Discovery Gaming Community
Guard ID's in 4.85 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Guard ID's in 4.85 (/showthread.php?tid=12662)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Guard ID's in 4.85 - Monk - 10-21-2008

Well, Jinx, the way I see it is he GB is a way to fly a nicely powered ship if you want to do some RP as a captain of a small crew. It is easy to get into if you are a player who doesn't have a lot of free time but still wants to play that avenue (it doesn't take hours upon hours to get the money for it). From what I hear it is going to be even tougher to get a guard rep. I just think this is far to restrictive and will scare away the more casual player. Sorry if my opinion is late but its just how i feel.

EDIT: Also, I think the GB being classed a capital ship is a bit of a misnomer anyhow. Battleships and cruisers definitely fit into the category of capital ships. From wikipedia "The capital ships of a navy are its "important" warships; the ones with the heaviest firepower and armor. There is usually no formal criterion for the classification, but it is a useful concept when thinking about strategy, for instance to compare relative naval strengths in a theater of operations without having to get bogged down in the details of tonnage and gun diameters. A capital ship is generally a leading or a primary ship in a fleet."

EDIT2: I think a GB fits better with frigate or corvette classes which are not capitals.

Guard ID's in 4.85 - OsoRojo - 10-21-2008

Curious, so are GBs going to require Guard tag?

Also, if so, this will not limit many due to the fact many variations shall apply. For example, I plan to go for OC Guard, which allows for a large ZoI ranging from 13, to Alpha, to NY, and it provides many opportunities for RP and action. I however, from time immemorial, have stress this trend of regulating will mushroom and it is and will.

Regardless, I shall adapt, as always, and have fun doing so, pitty this reg-trend.

Osorojo

Guard ID's in 4.85 - Jinx - 10-21-2008

@Monk:

yes - gunboats are THE class to have an easy time RPing while not being too powerful or too vulnerable.

but i d still support the ID proposals - mostly, cause i know that players will find their way to play what they want anyway. it won t matter much how much we limit the IDs or the rules... players will find a way. worst case is tha the "special characters" section will be bursting with requests and the admins will pull extra shifts....

personally - i do not like so many restrictions though - but thats subjective and from my experience with disco...

when i started, i discovered (!) - i bourght many ships - funny setups, exotic weapons on strange ships. - no one ever complained. - of COURSE i bourght me a RH battleship at one time. ( cause its frelling big ) - and sold it 1 hour later after being stuck in asteroids ( learning by doing )...

a lot of what i did back then would get me sanctioned instantly today... cause back then, reporting / sanctioning was a last resort. - people talked before reporting. - today, its a sport... a first option for some to report and gloat over the sanction reports.

more restrictions = more reports = more sanctions. - it ll satisfy those that like to "punish" others in a ooRP way. - those that RP will not be affected much.

having a guard ID will not be too hard ( except for factions without enemies - cause from what i read - bribes will not affect the guard ID anymore in 4.85 -- so, there ll really be few zoner warships around since there is... well, no zoner enemy - so no way to really raise the guard faction )

for most military organized factions though - getting the guard rep up won t be much trouble.

mind, one will not be able to fly a fully independent ( for once, thats how the term "independent" should be used ) character that explores without any bonds to any NPC faction. - but people say that bombers and VHF do just fine.
like i said - not my opinion - but i think the IDs were throught out - and ... you will remember... many a players asked for restrictions ( sometimes they did not intend to have the nerfhammer hit their own faction , but there we go - equal rights to all - but the special factions )

edit:

the positive side of everything considered a warship being bound to a guard ID is that those ships are only in the hands of those that worked their faction up enough. ( mind, we ll still get some with a wrong tag of course, cause tagging and fixing the rep are not identical issues )

all in all - we WON T get less warships. - we ll get more players dedicated to the faction though. - so while we won t get less BHG in gunships maybe, we get more BHG in gunships that are really BHG ( and not some random police tagged, merc ID )

the negative side is that every factions ( but special factions ) ZoI will be defined and limited - which is a bugger. - but we do have special IDs for those who wish to explore ( or at least we might have them ) - what ships they will be allowed to use though is not clear.

point is - as an example:

a zoner in a warship is a guardian, not an explorer. - those ships are dedicated to one station and never move unless there is a VERY good reason. - every warship is meant to be used that way sort of. - taking them out to attack as a fleet or whatever is bound to an "event" - and in an event setting, i am certain that the ZoI restrictions are void.

random people who have not decided yet will fly bombers or SHF that offer just enough protection. - it won t take long till players figure out what ship is still the "most powerful generic ship" and that ship will get spammed then. - thats a logical result of every restrictive policy.

Guard ID's in 4.85 - Zork - 10-21-2008

does i understand it right? if i buy a destroyer or a BS... im not allowed to leave to home systems with this?

or is it allowed to attack some enemies in other systems with my cap ships?

I see your points Jinx, they are good. I am not entirely certain this will keep people from spamming cap ships. Removing ridiculous trade routes didn't do it, increasing the prices of caps didn't do it and adding the battleship license only seems to have stemmed it a little (keeping people from having multiple caps). This, to me, just adds another speed bump that these tireless cap wannabes will just dredge through like everything else thrown at them.

I am glad to hear the Guard rep isn't as hard to get as I thought. That comforts me as I have less and less free time. I suppose we will just have to see these measures in action to see if they work.

You are aware that it is your obessions with these wannabes that is the lowering the game's fun, right? I view them as targets for practice. If they desire to fight, I oblige, and if they wish to RP, thats just icing on the cake.

Before you jump on me, remember, I have been on their hit-list for sometime, and, to be honest, have enjoyed the encounters with those quiet BH.

OsoRojo

one quote that i have saved though is that:

"No player faction (official or otherwise) is allowed to prevent a correctly ID and tagged player from entering the guard system to purchase any ships, equipment or IDs that may be contained within the Guard system. They may, however, prevent anyone from entering if they have a hostile ship, hostile IFF or hostile or neutral ID to the NPC faction that owns the system." ( Kuraine )

( http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?sh...mp;#entry386938 )

my initial concern was that powerhungry players might bully those who wish to get ships / IDs cause its "their" system. - but that won t happen ... if IDed / tagged correctly. NO player must ever stop you to get the ship / ID you want.

so all it really does it to make those wishing to fly a capital ship to "work a little harder" and make it less likely that you see them as BHG one day - and as corsairs another.

Indeed...I have enjoyed popping BHG caps...it is nearly past time now. However, it sorta lacks RP. And all these restrictions have been about curbing cap usage overall. Personally, I think this is all going to add to the work admins will have as people WILL disregard the ZoI restrictions but perhaps, over time, it will reduce.

Aye, that was my thought as well. I pitty the Admins for the red-tape now falling upon them due to this new reg-trend.

the ZoI issue will be a problem. - its hard to have all the disco rules in mind. - harder to "know" your faction - and not you also have to learn geography and learn the sometimes rather illogical ZoIs of factions. ( no, not all systems that a faction deals with are really logical - some are even made up by players )

the best thing is to talk to the offenders and deal with such incidents on a player to player level before going to report it. -

but those that love to report - will have lots of opportunity then.

even if its only something like a destroyer chasing a fleeing opponent. - once the destroyer is out of his ZoI - should he stop? even if in RP - an escaping enemy might bring the factions downfall? - or shoudl he keep chasing and ... well... being sanctioned for being ooRP for being out of his capital ship ZoI. - will other players point their fingers and say "cry me a river, you should have used a fighter" or will they show sympathy. ... lots of uncertainty still.