Discovery Gaming Community
White Cells and Faction Permissions - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Faction Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Thread: White Cells and Faction Permissions (/showthread.php?tid=61470)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

White Cells and Faction Permissions - Hexx - 06-14-2011

It appears that everyone here is perfectly fine with a stagnant, restrictive system of roleplay. There's little more I can say.

The funny thing is, a little over two years ago, the admins starting putting these sort of restrictions in place more forcefully. The community exploded in a controversy, and the vast majority of players hated the restrictiveness. It led to the creation of the SRP system, which out of apparent laziness, has died, passed onto the factions, and continues to die.

It's clear that the community has a strong aversion to change, as the general consensus has taken a 180 from the last time this topic was heavily discussed. I'm just one person, so there's little I can do. It took a horde of players to even invoke a slight leniency the last time change was forcefully enacted, so one person clamoring for change will never do a thing. This is not a democracy to begin with.

In any case, it's good to see everyone is so happy with the system. Although this talks of "rights" is rather silly on a decade old PC game server.

White Cells and Faction Permissions - Zelot - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:It appears that everyone here is perfectly fine with a stagnant, restrictive system of roleplay. There's little more I can say.

The funny thing is, a little over two years ago, the admins starting putting these sort of restrictions in place more forcefully. The community exploded in a controversy, and the vast majority of players hated the restrictiveness. It led to the creation of the SRP system, which out of apparent laziness, has died, passed onto the factions, and continues to die.

It's clear that the community has a strong aversion to change, as the general consensus has taken a 180 from the last time this topic was heavily discussed. I'm just one person, so there's little I can do. It took a horde of players to even invoke a slight leniency the last time change was forcefully enacted, so one person clamoring for change will never do a thing. This is not a democracy to begin with.

In any case, it's good to see everyone is so happy with the system. Although this talks of "rights" is rather silly on a decade old PC game server.

"The last time" "The last time" You werent here for the last time this was discussed, or the time before that or the time before that. You have been gone from this community for like 2 years. I also quarrel with your assertion that the vast amjority of the community were against the changes. It's easy to say "Yea two years ago EVERYONE was against these changes" but I am sure you arent going to provide us with any solid numbers, or even any supporting evidience. Was there an argument between people about it in the past? I am sure, as there have been over and over in the time since you left. This community didnt stand still in the time you were gone. Just like any other time we had 50 bazillion discussions about these types of things. Just because you werent here for them, does not mean they did not take place, nor does it mean that nothing was gotten from those discussions. Many of us have come to our opinions about this topic through those discussions.

"Oh but the last time...." You weren't here for the last time, you don't know about that last time, so please stop trying to distort the discussion by telling people how you thought people felt, last time we discussed it, when you werent anywhere near here last time we discussed it. The general consensus hasn't moved 180 since we last discussed it, it has moved maybe 1 degree. But I guess maybe in 2 years, that kind of slow evolution that takes place in a community like this might seem to you to be a 180, but only if you pretend that the only time things go on around here is when you are around to hear it.

There have been key changes, Zelot.

First, non-specific white cell/red cell rules were in place. Undoubtedly this was confusing at times. Thus the admins stepped in and said that you could only use generic, faction, and allied tech on any given ship. Neutral, friendly (I believe), etc was all now considered breech of rules.

When this happened, a topic with hundreds of replies was the result. Nearly the entire community (besides Akumabito) was against this strict change, and finally the admins decided that the SRP forum would open.

Since then, the only serious change has been the addition of the tech chart, and the movement from SRP (locked down indefinitely) to faction permissions. Now it appears that, slowly, faction permissions are dying as well.

My point is that when more restrictions were put into effect, the community was violently against it. I'm sure you were there, I'm surprised you don't remember. But now that I'm, in effect, suggesting the restrictions to be relaxed a bit, the community is violently against this suggestion.

The two are complete opposites, hence my 180 comment. What do they have in common though? They both involve change.

You personally don't know what I know or don't know. Don't act like you do.

' Wrote:There have been key changes, Zelot.

First, non-specific white cell/red cell rules were in place. Undoubtedly this was confusing at times. Thus the admins stepped in and said that you could only use generic, faction, and allied tech on any given ship. Neutral, friendly (I believe), etc was all now considered breech of rules.

When this happened, a topic with hundreds of replies was the result. Nearly the entire community (besides Akumabito) was against this strict change, and finally the admins decided that the SRP forum would open.

Since then, the only serious change has been the addition of the tech chart, and the movement from SRP (locked down indefinitely) to faction permissions. Now it appears that, slowly, faction permissions are dying as well.

My point is that when more restrictions were put into effect, the community was violently against it. I'm sure you were there, I'm surprised you don't remember. But now that I'm, in effect, suggesting the restrictions to be relaxed a bit, the community is violently against this suggestion.

The two are complete opposites, hence my 180 comment. What do they have in common though? They both involve change.

You personally don't know what I know or don't know. Don't act like you do.

People like to forget that many many people were in favor of the changes. Why? Because they were brought on by a reason. We were tired of Nomad Blaster Titans and GC, OC, LH, RH Red Cats. Basically the system used to be that people could use whatever hodgepodge of tech they wanted, all they had to do was write a story. Many people found this too lenient. There were many people who supported the changed, but I guess I cant just make up a statistic about it like you can. Wait, I can try. The majority of the community was in favor of the change because there was this thread somewhere years ago where I say people were against it.

Thats how you do it? Right?

You expect me to find the topic somewhere deep in the recesses of the forums? Oh wait, didn't it get overhauled and lots of things were deleted?

An ignorant thing to ask. I never said that there weren't people in favor of it, I said that the vast majority were against it. That doesn't even have to be a statistic, because the overwhelming community opinion was either partly against it, or fully against it. Why do you think the admins agreed to create the SRP forum so quickly? Because people wouldn't shut up about it.

I'm not making up statistics. I have a brain capable of memory, and it's not very difficult to recall how that topic went. I can't give you a laminated chart, but I can validate your parking if you want. Interested?

' Wrote:You expect me to find the topic somewhere deep in the recesses of the forums? Oh wait, didn't it get overhauled and lots of things were deleted?

An ignorant thing to ask. I never said that there weren't people in favor of it, I said that the vast majority were against it. That doesn't even have to be a statistic, because the overwhelming community opinion was either partly against it, or fully against it. Why do you think the admins agreed to create the SRP forum so quickly? Because people wouldn't shut up about it.

I'm not making up statistics. I have a brain capable of memory, and it's not very difficult to recall how that topic went. I can't give you a laminated chart, but I can validate your parking if you want. Interested?

Yea yea, your not making up statistics. (vast majority)(overwhelming community opinion)

Sure you can validate my parking, but only if it's not that you are just telling me you validated the vast majority of my parking, and just leaving it at that.

And what would you suggest the general consensus was? 50/50? 60/40?

It was a dramatically higher amount of people against the change. You don't need a calculator, just a brain.

' Wrote:And what would you suggest the general consensus was? 50/50? 60/40?

It was a dramatically higher amount of people against the change. You don't need a calculator, just a brain.

I don't just make up statistics off the top of my head. Maybe it's that you are working off a different definition of statistic since you seem to think you don't need a calculator and you can just make them up in your head.

Things that are so blatantly obvious don't need a color coded spreadsheet. You're being needlessly difficult.

White Cells and Faction Permissions - Athenian - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:You expect me to find the topic somewhere deep in the recesses of the forums? Oh wait, didn't it get overhauled and lots of things were deleted?

We only deleted stuff relating to the Kennedy assassination.

Also, this thread is going nowhere.