Discovery Gaming Community
CPU Overclock - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: CPU Overclock (/showthread.php?tid=120682)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: CPU Overclock - onca - 09-17-2014

@SMGSterlin, AMD CPUs are good overclockers, especially the older models which had a lot of headroom for more gigahertz. Although bear in mind it is an older CPU -- if you do nothing else, I would recommend taking off the cooler and applying fresh thermal grease. Have a search on youtube, there are many good videos showing you how. There are also tons of good OC forums around, just have a bit of a google. (Not being rude, I don't OC at all myself Wink

Edit: Just to add, the old Thuban 6-core was a really good CPU, even compared to today's standards. But if you're serious about overclocking, I would recommend investing $30-40 in an aftermarket cooler... stock coolers (then and now) tend to be the lowest common denominator.

(09-17-2014, 09:00 AM)Zen_Mechanics Wrote: 50C after overcloak is Ideal, anything above 53 ( ( Without even having background proccess running ) can lead to severe damages to the cpu in the long run.

Wat???

Max temp for CPU is generally 70+ C, even higher for AMDs which are notorious for running hot. 53C is nothing, in fact it is oddly low for running Prime-95.. either he's running water cooling or he lives in Iceland Tongue

My stock un-OC'd Core i7 runs 68-70C while video encoding at 100% usage.

RE: CPU Overclock - |nfrared - 09-17-2014

(09-16-2014, 06:31 PM)SMGSterlin Wrote: I don't know that much about overclocking, so anyone got some advice?

(09-16-2014, 06:35 PM)Luke. Wrote: Top tip: If you're unsure, don't.

RE: CPU Overclock - tothebonezone - 09-17-2014

(09-17-2014, 09:00 AM)Zen_Mechanics Wrote: 50C after overcloak is Ideal, anything above 53 ( ( Without even having background proccess running ) can lead to severe damages to the cpu in the long run. Normaly, If you squeez your cpu too much until it reaches a point ( likely to be 68'C ) your computer will shut down.

Not even close.

CPUs start running hot in the 75C zone. It's safe, I just wouldn't recommend being there consistently, every day. At 80C+, it gets dangerous for your CPU.

The upper limit of most modern CPUs is 95C before they shutdown your PC in response to the heat.

70C on an air cooled, high end PC playing GPU and CPU intensive games is very common.

35-40C is an idle temperature.

RE: CPU Overclock - SMGSterlin - 09-18-2014

My CPU idles in that 35-40C range, just Firefox and a few background programs running. Motherboard is a bit higher, around 43C which is a little higher than I'd like, but normal for a room around 73 Fahrenheit with only an air cooled case.

Anyways, I'll overclock in babysteps and see how high the clock can go until the temp gets out of my comfort zone.

RE: CPU Overclock - Zen_Mechanics - 09-18-2014

(09-17-2014, 10:40 AM)Saronsen Wrote:
(09-17-2014, 09:00 AM)Zen_Mechanics Wrote: 50C after overcloak is Ideal, anything above 53 ( ( Without even having background proccess running ) can lead to severe damages to the cpu in the long run. Normaly, If you squeez your cpu too much until it reaches a point ( likely to be 68'C ) your computer will shut down.

Not even close.

CPUs start running hot in the 75C zone. It's safe, I just wouldn't recommend being there consistently, every day. At 80C+, it gets dangerous for your CPU.

The upper limit of most modern CPUs is 95C before they shutdown your PC in response to the heat.

70C on an air cooled, high end PC playing GPU and CPU intensive games is very common.

35-40C is an idle temperature.

For every time you pass the peak of 53 without running anything cripples the cpu and takes a year off its life span. You shouldn't overcloak if your room tempeture is relativly hot, in the 23-25'C. Ofcourse, gamers don't log three years later to tell you how they ruined their cpu because of that. Playing Crysis 3 on 50 after overcloak on my i7 is possible and it never passes it, Not to mention that Ive got no cooling system, apart from the stock fans.
Use it on your own risk it says, thats your cpu not mine.

RE: CPU Overclock - tothebonezone - 09-18-2014

(09-18-2014, 05:07 AM)Zen_Mechanics Wrote: For every time you pass the peak of 53 without running anything cripples the cpu and takes a year off its life span.

Let's assume that a no-lifer like me who games daily gets my CPU past 53C daily. In fact, multiple times daily, 3+.

I have a CPU that's still functional in my PC after three years. Are you telling me that CPUs have a lifespan of 2700+ years if they never go over 53C?

RE: CPU Overclock - onca - 09-18-2014

(09-18-2014, 12:07 AM)SMGSterlin Wrote: My CPU idles in that 35-40C range, just Firefox and a few background programs running. Motherboard is a bit higher, around 43C which is a little higher than I'd like, but normal for a room around 73 Fahrenheit with only an air cooled case.

That idling temp is a bit high, but not excessively so. Good plan though, read some blogs, watch some vid on the subject, and take it baby steps. And don't listen to those buzzkills who say "DON'T !!11!1!!1", you won't learn or experience anything that way.

RE: CPU Overclock - aakopa - 09-30-2014

Modern CPUs run fine around 80c if under load, even my idling temps are around 60c, and when you reach max temp CPU throttles, it doesn't shutdown or anything.

RE: CPU Overclock - Zen_Mechanics - 09-30-2014

(09-18-2014, 08:16 AM)Saronsen Wrote:
(09-18-2014, 05:07 AM)Zen_Mechanics Wrote: For every time you pass the peak of 53 without running anything cripples the cpu and takes a year off its life span.

Let's assume that a no-lifer like me who games daily gets my CPU past 53C daily. In fact, multiple times daily, 3+.

I have a CPU that's still functional in my PC after three years. Are you telling me that CPUs have a lifespan of 2700+ years if they never go over 53C?

it means that if you start using heavy programs/games, such as AE or Planetside 2 - The number of ticks that your cpu will perform would be doubled to compensate. That's not a good thing. Overcloaking is not pure science and its not 100% accurate - It may or it may not. But Its always best not to touch it too much and stress on it.

RE: CPU Overclock - tommyt127 - 10-02-2014

i have a liquid cooled 1100T (stock 3.32ghz) that runs to about 4.1-4.2 before glitching out without ram tweaks

at 3.3 stock it never goes over 23deg