Discovery Gaming Community
Cloaks and docking on hostile stations: Spice it up a knotch - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Cloaks and docking on hostile stations: Spice it up a knotch (/showthread.php?tid=132047)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Cloaks and docking on hostile stations: Spice it up a knotch - Coin - 07-29-2015

inRP:
Docking computer: humm, a cloaked ship is trying to dock with us, should i give permission?
Docking human: aw hell no, last time we did that we were under attack.

:crazy:

However, what if the docking permissions could be 'bribed'? as in small freighters with reps of -5 to -6 could dock on the backside of leeds if they paid a fee

RE: Cloaks and docking on hostile stations: Spice it up a knotch - Antonio - 07-29-2015

Exactly. I don't see this working.

RE: Cloaks and docking on hostile stations: Spice it up a knotch - Tarator - 07-29-2015

I see huge potential for problems, and drama in this, can't see hows it gonna work. People above already made the points out, so I'll spare it.

RE: Cloaks and docking on hostile stations: Spice it up a knotch - Hannibal - 07-29-2015

What if we limit who can dock while cloaked? Mostly qusilawfuls like Freelancers,Junkers, those who need it for smuggling and not attacking other players

RE: Cloaks and docking on hostile stations: Spice it up a knotch - Binski - 07-29-2015

I knew this would meet traditional opposition. Its called 'spice things up' for a reason. Now is the time to come up with some ideas to make what can be a monotonous routine seem a little more exciting. I'm really not sure what harm would really come of it, and as to inrp reasons, well, use your imagination. I think for cloakers and smugglers this would be more enticing, and add to activity for those authority roles out to catch them. With a few exceptions, I'm sure this could be applied and used well. Live bold people, outside the box, for just once. Otherwise I knew exactly how this suggestion would be met, and its so predictable! Someone used the word 'slaughter'...? Come one...with population being what it is, I highly doubt it would result in that much chaos, or be any final nail. I think the potential benefits to players outweigh any potential negative impacts, which would all be dealt with inrp.

RE: Cloaks and docking on hostile stations: Spice it up a knotch - Fluffyball - 07-29-2015

What about we have some planets a respective unlawful faction backdoor instead? (Vide Leeds satelite.) This would make FR5 less overpowered (lets be honest about it - fear about being FR5 kills potential smuggler roleplay), but you can still smuggle cardamine as an Outcast or Hacker to Texas that way.

Limitation: Up to freighters.
Reason: Not to be OP too much.
Effect: Cooperation between smugglers with freighters and transports.
Possible outcome: Buffed up illegal cargo prices.

RE: Cloaks and docking on hostile stations: Spice it up a knotch - Tarator - 07-29-2015

(07-29-2015, 10:28 AM)TheUnforgiven Wrote: I knew this would meet traditional opposition. Its called 'spice things up' for a reason. Now is the time to come up with some ideas to make what can be a monotonous routine seem a little more exciting. I'm really not sure what harm would really come of it, and as to inrp reasons, well, use your imagination. I think for cloakers and smugglers this would be more enticing, and add to activity for those authority roles out to catch them. With a few exceptions, I'm sure this could be applied and used well. Live bold people, outside the box, for just once. Otherwise I knew exactly how this suggestion would be met, and its so predictable! Someone used the word 'slaughter'...? Come one...with population being what it is, I highly doubt it would result in that much chaos, or be any final nail. I think the potential benefits to players outweigh any potential negative impacts, which would all be dealt with inrp.

Well, it might possibly work, but only after cloak disruptors get completely implemented in the market, and their use becomes wide enough. And I guess if this idea ever gets implemented, it will have to come out with all range of limitations, by IFF or ship class or whatever, which only means more work for the devs.

Also as other people mentioned, how a cloaked vessel that is docked with a hostile installation, would even be justified remaining there inRP etc.

I can't see many reasons for this idea to get through tbh.

RE: Cloaks and docking on hostile stations: Spice it up a knotch - Laura C. - 07-29-2015

I understand your motivation, but lets not lie to ourself - the proposed use for RP will be minor. Those who really want to RP prison breaks, station boardings and such will always find a way even without this as they did in the past.

So lets look on this from pragmatic point of view. Basically this will provide unlawfuls posibility to dock on any base, thus I can imagine unlawfuls going on full cargo piracy because they could sell their cargo for highest price with this, even when operating solo. And I would say this would be quickly major use of this feature. In short:

1. Slap cloak on pirate transport
2. Go wait in system with ore selling point
3. Make cargo piracy and get like 2 000 units of ore
4. Profit (18-20 million per delivery)

Is this what we want to allow?

To mention some other problems - apart from coding (I donĀ“t know how difficult this would be), how about inRP troubles for station owners? Some unlawful dock on some corporate base and then is spotted by someone when undocking. Screenshot is made, report about harbouring criminals or even enemies of state is sent to police and station owner is now in trouble which he could not prevent...

RE: Cloaks and docking on hostile stations: Spice it up a knotch - Fluffyball - 07-29-2015

(07-29-2015, 10:48 AM)Laura C. Wrote: (...)

1. Slap cloak on pirate transport
2. Go wait in system with ore selling point
3. Make cargo piracy and get like 2 000 units of ore
4. Profit (18-20 million per delivery)

Is this what we want to allow?

Actually, I see nothing wrong in doing that, because 20 million per delivery is nothing - you earn circa 16 million on normal non-ore cargo with 3600 ship. If it was 60 million per delivery, I'd be against it (because this is how much 5kers earn on ore, if not more.)

Check my idea instead, which is up there.

RE: Cloaks and docking on hostile stations: Spice it up a knotch - Antonio - 07-29-2015

What are you talking about, max. profit on an ore run is 50 millions.
Last time it was 80 was in 4.85 when Dublin madness and Gold ore were popular.