Discovery Gaming Community
Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes (/showthread.php?tid=23848)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Cris - 07-26-2009

Well here goes my ever neutral opinion.

Sure its a good idea, it reduces the work for admins about sanctions, but what about RP cargo and laggy connections in systrems with lots of people.

I am not concerned for my trader, since i dont find any other player MOST of the time, but I have a yacht full of RP cargo, and guess what its RP is at, yep you guessed, manhattan. And I have a laggy connection every now and then, some people must have even see me vanish (I apologize for that its not my fault).

You dond tunderstand, I cant sleep fearing that tomorrow I could undock and get my cargo jettisoned:lol:

My solution? well I dont know how good it might be but maybe we could get a bunch of members in charge of handling sanctions, especially selected I mean, like some sort of court, that would reduce admins work without having to implement such authoritarian measures.

I support the idea but not how it was implemented (<---yeah quite neutral I know), many people will be punished unfairly, I say if you are going to implement some measure do it right.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Bauer - 07-26-2009

' Wrote:Liberty requires you to have a license to deal weapons.

Actually it doesn't, but that's beside the point.

I like the concept and theory of what this is trying to do, but I don't like how it could affect those with bad connections, like me.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - BlueSpawn - 07-26-2009

On a positive note, my favorite part about the change is the line that reads "So and so is attempting to generate a cloaking device."

This is great because it's an RP idea I always liked to use in regards to people that F1. Also because some characters that roleplay space stations, are not capable of docking (realistically). I mean really, does it make sense for something as big as Battleship to dock inside something as small as a Freeport?

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - tazuras - 07-26-2009

I disconnected earlier today and when my internet came back up I was able to log back on instantly. I liked this.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - n00bl3t - 07-26-2009

' Wrote:Actually it doesn't, but that's beside the point.

Well, it did.

(When did that change?)

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Bauer - 07-26-2009

' Wrote:Well, it did.

(When did that change?)

I dunno, but the [LN] told me they no longer enforce it.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - n00bl3t - 07-26-2009

' Wrote:I dunno, but the [LN] told me they no longer enforce it.

*Goes to feedback thread.*

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - akar.zaephyr - 07-26-2009

Well, this week it happened to me twice.
I was on my route, travelling through California. Before I got to Cali Minor I got red lag icon, I just hoped that it is going to be something temporary.

I head to Cali Minor - Magellan JG trade lane and this is where it started.
I could not dock, the red lag icon was flashing and after around 2 minutes of floating near the ring I got disconnected.

I could not connect back (receiving the standard error when F1 in space) and after one minute - surprise surprise - I'm back online.

My question is - in such a case I did not F1, the reason I got disconnected was somewhere on my connection. Either the cable TV Internet service or my wi-fi router, I don't know. It does not happen often but if it does, I loose 4500 slaves. Well, it's not a big loss if it happens in California, I can head back to Penny then. But if it happens in Tau-37? Am I supposed to head whole the bloody way back to Pennsylvania because I've lost all the cargo not even F1 on purpose but due to line problems?

If so I'll just start praying it doesn't happen too often.
But again- is that the point? Am I a victim of a solution targeting those who can't play within the rules?

If so, ban them, I don't want to be the one paying for someone's inability to play within the rules, as I play accodring to them. Why me? And others?

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - maxine - 07-26-2009

' Wrote:...
So....
Where to get an insurance on that, so I can afterwards get my money back?

' Wrote:Hmm.. Maybe a good roleplay opportunity to get IND off their duffs again..

' Wrote:Well, this week it happened to me twice.
It does not happen often but if it does, I loose 4500 slaves.

...[IND] is never there when you need them...

I DEMAND AN INSURANCE ON THAT!

So, you Interspace folks might want to sit together, brainstorm a bit and offer me a good deal?

Regards.

Admin Notice: Anti-F1 changes - Baltar - 07-26-2009

' Wrote:Excuse me?
How would weapon dealers and traders not be part of the every day roleplay in Discovery GC?
Yes, they are for making money, but it doesn't mean they would be OoRP.

Listen ... I've seen my share of traders who do NOT role play. They just simply trade as quickly as possible and avoid any contact whatsoever with anyone ... especially pirates. When they are pirated they tend to run silent (never uttering a word), tell me to "kill them because its cheaper," try to tell me in OOC system chat that I'm breaking some rule or shouldn't be pirating them ... or they'll F1.

Arms Dealers sit within quick dock of whatever planet they're near. As soon as they detect danger they quick dock and log to a different character. Where's the role play in that?

' Wrote:Baltar, I find your view of arms dealers personally offensive, as its a role I have occasionally played with relish (see what I did there?)
Its time you not make assumptions about every character. Its time, for instance, for Miners to RP like everyone else, or Junkers(both groups are people I've found who stay in one place).

Thank you, but my arms dealer RPs. That's one.

Why would you even suggest that a ship full of incredibly valuable cargo would be out of rp for trying to keep it safe?

Arms dealers have legitimate reasons to be worried. But I don't imagine that the 12 pages of this thread are fueled by arms dealers alone. I've persoally not undocked my bank for months, but I trade every day.

Sure ... assumptions ... my characters are at the brunt of these "assumptions" when it comes to piracy.

Miners ... don't have any ... but you'd expect them to hang out till their belly's are full and then take them to port. But they're not within quick dock of a planet or base are they?

Junkers ... I've got a couple Junker characters ... and I've been ganked by lawfuls for being "out of my ZOI" ... wherever a Junker's ZOI is.

Maybe when arms dealers move away from quick dock range, lower their freaking prices so a civilian can buy something, and maybe actually move from one place to another ... I might consider them role players. But as it is they're always docked at one base/planet ... they ONLY emerge from their dock to buy/sell/trade and then quickly dock. You maybe see an arms dealer logged in for about 10 minutes max in order to keep them from a player wipe.

Here's a question for you ... how many arms dealers sell to unlawfuls? Unless there's some role play post somewhere that shows evidence of an arms dealer actually paying for a license to conduct business in a house ... they should be considered black marketeers. In this case, they should be selling to both sides and they should NOT be docked on home planets such as Manhattan. An unlawful cannot "in RP" get close enough to make a purchase from these guys when they're on a lawful planet. So ... if they are gonna be permanently docked on a lawful planet or base ... they'd better have evidence they have purchased a license to sell weapons in that house system. The SF used to have Nomad Licenses they sold for those who participated in Nomad tech and organism research and such. Where's the role play weapons license? The Nomad licenses were fairly expensive items if I remember correctly. Somewhere on the order of 10 mil for an individual and 100+ mil for factions.

EDIT: And these licenses had to be renewed each month if memory serves me right.

' Wrote:Yes, thank goodness I got out of the business before this happened.

Liberty requires you to have a license to deal weapons. NY has been camped and taken over before. You have a bias against weapon dealers because no-one wants to sell you a weapon for 500k when they can sell it to someone else for over 10 million. Weapon Dealers can and do role-play.

Hence, I think your opinion is ridiculous.

Where's the license thread where we can find the list of licensed arms dealers? It doesn't exist. SF used to have one for the Nomad Licenses. And they used to provide a Nomad License graphic to include in your forum signature block.

I do take offense to the prices they charge ... which is why they should be black marketeers. The rules have been adjusted so that you can kill a Civilian ID'd starflea under level 30 for his CODIES he's harvested ... I think that's enough to make these black market items. But that's not entirely why I think these arms dealers are non-role players

If you are permanently parked at a heavily defended planet and do not venture out beyond quick dock range ... where is your role play? You are never in danger ... you are catering ONLY to one side (lawfuls) ... and you are only logged on long enough to make a transaction (buy/sell/trade) and then you're docked and logged on something else. Arms dealers that spend at most 10 minutes to keep from a player wipe are not role playing. At best, these guys are storage facilities for their buddies. Typical time online for an arms dealer is about 3-5 minutes ... just long enough to make a transaction. Guy A tells guy B "I need item X" ... Guy B says "meet me at planet Y" ... once guy A arrives, he contacts guy B who logs from whatever ship he's on to his arms dealer ... they make their transaction and guy B logs back to the ship he was last on.

Oh PLEASE tell me there's more to these arms dealer's role play than that? Cause I've NEVER seen anything beyond what I've just mentioned.