Discovery Gaming Community
The Form of Discovery's RP - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: The Form of Discovery's RP (/showthread.php?tid=121790)

Pages: 1 2

RE: The Form of Discovery's RP - t0l - 10-15-2014

(10-15-2014, 02:21 PM)Chrystoph Wrote:
(10-15-2014, 01:47 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote:
(10-15-2014, 01:35 PM)Chrystoph Wrote: 'll cially find that sort of thing in the pirate crowd, they tend to abuse the RP rules by shooting a Cruise Disruptor from behind you, THEN talking. You have to take it because the CD is not an "Attack", even though Law Enforcement would call on you to stop first. Legal under the rules, but not realistic behavior outside a game.

its not an abuse of rp . Have you ever oirated before? No trader will kill their engine if you simply tell them to stop. A little encouragement is required.

That is a rationalization. With the intention of encouraging RP, all you are really doing is giving the pirate an advantage by forcing the other player to have to RP before they can defend themselves. Given that most pirates' idea of RP is, Gimme, it is a feeble argument at best.

If I'm chasing a trader who's cruising and I say "hey stop", what are the chances that they will?

If I ask a random person on the street at night to stop, what are the chances they will too?

If I rob someone's house (im about to be put on 3 different watchlists for using this example) I'm not going to ask them to open the door so I can come in.

RE: The Form of Discovery's RP - Thunderer - 10-15-2014

If you have seen huge, expensive capital ships typing less-than-wise words, they were probably also newcomers, possibly not yet familiar with role-play. Capital ships are not as hard and time consuming to obtain as you might think.
If you have heard them actually talking, they were using the programme called Teamspeak, which is meant for coordinating in video games without wasting time to type. It and its contents are out of role-play, and why do its users, being newcomers or veterans, act as they act, is beyond me. I don't use it.

RE: The Form of Discovery's RP - Alley - 10-15-2014

You'll find most of the real roleplay in the roleplay section of the forums, ingame RP tends to be meh unless you encounter an experienced player. Some people like spazzy are just here for the pvp and provide some rather low-quality roleplay just so it allows them to pvp just fine (and nobody's going to blame them). Liberty tends to be rather low quality as well outside of the official factions as it's the first house the newbies are dumped into when they first join the game.

If you're looking for some better roleplay, it's worth going through the stories & biographies section and why not communication channels and see what fits you.

RE: The Form of Discovery's RP - FeralCallsign - 10-15-2014

First, I'd like to thank you all for the warm welcome and for the calm, honest answer to my question. It speaks very well toward the community that this didn't devolve into a flamefest.

To answer some points/questions:

Yes, I understand the difference between in-game and the metagame and can differentiate between in-character chat and PMs/TS/group chat. Specifically, my grievance was with what was being broadcast system-wide and specifically in-character. I figure I will take much of your guys advice and diversify my characters across Sirius. I'll also dive into forum RP a bit more.