Discovery Gaming Community
What do you believe in? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: What do you believe in? (/showthread.php?tid=115333)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: What do you believe in? - Fifty. - 05-12-2014

In the power of the working class.
[Image: 3D8AACs.png]

RE: What do you believe in? - Highland Laddie - 05-12-2014

I'm just confused by the topic and the OP in-general. What is your actual interest/reason to post this? Do you have a genuine interest in what other people on this forum actually believe? Do you want to discuss/debate those differences? Are you seeking for something? Are you just trying to show off? Are you just bored?

Because, I look through this and come across a statement like this:
Quote:Going out of our way to make sure people don't die,our total population is too damn high right now and will only increase.

And I find this thought really despicable. I don't really think you believe this on a deep level. Sure, you can see that the earth's population is growing, along with our strife and problems...but this kind of thinking that depreciates the actual value of human life is precisely what leads to things like war, murder, death, etc.
So, what's your solution? Kill everyone over the age of 50? Kill every un-planned baby? Don't try to help the sick? Only the "strong" survive? Helping and loving the weak and helpless is the sign of honor and chivalry, not only promoting the strong at the expense of the weak.

Then there's this:

Quote:Honor - My word is the most secure assurance I can give you and I hold honor above rest.It matters so much to me that people can trust me.

followed by this:

Quote:White lies,small lies - Honesty in all aspects may sound totally righteous but It is according to me a great mistake.You must make a decision if that lie benefits you and others and doesn't damage anyone to the point where you shouldn't have told the lie.

Do you not see a conflict of those two ideas? You cannot be an honorable liar. On any level. If one cannot trust you to tell the truth in something small, what reason would they have to trust you to tell the truth on something important?

In any case...I believe in a lot of things..the foremost of them being in my Lord and Savoir Jesus Christ. It you want me to expand on what that entails...I"ll be happy to.

RE: What do you believe in? - lIceColon - 05-12-2014

(05-12-2014, 02:41 PM)Ash Wrote: Anything could happen, at any time, to anyone, because of chance.

Chance is a virtual concept humans created to assist in calculations for when we simply cannot afford to precisely account for every single factor.

As for religion, simply due to the ever increasing scientific explanations for supposed supernatural phenomenon, I've personally concluded that any omnipotent being - if it exists - is simply an observer or creator and may not even bear any relevance towards the ever-coveted afterlife. There is no such thing as divine intervention, praying is only psychological and I prefer knowledge over ignorance.

Relying on faith/scripture instead of reasonably believable fact for guidance and decision making does not deserve praise, its cutting corners in a bad direction.

There is no such thing as ethics, only actions that are beneficial or counterproductive towards a particular consequence. My morality is oriented towards the mutual satisfaction of all human beings, I believe the meaning of life is achieving satisfaction.

edit:
Also, abortions. pro-life say: what right do you have to end a life
, I say: what right do you have to create it?

RE: What do you believe in? - Ash - 05-12-2014

Don't get me wrong Colon, I don't see chance as an entity or as solid as fact. I purely accept the chaos of things. Everything in existence is subject to perception; rendering the ideals of right and wrong completely void. Saying anything could happen to anyone in a multitude of scenarios could be a good or bad thing. Hence a neutralistic way of thinking. Everything is possible at any moment in time, but I appreciate the significance of probability.

Apart from your thoughts on abortion I'd say we're more or less on the same page.

RE: What do you believe in? - Praetor - 05-12-2014

Ah,the reason I wanted to create this thread was to see the philosophical mind set of the people i play with.

and lets keep the posts to what you believe in,only someone who doesn't respect another's beliefs would argue over them.
// I guess i wanted to make this thread after something that happend to me recently while i was travelling on a train,
It was a long ride and I was in a single sitting chair,a midle aged man come so I ask him to sit and I just sit on the edge to not give my legs pain,after a few hours his station came and he got of.
I after feeling good about myself slid back into the chair and enjoyed back support after hours of pain,then at the same station same guy boards and rudely starts ordering me to move.He looked 27 and totally fit,I politely explained to him I endured pain for several hours to accommodate someone just before him now and would really like to be left alone now.Even though there was no provision for me to move for him in that particular seating as it was designed for only one person that rude guy started bad mouthing me.

I for one don't care if someone says something degrading to me but I saw some kids there so didn't want to show them any violence from me so I did indeed make space for him,now I was in even more pain and that guy didn't even bother sharing properly.

If we were alone it would have ended very differently for him.

RE: What do you believe in? - Tachyon - 05-12-2014

Murphy's law is OK.

RE: What do you believe in? - Doc Holliday - 05-12-2014

I believe, through my own self example, that chivalry is not dead! Maybe that's why I'm going on 25 years of marriage?
I believe that people need to take better care of themselves. You know, eat right, exercise and just get out when it's a nice day out.

But since it's an off day of work, I believe that I'll have another beer while I stretch out in my lawn chair out back.

RE: What do you believe in? - Savas - 05-12-2014

Progressive Islam

Fixed natural order and destiny

Equality

Order, whatever the cost

As Doc said before, chivalry

Pragmatism

Among other things.

RE: What do you believe in? - Gaz83 - 05-12-2014

Beer.

RE: What do you believe in? - SL-X - 05-12-2014

Shrek.