Discovery Gaming Community
Bring More Use to Liners - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Bring More Use to Liners (/showthread.php?tid=108499)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Bring More Use to Liners - sindroms - 12-09-2013

(12-08-2013, 06:42 PM)leonardo_tigre Wrote: you know... a particularly -evil- concept would be to have human cargo be "perishable" in non-liner ships (or trains without "passenger" cargo pods).

thoughts?

Couple that with your reputation with lawfuls deteriorating with every lost unit of human cargo, and it would be perfect.

RE: Bring More Use to Liners - Fat_Mendoza - 12-13-2013

Great idea i hope it will be done

RE: Bring More Use to Liners - Binski - 12-14-2013

(12-08-2013, 04:38 PM)Highland Laddie Wrote: Or make Human cargo non-purchasable except by a player using a liner, and then give primary sell points a bit of a buff?

I like, but freighters should be in there as well, since inrp they're usually used as fast ferries for articles of high value, and the one or two passengers/VIP's looking to cross a warzone quickly and unnoticed.

And of course the Firefly would have to be in there as well. But its true you wouldn't be ferrying passengers so much in gunboats or battleships (unless government/military perhaps).

As for slaves and prisoners, well, think of ancient slave ships...yes people were treated as cargo, many would die on the way, so maybe slaves should be perishable. Prisoners ought to have better accomodations than slaves, but could easily rp 'stasis pods' for them while transferring, which could make them cargo.

Making passengers and VIP's only accessable to these types of ships and buffing the value of the cargo would definitely help juice up the liner numbers. Right now I see liners shipping ore mostly. They'd probably be shipping VIP's if it was approximately equal in value, just maybe make the routes a bit longer.

RE: Bring More Use to Liners - Amon.Cire - 12-14-2013

I think liners should be able to scan for jump coordinates. They have the cargo to do it solo, and can move largely unrestricted.
I don't like the idea of people perishing in the holds of other ships... doesn't make sense. And really, who would want to board a death trap like that in rp?

I agree though, liners need a little something more than just rp value.

RE: Bring More Use to Liners - Fat_Mendoza - 12-14-2013

O by the way we can give bonus to liners for human cargo and give penalty for rest commodity. Something like Liner have
seats and other convenience for passengers and thats why have less place for goods.

RE: Bring More Use to Liners - Sabru - 12-14-2013

Perhaps increase the space taken up by human cargo when loaded in a transport.

so, for example, the cargo space usage would be standard for freighters and liners, but human cargo in trans could use double or triple the space.

combine that with buffing human cargo routes and both freighters and liners would get more use, and more RP potential

RE: Bring More Use to Liners - LegendOfTheWolf - 12-16-2013

(12-14-2013, 04:45 AM)Amon.Cire Wrote: I think liners should be able to scan for jump coordinates. They have the cargo to do it solo, and can move largely unrestricted.

Why would liners have the ability to scan for jump coordinates? What purpose in RP could they have, okay they might be scanning for "Luxurious spots" or, jumping to a location isolated so the passengers can enjoy themselves. I personally feel that there should be a certain ships which has a bonus for scanning, which will encourage players to use that. But that's a different topic.

(12-14-2013, 10:37 AM)BigLimon Wrote: O by the way we can give bonus to liners for human cargo and give penalty for rest commodity. Something like Liner have
seats and other convenience for passengers and thats why have less place for goods.
That makes alot of sense, though do you not think that making less profit than you could is a penalty which can easily be avoided?

@ Sabre, I see what your saying, but the Dev Team will have to go through ever commodity and change the code on it so the penalty applies. It could be a tedious task.

RE: Bring More Use to Liners - Fat_Mendoza - 12-16-2013

Despite Liners must have bonus. Example Democritus 1,500 cargo 75 millions why so high cost? 1 GB turret? that deficiency for that cost.

RE: Bring More Use to Liners - Pel - 12-17-2013

So... first of all, I think Liners should have more of a role.

All of you have come up with many creative ideas, however, most of them are not easily implemented with the game's current mechanics. The thing that is difficult to do is to make a commodity "ship specific" or have it act a certain way on a certain ship. Even if you limit its availability or make a duplicate commodity, other ships could get ahold of it and the commodity (even if it is supposedly "humans") would act like any other commodity. Immersion broken.

That's one of the reasons players didn't fly those ships in Vanilla FL-- b/c then you were free to imagine the whole thing without these nuisances.

MASSDRIVER TO THE RESCUE! It turns out, according to this quote:

(12-17-2013, 11:56 AM)massdriver Wrote:
(12-08-2013, 05:18 PM)Pel Wrote: Can the missions be ship-specific? I.e. only pilots flying a certain transport can take a particular mission (the code checks the ship_archetype in the player's save file).

ship+id restrictions are configurable both for traders and convoy members

With his plugin, missions could be made Luxury Liner specific!

Even the convoy members could be specified, as well as what faction ID.

So if his plugin were implemented, human cargo could be repurposed as a mission-specific cargo that only Luxury Liners could trade via missions offered only on the proper bases.

I think this would benefit immersion greatly.

The same could be done for Pirate Trains and slaves, etc.

Once the cargo is jettisoned, it will revert to normal, unrealistic FL cargo. So in that event, a pirate could get his hands on the commodity.

Since massdriver's plugin would also implement time limits to each cargo run, it would actually make sense to have the cargo be perishable (but still profitable) so that if there are delays to the convoy or if pirates have to try to find a way to offload the stolen merchandise, its unlikely to do them much good. The poor tourists will have expired in space.

This is still not that realistic, b/c the humans would be expiring while on the Luxury Liner as well (maybe they are conducting horrible experiments on the science deck?) so if massdriver's plugin could come to the rescue again, maybe he would code something to make the commodity perishable only outside of a Liner-- in space or someone else's inadequate hold?

In sum, the brilliant ideas conceived previous to this post are difficult to implement without a new plugin. I think massdriver's plugin could do the trick.

Please show him your support!