Discovery Gaming Community
Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit (/showthread.php?tid=136727)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - SnakThree - 03-06-2016

The fact that you so casually through implied curse words around just shows that the filter is needed. If I really want to say bad word, I substitute it with a nicer one.

So here goes.

This thread is crap. You act as a donkey.

See? Not so hard.

Now please get in line and act like a matured person you try to portray. Discovery loses nothing by using this filter.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Marburg - 03-06-2016

What one considers rude, another could simply consider as frank. I understand you don't like my style, but ask yourself...what good has the othter thread done up to now?

I'm aiming to be relentless. If that rubs some of you the wrong way, then that's something beyond my control & I won't be bothered with it.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - sindroms - 03-06-2016

By that logic - by all means scream louder, I am sure that will help then.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - SnakThree - 03-06-2016

And so far many said that your concern is misplaced. Go do something beneficial, seriously.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Alley - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 02:00 PM)Marburg Wrote: I'm aiming to be relentless. If that rubs some of you the wrong way, then that's something beyond my control & I won't be bothered with it.

It looks like your time as a mod and admin didn't really teach you anything. If you think a berserker approach will get you listened to, you are extremely wrong. A discussion needs a minimum of respect, and this respect has to go both ways.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Durandal - 03-06-2016

I kind of wish I still had the logs of you telling me to get in line years ago back when I was 16 or so. Maybe I just wasn't reading between the lines, but it's important to practice what you preach.

Hypocrisy doesn't impact the validity of an issue however, only the character of the person in question. As far as the issue goes I do agree with you, but I don't think very many people care.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Lythrilux - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 02:00 PM)Marburg Wrote: What one considers rude, another could simply consider as frank. I understand you don't like my style, but ask yourself...what good has the othter thread done up to now?

I'm aiming to be relentless. If that rubs some of you the wrong way, then that's something beyond my control & I won't be bothered with it.

It's got a poll to specifically reveal where the community and stands on the matter. Secondly, I don't think (I hope not at least) it's antagonised the community like this one is succeeding in.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Marburg - 03-06-2016

honestly, Sindroms, I've heard your opinion, so you can go play on server now. I'm more interested overall in what the staff have to say on the subject. Just so you know for the record, I've never respected your opinion. So post all you like, if ya like, I can't stop ya....but I'm looking ultimately to speak to those over ya. Staff: Respond please. It's worthy of one

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Durandal - 03-06-2016

I suppose to elaborate a bit more on my point, what harm would turning the filters off in stories/bios and flood really do? One is meant to be taken seriously (and not personally) and the other is meant to be the exact opposite. There isn't any room for misinterpretation when vulgarity comes into play in those cases, particularly not as far as stories go.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Impyness - 03-06-2016

i like how i cant say (the apparently bad word of poo) in game, a corsair got sanctioned for calling someone a female dog in spanish when it isn't actually even filtered in the first place, meanwhile we trade slaves and physically addicting drugs, the highest sellpoint for slaves in the game is also the place where humans organs are sold, and there is an admin with the user title "high" Administrator, even though in the country he lives non medical marijuana is against the law.

I fully agree that the filter is bad both on forum and in game, but if you want to actually make a change or at least make it less restrictive (I wouldn't mind f word staying on the list simply so I don't see f you every other sentence) you should probably just put in a player request. At the very least imo the filter should be significantly toned down in game, and if possible should be removed entirely specifically from the inrp sections of the forum. If the goal is to just stop people swearing at each other every other word in discussion threads, that would be achieved without making the roleplay environment feel carebear.