Discovery Gaming Community
How to RP planetside war? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: How to RP planetside war? (/showthread.php?tid=123483)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: How to RP planetside war? - Lonely_Ghost - 12-08-2014

(12-08-2014, 04:15 PM)Gypsie Skripto Wrote: I'd use another game for it. Like Battlefront 2 or even Halo.
Are you talking about Start Wars Battlefront 2?
Because, there are many mods, which improves original vanila game, like fixing weapons, firing effects, and even some unit's look.
Additionaly, there are variouse custom maps, which enhancing gameplay and putting it to a new level. For example, maps combining space and ground assaults. Ground map, and two ships are ower in sky. Ofrcs, in such fights, land technics aren't that effective, against fast moving fighter.

RE: How to RP planetside war? - WesternPeregrine - 12-08-2014

You can Also use that free to play ghost recon on steam (can't check name atm, ) for small scale skirmishes.

RE: How to RP planetside war? - t0l - 12-08-2014

(12-08-2014, 04:41 PM)Toris James Gray Wrote: You are all forgetting that Gallia has two (rather powerful) allies in fact, who are Rheinland and Kusari. Whilst they are not taking part in the warfare, they can give them assets.
What about making Rheinland and Kusari stuff 90% for GRN? I'd love on the other hand to see Valkiries in the GRN color pattern.
Rheinland (neutral to Bretonia) and Kusari (neutral to both Liberty and Bretonia) would be blatantly breaching neutrality if they supplied an opposition to both houses with their tech.
Anyways, we could always use Garry's Mod. Lots of preexisting mods and assets that can be combined to create something resembling Freelancer.

EDIT: Freelancer ships are actually already in GMod, I wouldnt think it would be particularly hard to port over more assets.

RE: How to RP planetside war? - Sciamach - 12-08-2014

(12-08-2014, 05:52 PM)Tal Wrote: EDIT: Freelancer ships are actually already in GMod, I wouldnt think it would be particularly hard to port over more assets.

A: that mod was horribly out of date last time I looked at it. While the ships were fun to use when they worked, that was literally years ago

B: Lua errors galore

C: ew effort

RE: How to RP planetside war? - Chuba - 12-08-2014

Go play planetside 2 and imagine its freelancer have fun.

RE: How to RP planetside war? - Hannibal - 12-08-2014

(12-08-2014, 02:57 PM)Pavel Wrote: I think about some sort of forum-based board game, with units being produced/delivered, with terrain control and development. Supplies and reinforcements delivered from other planets would play a major role, so forum-based game could be affected by actual in-game activity.

Not much of a ingame thing,if you ask me.
By that i mean that we all know how this sort of deliveries appear,fake screenshots because most of them dont bother to actually fly dozens of times same route when they can only do it once or worse do it in SinglePlayer

Alternatives? You will probably gonna hate me for saying it,but the only real way is to do it via a POB or lure alley into making a flhook script in order to make your idea into reality.. Big Grin

RE: How to RP planetside war? - Highland Laddie - 12-08-2014

(12-08-2014, 03:57 PM)Haste Wrote:
(12-08-2014, 03:14 PM)Highland Laddie Wrote: Leeds ... it would be cool if part of the outcome is dependent upon weapon/supply deliveries to either side.

Two issues here, though:

1. The activity of Gallia and Bretonia as houses is not representative of their 'activity' lore-wise.
  2. To make this issue more pronounced, the Bretonian side has a far larger pool of factions to draw from as allies of the house -> more factions = more activity = more supplies.

So essentially, Bretonia is practically guaranteed to 'win' this one simply because of the options available to them: the Colonial Movers, Libertonian corporations, Bretonian corporations. All of which are probably more active than Gallia's own corporations added up. In addition, corporate players in particular seem drawn to the side of the 'good guys' moreso than they are drawn to the 'bad guys'. This makes the event more of a Bretonian exclusive: Gallia's playerbase has no reason to cooperate as it is predestined to fail, so it's really just an exercise in how many 'supplies' Bretonian players can be arsed to move.

Well, that argument could be made both ways. At least up intil 4.87, it seemed like Bretonia was predestined to lose everything, and folks continue to talk about Bretonia like it is already doomed or dead. Why would any players on any side want to waste effort on a pre-set outcome?

If GRN players really wanted to win, they could put in the effort to do the supplying. They seem to have no trouble logging combat ships to stomp on LN/BAF in fleet actions. One would hope that dedication to continue in other ways.

RE: How to RP planetside war? - Haste - 12-08-2014

(12-08-2014, 07:44 PM)Highland Laddie Wrote: If GRN players really wanted to win, they could put in the effort to do the supplying.  They seem to have no trouble logging combat ships to stomp on LN/BAF in fleet actions.  One would hope that dedication to continue in other ways.

The point I brought up that you are overlooking is that there is a larger number of factions that would, roleplay-wise, aid the Bretonian side than the Gallic side. Despite Gallia's ties with Rheinland and Kusari, it would make little sense that either house would come to their aid (or even be allowed to do so, inRP) with military supplies with regards to Leeds' siege.

We all know that factions' player populations never match their inRP numbers. So in 99.999% of all cases, it's safe to say that more factions = more players. Assuming we all have about as much time to waste on this game, more players = more supplies. So it's not a contest to begin with. You can't expect Gallia's nonexistent playerbase (GRN really is/was the only active faction by a long shot) to somehow match the activity of a dozen 'enemy' factions when it comes to trading. And GRN isn't a trading faction to begin with.

RE: How to RP planetside war? - SMGSterlin - 12-08-2014

(12-08-2014, 07:03 PM)Chuba Wrote: Go play planetside 2 and imagine its freelancer have fun.

RE: How to RP planetside war? - Lonely_Ghost - 12-08-2014

What about RTS? For example, alternative game for space battles could be Homeworld 2. I played a lot of mods for this game, and it still has a lot of potential.
Games, like Supreme Commander or C&C might also feat role for land battles.