Discovery Gaming Community
Minor problem with pirates - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Minor problem with pirates (/showthread.php?tid=124661)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Minor problem with pirates - Deeceem - 01-13-2015

In general for the future: if you have to go afk either dock on a base (which in your case would have been an easy solution), fly about 30 K above/below plane or make 100% sure that it is very unlikely that you will run into anyone while being afk.

They were within their rights and I'd even argue within rp-reason. If being mute would protect you from being pirated and destroyed we could also just remove every piracy line on every ID, because everyone who would get pirated could just ignore the pirate.

RE: Minor problem with pirates - Jayce - 01-14-2015

(01-13-2015, 09:49 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: We knocked and had no response. So, the only logical conclusion from that point was to burn the house down.
We don't know if you're away from your keyboard for 5 minutes, or if you're actually sat at the monitor deliberately acting silent. Or worse: calling for help. The moral of the story here is that if you need to afk, you don't afk in space where the big bad JMs stalk, you afk whilst docked on the station.

Space is a dangerous place.

AFK = A Free Kill. Always has, always will.

RE: Minor problem with pirates - The.Outlaw.Star - 01-14-2015

(01-14-2015, 05:23 AM)Jayce Wrote:
(01-13-2015, 09:49 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: We knocked and had no response. So, the only logical conclusion from that point was to burn the house down.
We don't know if you're away from your keyboard for 5 minutes, or if you're actually sat at the monitor deliberately acting silent. Or worse: calling for help. The moral of the story here is that if you need to afk, you don't afk in space where the big bad JMs stalk, you afk whilst docked on the station.

Space is a dangerous place.

AFK = A Free Kill. Always has, always will.

I'll agree, well said! In space there is no "afk"

RE: Minor problem with pirates - sindroms - 01-14-2015

This IS a pvp server. Since the game we are using is Freelancer. It just happens to involve RP elements due to the nature of this community and mod. But in the end, no matter how you look at it, it is a pvp-centric server.

RE: Minor problem with pirates - Sath - 01-14-2015

(01-13-2015, 07:45 PM)Mortyr Wrote: Today i had a confused situation.
I was camping at "home" (Java station) with my mining ship.
Then 2 pirates or something arrived with JM tag.
While i was away of the computer (for like 5 minutes)
They tried to pirate me but since they got no answer then they decided to kill me.

I'm just confused here...is that enough to blow my
ship into pieces? I mean it's RP server not PvP server, why bother killing someone who
doesn't reply and doesn't even have anything to pirate for...

Why bother being logged in when you are away from your computer for a considerable time? You sound more like a scrub. And stop with the "this is a RP server" shit already. Yeah it is, and rules make sure that it won't be forgotten. You don't need to be too smart about it.

RE: Minor problem with pirates - throughusei1 - 01-14-2015

What is a scrub? Is 5 minutes a considerable time? Do you know if it was intentional or whether he had to attend to something urgent IRL?

RE: Minor problem with pirates - Sath - 01-14-2015

(01-14-2015, 09:52 AM)throughusei1 Wrote: What is a scrub? Is 5 minutes a considerable time? Do you know if it was intentional or whether he had to attend to something urgent IRL?

I wouldn't be leaving my ship logged in like that and go away if I had anything important to do irl. And not certainly blame the ones who destroyed my ship and bring out unnecessary arguments in here. If he had something urgent to attend irl, he should have docked his ship (he had time to park the ship beside the base, but not dock it, eh?) and went, if he cared enough.

I once had my ship left out like that and forgot about it. When I returned back, my ship was killed. I then found out who killed me, using the logs and apologised to him and his faction leader for not responding while they killed my ship. I never thought of accusing them for "finding an easy kill". Nor the "hurr durr this is RP server not PvP!!!".

And btw, 5 minutes is more than considerable time. I would have done the same, if I hadn't got a response within a minute or two.

RE: Minor problem with pirates - Anomander - 01-14-2015

(01-13-2015, 07:45 PM)Mortyr Wrote: 'm just confused here...is that enough to blow my ship into pieces?
Yes - that is enought to blow your ship.
(01-13-2015, 07:45 PM)Mortyr Wrote: I mean it's RP server not PvP server, why bother killing someone who doesn't reply and doesn't even have anything to pirate for...
Indeed it's an RP server, and since You were not responding - inRP they have all right to blow your ship
if You need an RP reason - I might give You some:

reason 1) Failing to meet pirate demand
reason 2) Ignoring their demands - what could simply make them angry
reason 3) Remain silien and the meantime call for backup
reason 4) Empty ship in space - most likely abandoned? Best choice is chopped it into a pieces and sell the scraps.
reason 5) IFF matching bounty-hunt requirements

Just pick any nr. You want - and stop complaining Tongue

RE: Minor problem with pirates - Alestone - 01-14-2015

It amazes me the lengths people on this server will go to rationalize their behavior.

The original post was request for CLARIFICATION. It has turned into a trial by forum, not based on what happened, but based on the PIRATES' need to justify what they did.

Everyone agrees that it was within the rules, so why are you all attacking the person that made the original post?

I see a series of guilty consciences speaking eloquently of recognition that you were legally in the right, and that you acted in bad sportsmanship. Otherwise, this wouldn't have devolved into what it has become.

You "won" the argument, now be mature enough to not be a jerk about it.

RE: Minor problem with pirates - Mímir - 01-14-2015

Well on one hand I regret wording my post so sharply considering that it is a relatively new player, but to be fair the OP did contain value-judgements regarding the pirates' behavior (a behavior which was very much legitimate). I think that part in the OP lead to the reactions in the thread.

You yourself do the same, by the way. Talking about "guilty consciences" and "bad sportsmanship" you make assumptions and judgements regarding posts made in this thread, and that is maybe not entirely fair either?