Discovery Gaming Community
PC cooling help - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: PC cooling help (/showthread.php?tid=124379)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: PC cooling help - Radion - 01-07-2015

Mickk summed up just about everything, and cleaning existing components is the best way to reduce noise and temps (I recently opened my gpu after four years of use and cleaned a mess of dust from it, going from crashing in most games due to temperatures reaching 150C to 60C at load.) Airflow is also important, and unless you are prioritizing silence, more fans are better, if you want a compromise between the two, once again noctua sells some quiet fans as well. Your case is fine for most aftermarket coolers, and if you wanted to get one, it would be based on your personal preference. For silence, go for an air cooler, if you want to overclock or have it be somewhat quiet, go for an all in one liquid cooler. You probably won't get a fan-less setup regardless of your choice, as that amd cpu probably releases quite a bit of heat, but there are plenty of ways to have it run quieter. You also mentioned gpu cooling in your original post, and looking at the card, there are no available solutions out there. The most you could do is open it and dust it.

RE: PC cooling help - Hudson Trading Company - 01-07-2015

This may not be the best advice for everyone, so take it with a grain of salt.

Since around 2002 whenever I get a new case/pc the very first thing I do is take off the side panel and just never put it back on. I've never had a serious issue with dust since I started that. Sure, dust goes in, but it goes out just as easily. With the case closed up, dust goes in and then stays in till you clean it.

Also super convenient for making hardware changes.

A big downside is it's easier to accidentally spill something liquidy inside the case and that's bad.

When I did my lastest rebuild, I just took a piece of plywood, maybe 24" x 30" or so and attached the motherboard and whatnot right to it and it's just sitting on a shelf. Been that way close to a year now.

Although, I will probably build a legit wooden box with hinges and a handle or handles soon to make it more portable.

Something reminiscent of this ->
https://img0.etsystatic.com/025/0/7378430/il_340x270.603281560_j4d0.jpg

I was going to mention just replacing the stock coolers but that's been covered pretty well.

RE: PC cooling help - Danny-boy - 01-07-2015

(01-07-2015, 04:54 PM)Hudson Trading Company Wrote: This may not be the best advice for everyone, so take it with a grain of salt.

Since around 2002 whenever I get a new case/pc the very first thing I do is take off the side panel and just never put it back on. I've never had a serious issue with dust since I started that. Sure, dust goes in, but it goes out just as easily. With the case closed up, dust goes in and then stays in till you clean it.

Also super convenient for making hardware changes.

A big downside is it's easier to accidentally spill something liquidy inside the case and that's bad.

When I did my lastest rebuild, I just took a piece of plywood, maybe 24" x 30" or so and attached the motherboard and whatnot right to it and it's just sitting on a shelf. Been that way close to a year now.

Although, I will probably build a legit wooden box with hinges and a handle or handles soon to make it more portable.

Something reminiscent of this ->
https://img0.etsystatic.com/025/0/7378430/il_340x270.603281560_j4d0.jpg

I was going to mention just replacing the stock coolers but that's been covered pretty well.

This is a really silly idea, cases are designed so that cold air is sucked in through the front grates as hot air is blown out the back of the case, taking off the side of the case will completely mess up the air flow of the system and temperatures will rise.

Not only this a ton more dust will move into the CPU/GPU fans and get caught there and make your heat problems worse.

This isn't even getting into the health and safety aspect of small children/pets touching the fans inside the PC or getting an electric shock, it is also easier to spill drinks onto the electronics etc.

Before you invest in a £99999999999999 mega ice cooler that comes with an industrial grade extraction fan please try what I did.

A while back when I had my AMD CPU (this problem ofc doesn't occur with just AMD, it just so happens that I had an AMD CPU then), I would notice the fan being horridly loud and occasionally my pc would even crash. After hours of testing drivers and bios fan settings (where I noticed my CPU was reaching 100 degrees centigrade before crashing the PC) I decided to take my PC apart and looked at the CPU. All the thermal paste had dried up.

I recommend buying some thermal paste and applying that to your CPU as this is likely the cause of your issues (because with a lack of thermal paste the CPU retains a lot of the heat instead of it passing to the heat sink, thus the CPU would get really hot really quick and the fan would go into super-loud mode). Applying a bit of thermal paste will improve the the rate at which the CPU transfers heat to the heat sink therefore reducing the need for the fan to spin at 1000000000000 times a second causing a very horrible sound. Ultimately, your system will be running cooler and quieter.

I personally recommend buying some thermal paste from this website, I often use them myself to buy computer parts (Although depending on where you live buying from here may not be an option, for reference I live in the UK): http://www.dabs.com/search?q=thermal%20paste

RE: PC cooling help - aakopa - 01-07-2015

Noctua NH-D15 is really quiet and performs better than some closed loop watercoolers.

RE: PC cooling help - Rebirth - 01-07-2015

Buying any of the FX-8XXX or FX-9XXX series is/was not a clever idea. They are wasting a lot of energy the FX-9590 uses 2,5x more energy as a good one from Intel. So what does this mean?

AMD - 8 Logical Cores, 4 Physical Modules < actually only the power of 4 cores divided by 2 and overclocked to get 4,7 GHz.

Intel - 8 Physical Cores, 4 Physical Modules < 8 Real Cores that work together with a fair amount of cache within 4 modules.

This is just an example, I'm not very well known about Intel but buying an AMD CPU that came out later then the AMD Phenom II Series is pretty silly. Except the FX-8XXXE series. They are designed to be more energy efficient.

If you want to buy a new CPU - wait 4 months on the Cebit they will show off their new series and 2 months after it is out the prices will drop from 700 € down to 350 € for their new series. The new series will be energy efficient and powerful. Otherwise you could go ahead now and buy an Intel CPU. Intel has a better Performance on a lot of stuff, and more Cache then AMD so their CPU is faster.

You can compare AMD = BMW, VW etc.. and Intel as Mercedes, Lamborghini

AMD has very good CPU's for fair prices but Intel does deliver better quality/performance at all. Also you have to made be aware of when you buy an AMD CPU that says '4,7 GHz with Turbo up to 5,0 GHz' you will never reach 5,0 GHz. Without Turbo you will have 4,2-4,3 and with Turbo maximally 4,7 GHz. You get 10 % less GHz for sure. The companies don't lie but they are testing the CPUs under for us impossible circumstances. But when you buy an Intel CPU that says 4 GHz you will get 3,8 - 3,9 GHz maximally. Now you need to think if its worth to buy an AMD CPU, for me it is. As they are only 15 % more bad then Intel CPUs in gaming performance but 35 % cheaper so it was a fair deal until after AMD Phenom II series, when they raised the power input x2,5.

regards,
Rebirth

RE: PC cooling help - Danny-boy - 01-07-2015

(01-07-2015, 08:55 PM)Rebirth Wrote: Buying any of the FX-8XXX or FX-9XXX series is/was not a clever idea. They are wasting a lot of energy the FX-9590 uses 2,5x more energy as a good one from Intel. So what does this mean?

AMD - 8 Logical Cores, 4 Physical Modules < actually only the power of 4 cores divided by 2 and overclocked to get 4,7 GHz.

Intel - 8 Physical Cores, 4 Physical Modules < 8 Real Cores that work together with a fair amount of cache within 4 modules.

This is just an example, I'm not very well known about Intel but buying an AMD CPU that came out later then the AMD Phenom II Series is pretty silly. Except the FX-8XXXE series. They are designed to be more energy efficient.

If you want to buy a new CPU - wait 4 months on the Cebit they will show off their new series and 2 months after it is out the prices will drop from 700 € down to 350 € for their new series. The new series will be energy efficient and powerful. Otherwise you could go ahead now and buy an Intel CPU. Intel has a better Performance on a lot of stuff, and more Cache then AMD so their CPU is faster.

You can compare AMD = BMW, VW etc.. and Intel as Mercedes, Lamborghini

AMD has very good CPU's for fair prices but Intel does deliver better quality/performance at all. Also you have to made be aware of when you buy an AMD CPU that says '4,7 GHz with Turbo up to 5,0 GHz' you will never reach 5,0 GHz. Without Turbo you will have 4,2-4,3 and with Turbo maximally 4,7 GHz. You get 10 % less GHz for sure. The companies don't lie but they are testing the CPUs under for us impossible circumstances. But when you buy an Intel CPU that says 4 GHz you will get 3,8 - 3,9 GHz maximally. Now you need to think if its worth to buy an AMD CPU, for me it is. As they are only 15 % more bad then Intel CPUs in gaming performance but 35 % cheaper so it was a fair deal until after AMD Phenom II series, when they raised the power input x2,5.

regards,
Rebirth

Yeah, long story short INTEL > AMD
INTEL are also around twice an expensive as AMD and if you are building a gaming/mid-high end PC you want to invest more money in a GPU than a CPU (Not saying you don't want to get a good CPU - you do, But an AMD processor is fine for most games and gives you an extra £150 or so to spend on getting a decent GPU).

Also this is off topic - we are talking about making his PC run cooler/quieter, not which processor he should have invested in.

RE: PC cooling help - Explorer487 - 01-10-2015

Personally my rig consists of three 120MM Artic Intake and one 92MM Artic Exhaust, though i do have a PSU which also helps in the exhaust sorta area since it's top mounted and has a fan which sucks air from inside the case also though i don't count this 120MM.
With proper configuration, it can run quite quiet. Granted it took me about 35 minutes to get the software to control them properly. In my experience, having bigger fans which run slower is efficient and quiet, running a stock cooler i notice a huge difference since the two side mounted direct airflow at both the CPU and the GPU, reducing the strain on thier own respective fans so they also run slower and quieter.
Cleaning though, regularly makes most of the odds for me. Pulled my Heatsink off after 6 months and found 8MM of dust under it, literally. So now i clean it every month (This is just the design of my CPU cooler) It seems to trap dust between the heatsink and the Mobo and it just causes it to cook. Probably should invest in a new cooler for that soon, but meh. It's not let my CPU temp get above 38C, so i'm not gonna bother.
Finally, i buy decent thermal paste and change it every 6-8 months or so. Again Artic brand, all thier cooling gear hasn't ever been a let down to me

RE: PC cooling help - 13CentKiller - 01-20-2015

(01-10-2015, 01:41 AM)Explorer487 Wrote: Cleaning though, regularly makes most of the odds for me. Pulled my Heatsink off after 6 months and found 8MM of dust under it, literally. So now i clean it every month (This is just the design of my CPU cooler) It seems to trap dust between the heatsink and the Mobo and it just causes it to cook. Probably should invest in a new cooler for that soon, but meh. It's not let my CPU temp get above 38C, so i'm not gonna bother.
Finally, i buy decent thermal paste and change it every 6-8 months or so. Again Artic brand, all thier cooling gear hasn't ever been a let down to me

I hope, if you're removing the heatsink every month, you are replacing the thermal paste every month instead of every 6 to 8. It should always be replaced after removal. Unless I read it wrong and you clean the heatsink when attached to the chip and remove it to clean the paste off and re-apply every 6 or so months.

For me, I have a monster attached to my AMD Thunban X6 Hexacore 3.0GHz CPU @ 3.9GHz. It's a Noctua NH-D14 with the Noctua thermal paste. It's also a very highly regarded thermal compound and works great. The great thing about the stock AMD coolers, is they are actually quite good. But once you start overclocking, it's time to upgrade. I managed 3.6GHz on the stock cooler without any brash sanding measures. But I started hitting the 70 degree mark which is where I get twitchy.

With the NH-D14, my rig never exceeds 42 degrees celcious under full load on an average day. This is rendering frames, playing games or small FFTs. Totally stable and it's lasted me 5 odd years. Noctua is pricy but if you want quality, you pay for it.

The larger your case, the more room you have for cooling and the less you have to worry about things getting too hot. I have a 120mm intake in front of my hard working hard disks and two 200mm extractors up top. I've also got a 120mm extractor at the back which the Noctua blows air in to after drawing the cool air from the front. The large 250mm fan on the side sucks cool air in also.

RE: PC cooling help - Govedo13 - 01-21-2015

(01-07-2015, 06:36 PM)aakopa Wrote: Noctua NH-D15 is really quiet and performs better than some closed loop watercoolers.
+1
Non custom closed loop watercoolers are waste of money. You can get proper cooler for 40-60E. Noctua are bit expensive but they do the job nice. For CPU personally I would go full http://www.thermalright.com/
Same results but cheaper. Slap a Macho or True Spirit 140 with 2x ty140 low RPM PWA fans on the CPU. For paste the best that I found due to many different types is Phobya HeGrease Extreme.

If you have also any corsair fans inside your PC -retire them- they suck. Check if you can mount the said 140 mm fans on sides and front they are great if not then search the net for effective low rpm( less then 1000) low Db fans.

Also check your PSU and your GPU fans if they are too loud you can replace them as well, however it would void your guarantee on PSU, if you keep the default GPU fan system and replace it with custom one the guarantee stays.
I suggest to use SpeedFan for managing your fans- really great program.

RE: PC cooling help - sindroms - 01-21-2015

Okay.

Disregard my comment about the cooler I am using.
Apparently the Asrock motherboard that I use had specifically stated that it needs a top-down cooling unit in order to keep the parts around the CPU nest cool as well. Something that the cooler I am using now does not provide.