Discovery Gaming Community
Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Deleting systems poll UPDATE (/showthread.php?tid=196649)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Reeves - 04-03-2023

(04-03-2023, 05:30 PM)Czechmate Wrote: I am talking about CNS News, they are way more important than in-game news articles. I don't think people even read those, we have literally 20 year old ones only around on some bases and nobody cares. In-game articles you write for yourself and five other people more or less

I have a script to "yeet" all the antiquated news articles across every base in the game as of next patch. So there won't be any clutter getting in the way of people's up to date news. If only five people log into the game and click the news button, then that's my primary demographic so far as active players go. Since it would be the same five people clicking the launch button even without the incentive of news being put on stations. I'm sure there's a way to do this where a teaser is posted on the forums, but if you want the meat of things then being in the game or interacting with characters in the game world is the way to go. I'll see how best to implement that with immediate effect.

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Levenna - 04-03-2023

(04-03-2023, 05:34 PM)Reeves Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 05:30 PM)Czechmate Wrote: I am talking about CNS News, they are way more important than in-game news articles. I don't think people even read those, we have literally 20 year old ones only around on some bases and nobody cares. In-game articles you write for yourself and five other people more or less

I have a script to "yeet" all the antiquated news articles across every base in the game as of next patch. So there won't be any clutter getting in the way of people's up to date news. If only five people log into the game and click the news button, then that's my primary demographic so far as active players go. Since it would be the same five people clicking the launch button even without the incentive of news being put on stations. I'm sure there's a way to do this where a teaser is posted on the forums, but if you want the meat of things then being in the game or interacting with characters in the game world is the way to go. I'll see how best to implement that with immediate effect.

In all fairness though, doesn't it make more sense to make the method fit the demographic i.e. the wider community of disco, rather than expect people to actively hunt down the latest news? Disco already suffers from activity problems, anything that can help boost activity should absolutely be considered imo.

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Czechmate - 04-03-2023

So, you don't care about the hundreds of people reading CNS News that made them log and check stuff out in-game and discuss roleplay implications in and out of the game. An easy place where new canon changes were found. You are instead happy with five people that find stuff randomly.
EDIT: And know what was there before the change. And Remember what changed. And what it implies.

I mean and you wonder why people don't like what the dev team does - you don't work for the community, you for yourself only.

And how to implement that? Write CNS News. The Story leads before you were better than you, just follow their lead, it's not rocket science. Don't destroy what isn't broken, god Big Grin

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Toaster - 04-03-2023

(04-03-2023, 05:39 PM)Levenna Wrote:

In all fairness though, doesn't it make more sense to make the method fit the demographic i.e. the wider community of disco, rather than expect people to actively hunt down the latest news? Disco already suffers from activity problems, anything that can help boost activity should absolutely be considered imo.

In all fairness though, isn't it more exciting to see a new patch has come out and log in to discover the new developments in-game? It is Discovery, after all. And, with not everyone immediately having all the latest news and developments available to them on the forums, those players / characters that do actually go and look for them in-game have nifty inrp knowledge that they can use to their advantage.

(04-03-2023, 05:42 PM)Toaster Wrote:

In all fairness though, isn't it more exciting to see a new patch has come out and log in to discover the new developments in-game? It is Discovery, after all. And, with not everyone immediately having all the latest news and developments available to them on the forums, those players / characters that do actually go and look for them in-game have nifty inrp knowledge that they can use to their advantage.

I'm sure there's a middle ground that can be found. Say that actual impactful in game events are mentioned on forums, however small things like say, a particular trade route gets a buff for a week, that's mentioned nowhere other than in a news article. That gives you a tangible, useful benefit from checking the news, while also driving activity as the wider community can see what's changing in Sirius.

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Reeves - 04-03-2023

No I don't expect people to solely hunt down ingame information but I'd like to incentivize it by giving the people willing to go that extra mile a more complete picture. That said, you make a fair point and I'll see what we can put out in the way of posts. But if the unanimous thing people want out of discovery is a sense of discovery, surely they'd be willing to explore the game world rather than view it from an armchair position and never experience it for themselves.

(04-03-2023, 05:40 PM)Czechmate Wrote: So, you don't care about the hundreds of people reading CNS News that made them log and check stuff out in-game and discuss roleplay implications in and out of the game. An easy place where new canon changes were found. You are instead happy with five people that find stuff randomly.
EDIT: And know what was there before the change. And Remember what changed. And what it implies.

I mean and you wonder why people don't like what the dev team does - you don't work for the community, you for yourself only.

And how to implement that? Write CNS News. The Story leads before you were better than you, just follow their lead, it's not rocket science. Don't destroy what isn't broken, god Big Grin

I've invited your input, you have elected to say I don't care and that as a result everyone else doesn't care. There's nothing in this statement that I can work with.

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Toaster - 04-03-2023

(04-03-2023, 05:45 PM)Levenna Wrote: I'm sure there's a middle ground that can be found. Say that actual impactful in game events are mentioned on forums, however small things like say, a particular trade route gets a buff for a week, that's mentioned nowhere other than in a news article. That gives you a tangible, useful benefit from checking the news, while also driving activity as the wider community can see what's changing in Sirius.

I completely agree with this.

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Czechmate - 04-03-2023

Well yes - that's what CNS News is??? Story about the change, details in-game in infocards, solar moves etc. CNS News controls the narrative and what is revealed. That's my input, do what always worked, there's nothing to discuss. You are trying to find a middle ground that's been around for literal years before you came. Just resume doing it

Quote:No I don't expect people to solely hunt down ingame information but I'd like to incentivize it by giving the people willing to go that extra mile a more complete picture. That said, you make a fair point and I'll see what we can put out in the way of posts. But if the unanimous thing people want out of discovery is a sense of discovery, surely they'd be willing to explore the game world rather than view it from an armchair position and never experience it for themselves.
Hello? That's CNS News. Big changes hinted at there, you decide how much and to what degree, details in-game. There's a reason story lead after story lead was making these, you are not better than them, just resume doing what they did, it's that simple.

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - LuckyOne - 04-03-2023

(04-03-2023, 05:47 PM)Toaster Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 05:45 PM)Levenna Wrote: I'm sure there's a middle ground that can be found. Say that actual impactful in game events are mentioned on forums, however small things like say, a particular trade route gets a buff for a week, that's mentioned nowhere other than in a news article. That gives you a tangible, useful benefit from checking the news, while also driving activity as the wider community can see what's changing in Sirius.

I completely agree with this.

Second this, use in-game news as hints for where the wrecks/good trade routes/battlezones/special encounters and other gameplay related content is.

Vanilla did this pretty good.

Heck, you could even make it so players could buy in-game advertisement for their Official Factions and HQ POBs, maybe some billboard beacons and stuff, would make for a good credit sink.

(04-03-2023, 05:48 PM)Czechmate Wrote: Well yes - that's what CNS News is??? Story about the change, details in-game in infocards, solar moves etc. CNS News controls the narrative and what is revealed. That's my input, do what always worked, there's nothing to discuss. You are trying to find a middle ground that's been around for literal years before you came. Just resume doing it

Quote:No I don't expect people to solely hunt down ingame information but I'd like to incentivize it by giving the people willing to go that extra mile a more complete picture. That said, you make a fair point and I'll see what we can put out in the way of posts. But if the unanimous thing people want out of discovery is a sense of discovery, surely they'd be willing to explore the game world rather than view it from an armchair position and never experience it for themselves.
Hello? That's CNS News. Big changes hinted at there, you decide how much and to what degree, details in-game. There's a reason story lead after story lead was making these, you are not better than them, just resume doing what they did, it's that simple.

I haven't seen Reeves try and claim he's any better or worse than any other story lead, to be honest. I don't see how that's conducive feedback towards trying to better the communication between players and devs. If anything it's just widening the divide between the two.