Discovery Gaming Community
Constitution class Liberty Carrier - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Constitution class Liberty Carrier (/showthread.php?tid=39243)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Constitution class Liberty Carrier - frozen - 05-05-2010

ignoring what mouth shot said, specially the final sentence...

i've not claimed anywhere you're not good enough. i just said there is alot of room to improve and optimize the mesh. if you need the tools, you can get em. 3ds max/maya can work just as well (torrents, or speak to mouth shot on skype about it, he'll probably be able to sort you out with 3ds max 10).

if you're worried about texture mappings getting ruined, i dont want to sound like i have a superiority complex or any such thing, but i was not really keen on certain sections of the model's texture job. HOWEVER, you can have a look at the tutorial ive written and apply that to re-texturing the model properly, and exporting the CMP as well (though you might need 3ds max 9 for that script needed to split the mesh up for milkshape etc)

3ds will allow you to map the faces properly- no distortions, no extra small textures applied to a large area type problems, etc. it will also allow you to define hard and smooth edges (treewyrm wrote a tutorial about that, check the dev tuts dusty compiled), amidst other things.

strictly speaking, while i may be a bit biased toward 3ds max, i think you'd be better off upgrading.

EDIT: Hrm. after looking at travis' screenshot, i cant really figure out why the version luis sent me is showing me 9k poly as polys, and double as tris. either way, if you're getting 9k poly as tris in milkshape, thats fine

EDIT x2: the model kingvaliant confirms Travis' post. I apologize for that, there may have been some problem with the version i was sent originally. however, you still have quite a bit of improvement you can do, for example, removing the unnecessary edges, etc.

Constitution class Liberty Carrier - Linkus - 05-05-2010

The one Luis had is the first screenshot he posted, there are visible errors there at the front of the ship.

The fixed up version is the lower screenshot, which has 5k polys.
Oddly, that's the version Travis has too.

So where did the 9k one come from? O.o

Constitution class Liberty Carrier - Luis - 05-05-2010

' Wrote:The one Luis had is the first screenshot he posted, there are visible errors there at the front of the ship.

The fixed up version is the lower screenshot, which has 5k polys.
Oddly, that's the version Travis has too.

So where did the 9k one come from? O.o

Korolia himself.

I still have the file the he sent me.

Maybe I was giving a file that was not recently edited? I dont know.

Anyways, as I see on Travis posts - I see that I am corrected by the pictures. My question is, what the hell you sent me? Old files?

Again. I will apologise for the trouble that has been made. However, I have to agree with Travis and Frozen - somethings can be fix.

Can we talk on Skype?

Constitution class Liberty Carrier - Korolia - 05-05-2010

I gave you two, one of which I said was an old but already pre converted 3ds model, and a second one, which I told you was the newest. If anything, you probably displayed the old one here.

As to doubled faced polygons, I have no idea where they are, or how to see them at all. If someone wishes to fix them, you are more than welcome to.

Constitution class Liberty Carrier - Luis - 05-05-2010

Hmm, ... mis-understood that part then - Sorry.

Also, can you get to Skype quickly?

Constitution class Liberty Carrier - DartStriker - 05-05-2010

' Wrote:I gave you two, one of which I said was an old but already pre converted 3ds model, and a second one, which I told you was the newest. If anything, you probably displayed the old one here.

As to doubled faced polygons, I have no idea where they are, or how to see them at all. If someone wishes to fix them, you are more than welcome to.

A double face polygon really isn't the correct term for it, thats what I've always called them. But you can make double faced polygons that are not a problem, what I'm talking about is when there are two faces that occupy the same space. When your computer tries to render them they fight for position on top. It looks something like this:
[Image: faces.jpg]

You can see how it looks funny. I have a good feeling a lot of these double faces aren't your problem though.

Plus newer programs do a good job of hiding them for some damn reason. So you will need to turn on a special tool that locates them to see them all.

Constitution class Liberty Carrier - Freestalker.fr - 05-12-2010

Look like mothership or admiralship.

Constitution class Liberty Carrier - Seth Karlo - 05-19-2010

So, can this model be used or not? If it needs texturing, I'm willing to do that... I have Xings old model, but this is much better than that one, and i would be a shame for such a model to go to waste.

-Seth

Constitution class Liberty Carrier - Turkish - 05-19-2010

' Wrote:So, can this model be used or not? If it needs texturing, I'm willing to do that... I have Xings old model, but this is much better than that one, and i would be a shame for such a model to go to waste.

-Seth

I don't agree with that sentiment at all.

Simply using a model because it would be a 'shame' for it to go to waste and not be used is insane to me, just because we have something doesn't mean we should just use it. Its through standards like those that you can end up letting some amazing levels of rubbish in.

Now on topic, yes it's useable as far as I know (talk to Korolia), has been textured and even possibly hitboxed. But with that said I don't think it's any better than the other carrier models put forth by said artist. They just don't feel Freelancer I find, the texturing leaves a lot to be desired.

As an interim to a better model sure, but as a permanent fixture? Nay.

Constitution class Liberty Carrier - Seth Karlo - 05-19-2010

So we reach an impasse.

Do we use the model I have, made by Xing and ready for submission, or Korolias model?

I forsee a poll here.

* Seth Karlo goes to make it.

EDIT: http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69246