Discovery Gaming Community
House Advanced jump gates - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: House Advanced jump gates (/showthread.php?tid=13857)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

House Advanced jump gates - Tarrant5445 - 11-19-2008

' Wrote:See its a good idea, but it wouldn't fit into discovery, possibly other mods but not this one.

Yea ya might be right oh well back to the drawing board maybe I can come up with a more useful idea that fits better into discovery to bounce off you guys.

House Advanced jump gates - cal823 - 11-19-2008

An interesting idea, however even houses with close ties would not build such gates, as gates can outlast diplomacy, and former allies can become enemies.

House Advanced jump gates - guitarguy - 11-19-2008

I think it could be useful, but the problems outweigh the rewards. For example, the number of Bounty Hunter Battlecrusiers would exponentially multiply as a result of powertrading. Besides, we already have some fast but dangerous routes. (Like Gamma to Alpha or Minor to Alaska) that save time if you have the right friends.

House Advanced jump gates - farmerman - 11-19-2008

I'm probably rather confused on this, but isn't the whole reason there are gates to the independent worlds, at least the ones between Liberty and Kusari, because they couldn't build them to go farther? I could've sworn there was a rumor or two that said it had to have a stopping off point. So, inrp, I'm not sure if it would be technically feasible, even if you get over the diplomatic issues.

Someone please tell me if I'm remembering correct, or just losing my mind again. :P

House Advanced jump gates - pipsqueak - 11-19-2008

Well if it is given a trade off it might work. For example,

Allow only vessels with a cargo hold of less than 100 to go through these gates.

so I guess factions can then use guerilla tactics, for example small fighters squadrons can jump through.

Advantage, we will see more activity in other systems.

House Advanced jump gates - Kambei - 11-19-2008

realy realy bad idea for disco;)

House Advanced jump gates - Amdrial - 11-19-2008

' Wrote:realy realy bad idea for disco;)

Care to elaborate more about why it would be such a bad idea?

Also, I don't think it would really fit in, as for reasons mentioned. (Making life too easy for powertraders and the upcoming conflicts between the houses of Sirius.)

Also, there wouldn't be any use for the indie worlds if we had jumpgates like these. Traders would usually have to take the risk to go through the systems. You could actually risk being stopped by raiders and pirates. With these jumpgates, you can now safely bridge the distance between systems within a minute.

Next to that, how would this be explained lore-wise? Did the house factions just decide to place newly developed supergates in each house's capital system? Wouldn't that be horribly dangerous?

House Advanced jump gates - Kambei - 11-19-2008

' Wrote:Care to elaborate more about why it would be such a bad idea?

think dude... just think;)

no trading, no piracy, no nothing;)

NB-TO run in 4 minutes;)

Malta - NY cardi run in 10 minutes;)

no scaning, dead space aroud capital systems ...

House Advanced jump gates - Ash - 11-19-2008

Advanced gates + Trading = Phail

House Advanced jump gates - Linkus - 11-19-2008

Simple solution. An advanced gate leading to a system that is not connected to any other. Sounds like a normal jumpgate but it could be a prototype one to bypass Dark Matter clouds.