Discovery Gaming Community
Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Faction Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Thread: Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums (/showthread.php?tid=61274)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - mwerte - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:1.What are the disadvantages associated with relaxing this restriction?
Official factions lose one of 2 tangible, practical rights that they have enjoyed. The other right, FR5, is of little concern to a large amount of factions, namely, corporations, and in some cases, the right to recruit is what is helping those factions survive lean times.

The way I see it, the rights, including forum recruitment, are a "you put in your time, here are some advantages as a reward, and something we can take away if you don't behave."

2.What are the advantages associated with relaxing this restriction?
The "anti-faction" crowd is placated for a month? I honestly don't see how this helps anyone out.

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Govedo13 - 06-14-2011

1.What are the disadvantages associated with relaxing this restriction?
I dont see how harming unofficial factions game-play will bring any advantages.
I dont see any others, it wont bring more people to the official factions anyway witch is may be the purpose of it.
' Wrote:So allowing recruiting would do no harm, and possibly some good?
Yes it will do possibly some good, most of the new unofficial groups mainly consisted by new players should be able to use the forum to learn about the game and change the behaviour of their groups for good. When they are forbidden to attract other older experienced players to help them it will be just harder for them and they will make mistakes witch leads to sanctions and unpleasant in-game moments. You cannot expect that the role-play environment will be changed for good only from the official faction members since they dont even represent the half of all in-game activity. As I already stated I am all for more real faction rights- more good stuff for official factions in game.

I still need a clarification what is considered recruiting.
According to this:
' Wrote:What if faction leader drops a note in unofficial faction description (status):
How to join:
Just PM me.
Is this considered a recruitment? And what about special cases, where recruitment comes in stories developing characters or becoming important part of lore for those new factions?
' Wrote:Recruitment refers to the process of attracting, screening, and selecting qualified people for a job. (Wikipedia)
That falls under "attracting" I suppose.

This restriction wasn't forced till now. I still cannot understand why direct recruiting by PM or indirect recruiting by unofficial faction presentation should be banned. I hardly see how the admins and the mods are going to stop the PM recruitment- they will enter in the peoples profiles and delete recruitment PMs or they will suspend the forum membership of the people who will put something like " if you are interesting in X PM me"?
I never said that the unofficials shall be able to make separate topics to recruit people, but they should be allowed to use the forum to "attract" members ,otherwise I dont see the point of allowing unofficial factions at forums at all. I dont see why making faction presentation should cost 500 mill, because for me according to wikipedia definition it is "attracting" and goes to indirect recruitment and should be forbidden according to this policy.

Ingenious - you have clearly no idea about the issue. Please try to chill a bit.

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Ingenious - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:Ingenious - you have clearly no idea about the issue. Please try to chill a bit.

offtopic, but justly.
1. I've been here far longer than you. This account's signup date doesn't mean anything.
2. I have presented rational arguments in a cool manner, with the exception of size 5 red text at Snak3.
3. Please don't tell me to chill.
4. Please don't insult my knowledge about an issue which really predates you.

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Hexx - 06-14-2011

Discovery Freelancer: Where looking for some friends to play with is a sanctionable offense. '„¢

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Pingu! - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:People come here to play the game, seek others to play the game with and most importantly, and have fun. Not to go through the BS of legal action. Stop convincing yourself, that a forum on the internet needs such bizzare control. Less rules. Less regulations.

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Snapp - 06-14-2011

On the Fence. Middle of the road. So to speak...

I agree that only official factions should be able to have a standalone recruitment thread, as a "perk", as it is now.

but...

I also think that unofficial groups should be allowed to put a simple "If you want to join then send a PM ect" in thier main information post. Though i must admit if someone really wants to join, the first requirement should be for them to be smart and or interested enough to send a PM to whomever posted it, wether joining them is mentioned or not. However, as a respectful RP'er, im not going to "invite myself" to a faction unless it's listed in thier main post that they are "open" to new people joining. Just a thought.

Added note: When it's comes to the "only one official faction per id" rule and how they can change NPC "lore".

I think if theres only going to be allowed one "official" faction to represent an NPC faction and it's "lore", then it should be decided on by the community as a whole, not just by those in power and who belong to that specific faction. Aswell in-game it should almost ALWAYS follow the preset lore of vanilla freelancer after singleplayer (prime examples being some rp'd rep-ninja'd id's and the bountyhunter/order "war", which has always seemed entirely oorp to me from a vanilla freelancer perspective). Any other factions if someone wants to make one, official or not, and even if they use the same ID, should be considered a sub-division of the main community ran NPC "official" faction.

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - chopper - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:Discovery Freelancer: We're looking for some friends to play witch is a sanctionable offense. '„¢

:lol:
That sums it up, pretty much.

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Athenian - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:Discovery Freelancer: Where looking for some friends to play with is a sanctionable offense. '„¢

This type of post is unhelpful in the extreme.
If you are not prepared to offer reasons for your way of thinking, then don't post.
If you are not prepared to contribute to making Discovery a better place for people but are going to fire off one-liners like this, then don't post.

Consider yourself warned. Trolling like this will not be tolerated.

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Ingenious - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:1.What are the disadvantages associated with relaxing this restriction?

Disadvantages if policy is relaxed
  • Unofficial recruitment may draw a small fraction of official recruiters' clientele.
  • Unofficial factions may become overzealous about recruiting via forums.
  • Official factions may feel offended that one of the benefits of officialdom has been offered to unofficial factions.
Advantages if policy is relaxed
  • Unofficial factions can recruit. Unofficial factions will then have a better chance at successfully attracting new members and rising to fill unattended roles such as Farmer's Alliance.
  • Official factions have an increased recruiting pool. Relaxed, unofficial factions may very well be a "gateway drug" to get casual independent players used to the idea of a faction that is represented on the forums. Once used to the idea, they may then choose to become more serious about the server and join official factions.
  • Less forum rules, easing the burden on forum moderators and members alike.

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Hexx - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:This type of post is unhelpful in the extreme.
If you are not prepared to offer reasons for your way of thinking, then don't post.
If you are not prepared to contribute to making Discovery a better place for people but are going to fire off one-liners like this, then don't post.

Consider yourself warned. Trolling like this will not be tolerated.
I have made topics, spent hours trying to civilly discuss and brainstorm ways to improve upon issues and complications here, but I am met with trolling, flaming, and general aversion to any form of change suggested. It comes to a point where after 50+ well thought out, reasonable, multiparagraph posts are rebuked, one feels the need to be a little more straightforward.

I was being blunt in the post you are apparently warning me for in that fancy green text, trying to show in a humorous manner how silly a restriction like this is. Official factions have extremely easy responsibilities, yet they receive an extremely disproportionate amount of power. Now a group of players who create a faction and don't wish to go through the process to have the O word slapped in front of them can't even ask for people to join? Really?

Hence the comment, now it's a sanctionable offense just to ask for friends to play with. Don't tell me that you don't see what I mean.