Discovery Gaming Community
Should there be more unique ships? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Should there be more unique ships? (/showthread.php?tid=102175)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Kazinsal - 07-20-2013

Wait, hold on a second, Jinx. You were given the ability to create a custom ship for in-game use that only you could fly and would fit to your roleplay exactly and then you choose to roleplay it such that no one ever sees it?

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Jinx - 07-20-2013

short answer? - yea - i play it as the juggernaut was meant to be played - for the most part. - does not hurt you eh? - it also does not mess with others RP - or take away precious mod resources.

but if you liked a more detailed version of how its RPed you might have followed some RP the past years - but also only if it would have affected you inRP. - cause why in the world should it be broadcasted to ppl who are not meant to know about it.

but in a nutshell - thats pretty much what i told Igiss - and what he agreed on - yea. whats the problem with it. i am sure the additional <1mb size of the mod has not harmed you in any way when you downloaded version 4.84 back then.

edit: those who seriously wanted to get involved with the ship inRP - were always given not only a chance but encouragement to do so. ( unless their RP was "omg, i wanne see the ship - where are you" - also the ship is usually in delta or around - no secret there )

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Narcotic - 07-20-2013

(07-20-2013, 06:55 PM)Zweibrucken Wrote: well since 2010 i havnt seen one...and i play a fair bit all across so woulda expected to see one by now...

I've seen them now and then, although I weren't always that active.

To be exact:
The Tundra a few times when Zapp returned, also during that event with it last year. Sometimes Nos did also fly it through Zeta, burning down stuff with K'Hara/Wilde.
Then the Necrosis I did met in in Omega-49 - also last year when PSI-Borg has last flown it. Burned it down together with SCRA. Somehow felt sorry for its failed return. And it wasn't really OP against 3 snubs.
And at last I've seen the Phoenix' Persephone this year I think.

However, in the end it saddens me that one doesn't get more interactions - especially personal ones - with those said unique ships. And that people don't want to have them being revived again. Since - as jinx said: "There's only ONE of their kind." So if its player gets inactive/leaves the server - the ship dies with the player. At least, it then should be replaced with something new.

(07-20-2013, 09:58 PM)Jinx Wrote: there is also the problem that some of the unique ships are not suited for multiple incarnations.

So you're the opinion of deleting those which aren't flown anymore? Or passing them on? Or giving out new ones?

(07-20-2013, 09:58 PM)Jinx Wrote: but if ppl demand it - i ll fly my leviathan through new york next time instead of hiding it as the RP demands.

I see what you did there. However, understandable since you made this model for your RP's purpose. Unfortunately not everyone of us has this privilege. And I bet many are being jelly of you for it - thus their anger that you don't "show" it often.

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Jinx - 07-20-2013

@Narcotic:

to address passing them on - i did allowed phoenix to use mine when i felt like i would not be too active ( after omicroners were chased off ) - to keep the ship around.

and you know what? - it sucker punched me - so no - i d be very hesitant to ever do the social thing again.

however - what is used and what is unused? - is the persephone used or unused? - more hours logged than most others - regularly online - BUT .. you won t see much of it unless you are involved in the RP.

is the necrosis unused? - wasn t aurigae using it? or psiborg?

is the satsuma unused? - well... its the emperors yacht - do we have an emperor? - zelot is not there anymore - and i have no idea of kusari has spawned another one.

but if you ask some new york con player - yea - all those ships are damn unused, cause it is unlikely he runs into them.

other than that - yea i reckon ppl are always jeaslous when others have what they cannot have.

but even back then - you now what i did to get it?

i emailed Igiss - asked him "hey, mind if i make myself a ship?" and he said "do it if you like - but make sure its not OP, alright?"

oh - btw. i also asked him if others had asked him that - and it turns out - the only person who had asked him that had been dreygon ( necrosis / monstar )

so yea - 2 ppl had asked igiss - but also yes - many might have been jealous but they never really asked the person in charge ( back then ) - undeniably its different now.
the admins have kind of declared "no more unique ships" - and we do not have igiss around who "owns" the mod and was rather lax when it came to allowing such stuff. - file it under "exploited the relaxed decision making back in the days"

however - the question you asked is about now.

and i already said - "why not" - it has not harmed me when you guys gave phoenix ( or rather redeclipse ) a copy of the leviathan. - i just pretend it is a nephilim looking like a leviathan. it has like zero effect on my roleplay. - should i get upset cause i am not flying a unique ship anymore? - some ppl might - but i actually encouraged ppl who were interested in getting one, too. and tried to assist them as much as i can.

unique ships has always been entirely a decissions of the admins. ( at least after igiss ) ... and of course everyone who has NO access to such a treat wants a chance or wants those who have it to loose it.l you won t find many ppl who say - "no i m game with others getting stuff and i don t" kinda silly poll ( afraid to say )

better to just ask the admins - cause you won t get a very objective result out of such a poll. (btw. i picked "yes")

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Narcotic - 07-20-2013

Well, of course I get your points, no doubt.

However, I always wondered why people have that much respect about unique ships. It's like a holy toy, only a few selected people are privileged to have. But in the end there's also none really asking for one. Of course, on the one hand it could take years of roleplaying and another year to actually get one's ship added into the mod. And until one finally has his own unique ship, he's not really interested in flying it anymore.

It shouldn't be so hard to give a decent roleplay some unique ship. And if it was just as reward for his roleplay contributing for the community/server's activity and individualism. It really wouldn't be that difficult to have a few more unique ships added to the mod, would it? Not as much as some people put effort into their roleplay I bet.

However, if the majority doesn't like the idea of unique ships in general - I'd be okay with it. It just annoys me that people want to see more of them, but don't happen to try getting one by themselves. In the end, it's nothing of high value, compared to achievements in the reality.

/edit Oh, and what about unique snubs? Or at least "unique" to official factions? Like [HF], [RoS] had/has.

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Benjamin - 07-20-2013

(07-20-2013, 06:53 PM)Jansen Wrote: I'd be all in for more unique ships, they are what adds a really great bit of atmosphere to this mod.
If someone worked hard and for a long time on a character, why not reward them with something? Essentially the work put into this character will likely have a positive effect on the community as well.
Not to mention that this mod is called discovery, what would you have to discover if everyone flies the same ships?

agree with Jansen. Especially as the community is dwindling.
half of rp is knowing your character, the other half is other characters. you might have a great character, but if you treat everyone you meet the same way, it's not fun to roleplay with you.
I've met a million KNF a million times back when I was in BAF, couldn't name a single one, they're just a mass. Met the Necrosis twice, can remember the whole of each encounter, even though they were in 2009/10.
If everyone knows you, then everyone has an opinion on you, treats you differently. Great for roleplay. I'd be fine with like, a lot more unique ships, like every official faction had one, or every one of us old soaks in this thread had one.

I mean, we could get the same effect by paying attention to other characters, and reading other people's rp stories. but like lol, yeah that's gonna happen Heart

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Hone - 07-20-2013

I may be in favour of some more Unique ships, but not on a "given out to one person" basis.

Id say a good way to intorduce them would be as rewards for competitions/events, for instance if you win an event, you get the ship for say a month, then theres a new competition, and the winner of that gets the ship, ect.

E.G: there could be a trading competition, whoever makes the most money in a certain amount of time gets a big fancy yacht for a month.

And a big battle event - whoever wins gets a fancy battleship, ect.

I voted no due to inactivity, because I dont want more one person ships, but unique ships everyone has a chance to earn through gameplay and RP could be good.

This could increase the chances of the users being actually active, whilst the remaining only 1 ship, what do you think?

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Madvillain - 07-20-2013

(07-20-2013, 10:52 PM)Narcotic Wrote: /edit Oh, and what about unique snubs? Or at least "unique" to official factions? Like [HF], [RoS] had/has.

Doc proposed something in these lines a long time ago,
personally I think it would be a fantastic idea to have faction logos on official faction ships , but then if i remember correctly , the dev's said this was too much of a load on the server....

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Benjamin - 07-20-2013

@Hone: while that might be nice for activity, I can't see it boosting rp. It ceases to be 'your' ship, and is instead just some trophy you can wave around a bit.

On the other hand, if you wanted to avoid 'given out to one person' stuff, then how about a unique 'flagship' for every official faction?

RE: Should there be more unique ships? - Kazinsal - 07-20-2013

(07-20-2013, 11:43 PM)madvillain Wrote:
(07-20-2013, 10:52 PM)Narcotic Wrote: /edit Oh, and what about unique snubs? Or at least "unique" to official factions? Like [HF], [RoS] had/has.

Doc proposed something in these lines a long time ago,
personally I think it would be a fantastic idea to have faction logos on official faction ships , but then if i remember correctly , the dev's said this was too much of a load on the server....

Idea: IDs show up as logos painted somewhere on your ship. Whatever ID you have puts a different logo on.

All that would have to be done would be to move the ID hardpoint somewhere visible and do small little models for each ID's logo.