Discovery Gaming Community
Suggestion - Bristol System - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod Content Submissions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+----- Thread: Suggestion - Bristol System (/showthread.php?tid=101413)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Suggestion - Bristol System - SummerMcLovin - 07-15-2013

We already know we have too many systems currently, but the problem with this is that since people have been there and have the bases etc. in their files, deleting these bases or systems will corrupt them and cause further problems.
The way they're getting around this is by moving and/or altering these bases and shifting systems and jumpholes around.

[Image: vTFjV5x.png]
This is the 4.87 map (the formatting means some jumps cross over - e.g. Faroe is still out of the way and not between Lewis and Orkney).
As you can see, there are quite a few systems made into dead-ends and a lot of the shortcuts (especially the maze that Gallia currently is) are being removed. This'll force more people into the same places and increase your chances of an interaction (like the new solo-mining Hegemons scooting along the lanes waiting for pirates) but you've still got some alternatives and updates to systems that'll allow new RP opportunities (the completely undeveloped but valuable Omega-9 springs to mind).

While this might be a fairly full system, there really isn't any need of another 'standard' Bretonian system, especially since it would suddenly appear without any lore mention of it and also provide yet another unneeded route between the other systems.

RE: Suggestion - Bristol System - AeternusDoleo - 07-15-2013

Before just going "ohai, can haz new system with codes and stuff?" keep in mind that you'd also be responsible for the following:
- Base equipment sale list. After the equipment changes in 4.87, so you'd have to wait past the beta to do this.
- Base goods sale list.
- Economy adjustment. New routes means prices siriuswide need to be recalculated. There's a few hundred thousand entries. Good luck.
- Base NPCs and rumors. This step was often overlooked in the past by lazy gits who just copied the base population of an existing freeport and didn't care that the rumors would not match. Which means I've now spent weeks already fixing those rumors and I'm not anywhere near done.

Making the actual system can be done in a day. The other tasks listed above probably take well over 2 weeks. And I'm not doing the scut work for any future systems, that's for sure.
Do it right or don't bother starting.

RE: Suggestion - Bristol System - Di'taraAlpha - 07-15-2013

Point made. But even high activity places can be squashed. And yes, system editing is very easy to do badly, very difficult to do well.

About POBS. Surely there is some way POB's in one system (about to be deleted) could be moved to an adjacent system and fully cloned so the individual base admins (or possessing faction) doesn't lose out? The location could also be negotiated here.

For instance, say you were going to delete Baffin (lol, I know that would be the maddest idea in the universe but it's just an example), and you needed to move Malaclypse. Malaclypse's purpose is as a JH blocker so the base could be moved to block the alternative jump connexion between the associated Tau system and wherever the jump was going to (say, Coronado). The disadvantage of such a thing would be that the base would lose all Rp significance. Hmm. That's a big one come to think of it.

What about refunding POB owners somehow? say with an enormous wad of credits, a loaded construction platform and some form of mystic-voodoo-admin-forced-base-instaleveling that would allow for base reconstruction elsewhere without the associated hassle? Just hypothesising out loud here.

Edit: Statement rescinded.

RE: Suggestion - Bristol System - belarusich - 07-15-2013

Offtopic:
1. Systems cant be deleted.

For example: we have Li01 system(New York)
If you delete this system, there will be no Li01 ingame

But characters will remain here, and that will lead to bad things(but well, I can mistake)

2. I hope that devs will move POBs to other system from system which are changing its owner, or from system which will be strongly changed

P.S. Malaclypse was destroyed

Ontopic:
Where you wanted to place that system?

Also, it has too many ways to other systems. Edin, Dublin, NL, Leeds, Tau-31...

RE: Suggestion - Bristol System - Di'taraAlpha - 07-15-2013

Srry, slip of the tongue/fingers/brain/game awareness. By "Delete" I hearby change my definition to: to "Remove JH access". I've also been temporarily on holiday so my knowledge of current events is fairly shot up, but Malaclypse (when it existed) was one of the most obvious JH blockers in here so I thought I'd use it as an example puristically.

Kk, back on topic, srry about that minor detour and kudos for clearing that up.

A significant portion of Bretonian systems are about to become Gallic, don't forget, including Tau 31, Leeds and a whole lot of others.

Hmm.

Actually, come to think of it, maybe this Mod doesn't need any more systems. RP encounters are becoming rarified as it is.

RE: Suggestion - Bristol System - SummerMcLovin - 07-15-2013

If by "a whole lot of others" you mean "none", sure. Leeds (which is significant to be fair) is failing to their control, but Edinburgh and Tau-31 (other than Harris which stays Bretonian) have been Gallic for some time now.
Bretonia keeps all its other systems and with Poole being converted into a proper usable system (plus a connection to O-50 and thus O-49) and Sprague's development adds a bit more.

RE: Suggestion - Bristol System - hungry-bank - 08-20-2013

There are lot of system currently, most of them, well lets just call them abandoned by players.
Another system might just spread the players even more...
Also since it would have Codenames, the system would be visited after a server restart and then abandoned again I guess

RE: Suggestion - Bristol System - Savas - 08-20-2013

This thread is dead, Jim.

RE: Suggestion - Bristol System - Evo - 08-20-2013

Grave-diggers gonna grave-dig (dance)