Discovery Gaming Community
Researcher ID - It's coming back! - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Researcher ID - It's coming back! (/showthread.php?tid=124743)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Researcher ID - It's coming back! - n00bl3t - 01-17-2015

(01-17-2015, 01:08 PM)Somni Wrote: Like deciding that maybe for the Researcher SRP, there is no need to pay the 250 mil, just provide a solid story and keep a certain level of RP going. Yes?

Shouldn't need to be a story, just some roleplay showing your purpose with the ship. That would pretty much hit the nail on the head.

RE: Researcher ID - It's coming back! - Fluffyball - 01-17-2015

Yeah, there should be choice between paying for SRP AND providing more background that usual, with, perhaps at least 3 months long RP.

Maybe word limit for that exact roleplay, like 20 000 words?

(01-17-2015, 01:13 PM)Toris James Gray Wrote: Yeah, there should be choice between paying for SRP AND providing more background that usual, with, perhaps at least 3 months long RP.

People usually call that a thesis paper, and they get a fancy Dr title and pay rise out of it.

RE: Researcher ID - It's coming back! - Kontrazec (Somni) - 01-17-2015

That kind of goes under story in my book, but yes, something along those lines. The SRP is a good requirement for the ID, and it should be implemented, just the money req demolished. Like I said, it'd save a whole lot of time and effort. Let's face it; If you plant the ID, as powerful as is, as an open use one, there are eventually going to be MANY of those (you know them, sadly) silent powertrading types that'll just get caught and clutter up the sanctions. I'm willing to bet that if this ID were open, more than 90% of those caught abusing them would not have even had a forum account.

Edit; I meant n00blet, ninja'd by Toris

(01-17-2015, 01:18 PM)Somni Wrote: That kind of goes under story in my book, but yes, something along those lines. The SRP is a good requirement for the ID, and it should be implemented, just the money req demolished. Like I said, it'd save a whole lot of time and effort. Let's face it; If you plant the ID, as powerful as is, as an open use one, there are eventually going to be MANY of those (you know them, sadly) silent powertrading types that'll just get caught and clutter up the sanctions. I'm willing to bet that if this ID were open, more than 90% of those caught abusing them would not have even had a forum account.

Edit; I meant n00blet, ninja'd by Toris

Isn't rational discussion of issues and fleshing out solutions great?

I pretty much agree with what you're suggesting. Maximum exposure of the ID and minimum sanction mess/work.

However, instead of having it SRP, but having an open thread posted into with requirements listed and ship name and purpose on the forum, wouldn't that cut down work and time taken and filter out people who aren't on the forums?

RE: Researcher ID - It's coming back! - Mister_X - 01-17-2015

Now that official faction perks are not happening, you should burn this whole Researcher ID thing as well...

RE: Researcher ID - It's coming back! - Kontrazec (Somni) - 01-17-2015

(01-17-2015, 01:22 PM)n00bl3t Wrote: However, instead of having it SRP, but having an open thread posted into with requirements listed and ship name and purpose on the forum, wouldn't that cut down work and time taken and filter out people who aren't on the forums?

It might work, yeah, although I'm kind of iffy about that sort of thing since the very announcement of the topic has been met by some people getting ridiculously worked up and up in arms... I sadly have to say that Discovery's community has too many people that'd just use this as an excuse to start flame wars or hatreds of one kind or the other to make it public. Possibly a thread postable in, but visible only by the admins and mods?

(01-17-2015, 01:28 PM)Somni Wrote:
(01-17-2015, 01:22 PM)n00bl3t Wrote: However, instead of having it SRP, but having an open thread posted into with requirements listed and ship name and purpose on the forum, wouldn't that cut down work and time taken and filter out people who aren't on the forums?

It might work, yeah, although I'm kind of iffy about that sort of thing since the very announcement of the topic has been met by some people getting ridiculously worked up and up in arms... I sadly have to say that Discovery's community has too many people that'd just use this as an excuse to start flame wars or hatreds of one kind or the other to make it public. Possibly a thread postable in, but visible only by the admins and mods?

Just put a CTE 750 rule on posting responses to other posts? "This is only for posting about a ship you own with a Corvo ID."

People can make another thread. It gets locked and you get told to file a rule violation report if you believe someone is acting OoRP.

You'd want to make it visible so people can access who is what and it's nice to have a general run down of their RP. Although, this can be metagamed, but then again so can the chat list and a whole lot of other things.

RE: Researcher ID - It's coming back! - Auriec - 01-17-2015

(01-17-2015, 01:02 PM)n00bl3t Wrote: It's almost like you're suggesting anyone without an SRP doesn't have good intentions or a genuine interest. Maybe it doesn't sprout a magical e-peen, but there is definitely some allusion of grandeur afforded to SRPs. It's a shame that we attach a 250 million powermine/powertrade in order to make sure people have been on the server long enough, but then also add a few months of character existence into the equation to make sure it's around for long enough. It definitely filters out who can make money and who can't be bothered grinding.

You're suggesting a semi-metagaming sort of roleplay where people scan IDs before deciding to interact?

I wasn't suggesting that at all, my apologies if that's what came across. I wouldn't call an SRP an allusion of grandeur, but rather an illusion of superiority.

In regards to the ideas above, I personally like them and hope the admin team does take them into consideration. While it was already reduced to a low 250M (which can easily be earned with 5 ore runs), it does not help those who do not trade at all. I mean, there are obviously loans but there's the risk of your SRP not getting approved and then you having to powertrade to pay it back or face sanction.

In addition, as far as I know most people treat the ID inRP. And even if not, you usually scan the ID of a person to make sure you do not violate rules. I personally do not let that carry over into the roleplay in certain situations, for example when facing Wilde, but in regards to corporate or military roleplay it makes more sense to treat the ID as a roleplay object for myself.

RE: Researcher ID - It's coming back! - Fluffyball - 01-17-2015

(01-17-2015, 01:16 PM)n00bl3t Wrote:
(01-17-2015, 01:13 PM)Toris James Gray Wrote: Yeah, there should be choice between paying for SRP AND providing more background that usual, with, perhaps at least 3 months long RP.

People usually call that a thesis paper, and they get a fancy Dr title and pay rise out of it.

It is not hard to get that much words in two months (if you are active), both in your and someone else's RP I believe. I have... However, I agree it should be 10 000 rather than 20 000 words. Look at To: Hide. On the beginning, we had just short messages, but then, in time, we maintained to at least two paragraphs long replies. And I believe it also shows how RP is going on, as it is visible it goes better and better.

Maybe adding something around the time spent on the vessel + provided replies between certain factions would be another way than just giving out 250 million creds, because it makes the SRP way longer and you are more concerned about credits rather than on doing your RP right.

Also, 20 000 words is half of something I consider Light Novel.

Quote:n regards to the ideas above, I personally like them and hope the admin team does take them into consideration. While it was already reduced to a low 250M (which can easily be earned with 5 ore runs), it does not help those who do not trade at all. I mean, there are obviously loans but there's the risk of your SRP not getting approved and then you having to powertrade to pay it back or face sanction.

I agree on that. It forces players to trade idly (like I do with my GMS, you know, messenger in one window, game in other window) or to even to do something they just plainly hate, because I'm not even interested into trading. Not to mention mining, which I just hate by all my heart after like 3 runs, because it is brainless shooting at small objects, rather than just sitting next to the rock and ore filling itself, lets say, 2600 in 15 minutes.

Mining is profitable, yes, but boring as hell and even short reply harms the time you mine - even more if you are in group and you are mining for someone, because you are likely to be yelled upon for wasting someone else's time.

It is also different when you are blown out by a player during plain trade rather than being blown out after long and boring mining. It makes players ragequit and not return to mining for even a few days.