Discovery Gaming Community
I think I cold-damaged my office PC - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: I think I cold-damaged my office PC (/showthread.php?tid=124100)

Pages: 1 2

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - baivan - 12-29-2014

(12-29-2014, 06:34 PM)VinitS Wrote:
(12-29-2014, 09:30 AM)baivan Wrote: IF it is damaged,it wasn't the cold.
Maybe the cleaning-lady?

My tip:open it,disconnect all the cables,check the power unit,connect all the cables,fire it up with fingers crossed.

P.S
I advise you never to turn off work-pc.Just disconnect it from network when you have vacation.

you invented some clean energy or something? Advising people to waste energy.....
its your money but its the cost of resources earth has to payy...

Look at it this way.

You leave your PC on,it lives longer,but the poor earth
You turn your PC off,it lives shorter,you buy parts to repair it,parts costs resources + energy,the poor earth again
There is no way around it.
So whatever happens, Syndroms damaged PC is damaging the earth,and so is fixing it!

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - sindroms - 12-29-2014

Nobody cares about the poor oith.

I warmed up the place to 18c and the damn thing still won't boot. Gonna go to work in seven hours from now and hope that some magical fairy fixed it over night. If not, well- damn.

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - baivan - 12-29-2014

If you dont wanna open it,can you maybe boot from a CD/USB?
Thatway you can check the system for errors.

and btw,what did you mean by "second bios page"?

Do you have control of BIOS or not(can you load the default BIOS settings)?

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - Hudson Trading Company - 12-29-2014

I've had some of my pc's get down to -10F before with no problems. Heat, moisture, power surges and improperly grounded electrical systems have been my main issues over the years.

I've also done some testing with pcs or laptops in sleep mode vs powering down/up daily. It's often more efficient to just let them go into sleep mode.

Light bulbs tend to be the same way, at least CFl's and incadescent. Not sure about LED's.

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - R.I.P. - 12-30-2014

Sounds like it is doing what one of my old PCs did when the video card went out, is it on board graphics or an add in card?

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - Mickk - 12-30-2014

(12-29-2014, 11:03 PM)sindroms Wrote: Nobody cares about the poor oith.

I warmed up the place to 18c and the damn thing still won't boot. Gonna go to work in seven hours from now and hope that some magical fairy fixed it over night. If not, well- damn.

As somebody asked previously, is it a work PC, as in owned by the company?

If it's not your company, then it's not your PC, call the IT guys at work and tell them it's broken. lol

Also, you have been away from work for a week, who knows who could have mucked about with your PC.

As for not turning off your PC, I don't turn mine off, unless I'm actually going to be away for more than a day or so.

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - sindroms - 12-30-2014

The company is mine.
The PC is mine.
The rooms belong to me.

It was the card in the end. It was an old inno3d fx 5600-8x AGP, so I am trying to dig up some old AGP card from under my bed.

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - R.I.P. - 12-30-2014

(12-30-2014, 08:56 AM)sindroms Wrote: The company is mine.
The PC is mine.
The rooms belong to me.

It was the card in the end. It was an old inno3d fx 5600-8x AGP, so I am trying to dig up some old AGP card from under my bed.

Ahh cool, better than it being the PC. Hope you find one.

RE: I think I cold-damaged my office PC - Mickk - 12-31-2014

(12-30-2014, 08:56 AM)sindroms Wrote: The company is mine.
The PC is mine.
The rooms belong to me.

Oh good. At least you know where the problem is now.

I think I have an old AGP card around here somewhere..... problem is I'm in Australia, so it would cost far more than the card is worth to get it to you. lol