix them from reassurances by the rest in the conversation. Is that so evil?

In the worst case scenario, I think that the outspoken nature of this community plus the cool heads of the other admins will work to resolve that too. However, I do not believe that even if Xoria became an admin, that this would happen. Only children and those with a like mind (whatever the age) become as such.

Xoria for server administrator - Angelfire - 05-21-2008

old boy?

eh?

Most of us saying 'yes' are noobies... it's mostly the old boys that are saying no....

Personally I think old people smell a bit like Cabbage... but that's a good thing!

Quote:McNeo Posted Today, 11:25 AM

'Hive'

yayy... I have a Hive supporter! one down 700 to go!

Xoria for server administrator - Yngen - 05-21-2008

No.

Because I simply don't know the fellow, and I spend too much time around here to trust someone I don't know.

Another effect of being around a while is exposure. Exposure to all facets of the community. Though Xoria may show promise in the time he's been here, I'm not sure its enough time to get the big perspective. I guess we're about to find out though.

Good Luck Xoria...and pleased to meet you.

Xoria for server administrator - Eppy - 05-21-2008

Seeeeeerve the Hiiiiiiiiiiiiive...for the swaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarm...

Your will, Cerebrate?

Okay, people, break it up. Tony is one to talk about elitism, and yeah, it's there, no doubt, but I don't think you can justify shooting somebody down because of an extraneity. Xoria is one of only a few people who has published a guide or guides really and truly designed for new players, and has created one of very, very few factions where a newbie fresh off the boat can learn the ropes (read, the Hackers). Yes, he happens to have a lot of friends among the Old Guard. So what? He's already proven he has the will and the way to do this since the first day he got here, and he has done little to demonstrate anything but a fair and balanced mind, despite his friendships and associations, which I construe aren't nearly as evil and horrible as certain posters seem to believe they are... It's time credit is given where credit is due.

Xoria for server administrator - Panzer - 05-21-2008

"Ye shall know them by their fruits"

Well... As far as I know, Xoria did post some useful guides (Which I'd love to see reposted on our wiki), acted respectably and all...

Just that... well, I'm starting to feel bad about that yes. Something just doesn't feel right in this case.

maybe this?:

http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?sh...=16402&st=0

Xoria for server administrator - Niezck - 05-21-2008

I voted yes a couple of days ago but i'm beginning to regret my decision. I know Nathan'd be a fantastical Admin on the server and i've spoken to him often and seen his competence and professionalism on many occasions. Yet, to me, something doesn't feel right about this. I, personally, would say that he stay as a forum moderator for atleast a while longer so more of the community could get to know him and he could establish himself a bit more. Just my $0.02:)