Discovery Gaming Community
Rebuilt Freeport 7 ? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Rebuilt Freeport 7 ? (/showthread.php?tid=108574)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Rebuilt Freeport 7 ? - kikatsu - 12-10-2013

In SP, specifically in the news it does say it is in fact a Zoner base. Someone can at least try to clear out the wreckage I guess... I dunno, it would make sense but RPing it won't do much if the devs leave it as is.

RE: Rebuilt Freeport 7 ? - Syrus - 12-10-2013

(12-10-2013, 05:03 PM)xiphos Wrote:
(12-10-2013, 04:44 PM)Syrus Wrote: With Yanagi gone it could be remade as a Junker base...

And as to how to do that without putting in another base: move an unused base there. Preferable a guard base with no function or ship seller.

But not at the old Position near the Jumpgate. Samura wouldn't be so happy with a Junker base there. Big Grin

Hm...right. How about a Freelancer base build inside the scrap?

RE: Rebuilt Freeport 7 ? - Curios - 12-11-2013

I was proposing Pirate IFFd base somewhere around Rheinland, like the barrier gate. But I'm not sure if we're in need of that. First of all that disgusting Lambda must be gone and Theta must be back at it's respectful place.

RE: Rebuilt Freeport 7 ? - Echo 7-7 - 12-11-2013

(12-10-2013, 12:13 PM)tyro Wrote: ...
It looks that station was big and important for sirius. If it would be only insignificant distant zoners instalation, the whole crisis wouldn't happen. The LSF investigation, rumors, diplomatic issues etc, all that means Freeport 7 was important. As Juni said, now each House will accuse others, it's their fault.

To clarify, it was such a big diplomatic issue because the base's population and visitors included people from each of the four houses. The base was certainly large enough, having both biodomes and large storage capacity, making it a useful trading post in neutral space, and a supply point for ships heading out into the edge worlds or returning to House space. Being an independent base, its destruction was not a significant economic loss to any of the Houses, since any money made from the station's biodomes was probably used to pay for maintenance by the base's administrators.

So, you ask "why not?" I ask "why?"

Bases are a significant investment. Most Freeports are ex-corporate bases abandoned in favour of facilities in better locations. Zoners aren't traditionally base-builders themselves unless it's out of dire necessity. Therefore, there is no strong precedent for a new Zoner base in the Sigmas that isn't an existing base that has been abandoned.

Quote:I was proposing Pirate IFFd base somewhere around Rheinland, like the barrier gate. But I'm not sure if we're in need of that. First of all that disgusting Lambda must be gone and Theta must be back at it's respectful place.

There is Heisenberg in Koeln - a Freelancer base.

I guess Lambda was an experiment - a failed experiment. When I first joined the Dev team I had little say in system development, and the system had already been completed and added to the Dev WIP mod files. A system with only one faction in it is fairly boring; perhaps as an alternative either Omicron-91 or O-94 could be moved "up" and given a link to Eta. Apart from being an alternative buffer in between Gamma and Eta (Theta previously had that role) it also lengthens trade routes between the Sigmas and the rest of the Omicrons (which in hindsight was probably not a good thing).

(12-11-2013, 07:22 AM)Echo 7-7 Wrote: There is Heisenberg in Koeln - a Freelancer base.

Yea, I know it's there, but we both know that the place is dusty because no one wants to fly into the dead end system and then to it's far reach on cruise to dock at some base. It's location is simply broken.

RE: Rebuilt Freeport 7 ? - xiphos - 12-11-2013

(12-10-2013, 10:44 PM)Syrus Wrote:
(12-10-2013, 04:44 PM)Syrus Wrote: With Yanagi gone it could be remade as a Junker base...

And as to how to do that without putting in another base: move an unused base there. Preferable a guard base with no function or ship seller.

But not at the old Position near the Jumpgate. Samura wouldn't be so happy with a Junker base there. Big Grin

Wait wait wait. Are we talking about the same system?

I guess not... Big Grin

(12-11-2013, 08:28 AM)xiphos Wrote:

I guess not... Big Grin

I guess he meant that little bunch of scrap and metal chunks floating in Sigma 17 where the Fp used to be.

RE: Rebuilt Freeport 7 ? - Syrus - 12-11-2013

(12-11-2013, 08:37 AM)Curios Wrote:
(12-11-2013, 08:28 AM)xiphos Wrote:

I guess not... Big Grin

I guess he meant that little bunch of scrap and metal chunks floating in Sigma 17 where the Fp used to be.
Yep. Exactly what I meant. It'd be "easiest" to build a base when there are already parts around that one might be able to salvage.

And then maybe people also salvaged stuff from Sigma-13 and brought it there and poof ... Base there!

Well, just a suggestion.

RE: Rebuilt Freeport 7 ? - Trogdor - 12-11-2013

(12-11-2013, 07:22 AM)Echo 7-7 Wrote: Bases are a significant investment. Most Freeports are ex-corporate bases abandoned in favour of facilities in better locations. Zoners aren't traditionally base-builders themselves unless it's out of dire necessity. Therefore, there is no strong precedent for a new Zoner base in the Sigmas that isn't an existing base that has been abandoned.

Lanzarote would like to have a word with you. Tongue

Speaking of taking over abandoned stations, though, can we have Cayman? Make Cayman's shipyard Livadia, its research station Corinth, Safe Haven becomes Freeport 15.

Then you can reclaim all the bases in O-74 and use their entries for other things. You could even remove the whole system, or repurpose it as a battleground system. The Zoners could then colonize Brallia, possibly transplanting the Zoners living in O-49 now that the 'sairs and SCRA and who knows who else are fighting over Canaria. Canaria could become a two-docking ring SCRA/Sair battleground planet, maybe. And since Fuertaventura is probably mined out by now, you could repurpose Lanzarote, too. That's -5- bases the mod can now use for other things.

I've suggested this a couple times before, but the response I get is either silence, or a 'nope' with no reasoning as to why.

RE: Rebuilt Freeport 7 ? - tyro - 12-11-2013

(12-11-2013, 07:22 AM)Echo 7-7 Wrote: So, you ask "why not?" I ask "why?"

Your inRP explanation is good and there isn't anything to argue, but we know that many of systems and new station is not justified inRP.

So, you ask "why?" I ask "why not?"

Freeport 7 makes more sense than Alcudia, Ciutadela, Heisenberg, Lagos, and dozens of others. Freeport 7 is one of the most famous stations in the history of Sirius.
Why do people rebuild castles hundreds of years old, since it costs a lot of money and does not serve anything specific?
It is a sentiment for important objects in history. This is human nature and will not change in a 1000 years.

EDIT

I doesn't have to be Zoners base, it can be Freelancers.
It could be restored on the initiative of Edison Trent, influential and rich Freelacer, a hero of the crisis, who saved the Sirius sector.
As the last of the survivors of Freeport 7, he set an idea of ​​restoring Freeport 7. Through friends in the Liberty, with the quiet support of the Order, and other shady groups, he has collected money and materials to quick rebuild Freeport 7.