Discovery Gaming Community
Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Deleting systems poll UPDATE (/showthread.php?tid=196649)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Megaera - 04-03-2023

Deleting old news articles is actually a bad thing. It's kinda the same as purging faction history from the game.
References from old wars will be removed that can help newer players to understand why relations with other factions are as they are.
It also removes the ability to compare them with modern day development. Another corrective element that will be removed.

I can see a pattern here.

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Reeves - 04-03-2023

(04-03-2023, 08:49 PM)Megaera Wrote: Deleting old news articles is actually a bad thing. It's kinda the same as purging faction history from the game.
References from old wars will be removed that can help newer players to understand why relations with other factions are as they are.
It also removes the ability to compare them with modern day development. Another corrective element that will be removed.

They'll end up dumped on red station and a select few other locations if necessary to serve as an archive for outdated news. So it's not as if it's gone, just out of the way of more frequented bases and planets.

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Couden - 04-03-2023

But Red Station is pure oorp

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Kherty - 04-03-2023

Gonna give my two cents. I am not fighting anymore. I gave it up long ago, however, I can still talk and give my opinion.

What I see here is a divide. Between people having agendas. You do not realize that by protecting said agendas, or by making inRP content accessible only in ooRP, such as aforementioned Red Station thing, or by the Ontario system which, in all honesty, absolutely nothing.

The lack of developers, and the paper-thin excuse of "it was a test" I had received when I applied, as I can empathize with @Kalhmera; where I was tasked with replacing some debris by others; while I had a complete interview, and I re-linked it. I saw this as rather insulting, further empathizing the position Kalhmera posted. I believe I was wronged; however again, I will fight no more.

You are fighting amongst yourself over a vestigial mod. Wake up until it is too late. The vote numbers are speaking for themselves. I am not accusing anyone of themselves; I embrace the idea that nobody is "evil". However, please acknowledge that, you are hurting this community by furthering this divide.

All I see is the community being divided. It is saddening. Do something that isn't only aimed to please your own "agenda", whatever it may mean.
Also, the existence of cliques have been proven times and times again.

And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand. Make your choice.

EDIT: The issue is not about deleting systems anymore if you have noticed. Also, please take a look at who voted what, in the poll.

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Megaera - 04-03-2023

(04-03-2023, 09:32 PM)Reeves Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 08:49 PM)Megaera Wrote: Deleting old news articles is actually a bad thing. It's kinda the same as purging faction history from the game.

They'll end up dumped on red station and a select few other locations if necessary to serve as an archive for outdated news. So it's not as if it's gone, just out of the way of more frequented bases and planets.

People don't delete old news articles from the internet either, so why would this be the case for the freelancer universe? The purpose of news articles, old and new, is to build a living story. Removing old stuff will just retcon most of the earlier history of freelancer.
Other than that, you speak of news articles like there are dozens of them on each station. That is factually untrue. Most stations have like 3 to 5 articles, maybe even less. If people want to read those, just let them. The newest will be at the top anyway, just like any other news item.

Like Couden said: Red Station is oorp. Let's not start using conn for anything other than pvp practise, shopping and trading equipment.

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Kherty - 04-04-2023

(04-03-2023, 10:23 PM)Megaera Wrote: snip

I agree.

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Czechmate - 04-04-2023

(04-03-2023, 09:32 PM)Reeves Wrote:

There are dates for a reason, you could see the game world evolve over time as you saw the progression of the news over the years where they were updated. Much like CNS News pointed you where to look and discover new changes.

The pattern is simple - current story and systems leads work for themselves, not for or with the community.

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Kherty - 04-04-2023

(04-04-2023, 02:44 AM)Czechmate Wrote: The pattern is simple - current story and systems leads work for themselves, not for or with the community.

And once again, I agree with @Czechmate and @Megaera. This is one of the major issue plaguing the "community"; hence, the division I mentioned earlier.

All of this is finally becoming crystal clear.

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Reeves - 04-04-2023

(04-03-2023, 10:23 PM)Megaera Wrote: Most stations have like 3 to 5 articles, maybe even less. If people want to read those, just let them. The newest will be at the top anyway, just like any other news item.

You're right in saying it makes no practical difference. That's not the basis for why I was provided with this coded utility. I was under the impression an issue had been identified with places like planet Manhattan that have so many news articles which showcase holes in the news coverage. This was brought to my notice a few times. There's articles from vanilla for example, a few dated a decade after and then sometimes a skip from year 817 to the current date.

If people prefer retaining constant access to all the news articles, irrespective of when it was published, then that's fine and it can remain that way because it makes no practical difference. The only problem I see is as I mentioned before, namely a period of Discovery where news articles weren't being made whatsoever and the gap simply looking strange.

RE: Deleting systems poll UPDATE - Chronicron - 04-04-2023

It would be prudent to run a public vote to see if people even read the ingame news articles before shifting the story development to this kind of style. While I do recognize and respect the writing effort you're putting into the game, you shouldn't discard forum CNS articles as a method to announce major story shifts and progressions.

It was never about what you did to Attica, or what you're about to potentially do to all the systems included in Saronsen's list. It was always about how it was all handled. There was zero communication with LPI's 1ic, zero events that would lead to it, zero ingame hints, nothing.

It felt forced. Shoved down our throats without even giving us a chance to say or do something.