Discovery Gaming Community
Conditions in Sirius - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Conditions in Sirius (/showthread.php?tid=14358)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Conditions in Sirius - Unseelie - 12-09-2008

Quote:Anyway, its very close to fall out 3. the politics in siruis are very unstable at the moment. i expect Rhoineland and liberty to be at war in the next mod. and kusari to have moved into leeds ond be moving on up to stokes smelter or even the planet itself.
My argument against a fallout 3 level of horribleness is that..
There -are- governments.

Liberty and Rhineland might be about to go to war, but for a long while, the USA was about ready to go to war with the USSR. Because there are wars, it does not follow that there is a complete breakdown of the way the societies of the world works. There is war today, and I suspect that even in Iraq (excuse me if I offend anyone) conditions are a fair bit better than those in Fallout.

Conditions in Sirius - Stoat - 12-09-2008

I'm not sure any of the options really work. Criminality is rife, but there is also very organised, advanced governmental structures in place, not to mention the technology levels.

It falls more within the realms of cyberpunk than any other, if you ask me.

Conditions in Sirius - Unseelie - 12-09-2008

Where does cyberpunk fit on that scale?

Conditions in Sirius - Jinx - 12-09-2008

from how it looks - its outlaw / wild west style. - criminals are on the loose everywhere. - police is overwhelmed - the the criminals are generally equally equipped if not much better than the lawfuls.

the "law" itself is only a justification - cause every faction makes their own laws. - there are not ethnics, no general agreement, no general laws that include everyone ( like the ares convention in Battletech, that prohibits the use of nuclear weapons or the attack of jumpships )

so - yes... wild west like its seen in older movies.

Conditions in Sirius - Stoat - 12-09-2008

In between dark ages and fallout, I'd say. Life is pretty cheap.

Conditions in Sirius - Hawk - 12-09-2008

The coalition is only dangerous at all because not many are paying attention and most of the major houses would rather fight among themselves. If an house decided to rule the Coalition a serious threat, they'd be toast.

I don't see this happening however. Rheinland and Liberty will probably be at war soon and the Coalition will most likely exploit this to the max.

Conditions in Sirius - Jamez - 12-09-2008

I voted for wild west, because Freelancer is full of American accents, and there is a gung-ho attitude to the game, even if Discovery is more RP-oriented.

Well, there's my 'stop thinking about it too much' take on this poll.

Conditions in Sirius - Xing - 12-09-2008

I think it's Star Wars dangerous.

Conditions in Sirius - guitarguy - 12-09-2008

' Wrote:I like to view Sirius as collectively paranoid. Similar in nature to the Cold War but a bit more hot. Everyone is suspected of having some ulterior motive or, worse, infested by Nomads. I'll pass on Fallout since strong societies are able to exert influence in a really effective way that a destroyed society couldn't support. I also pass on Dark ages for similar reasons but in that large organized groups maintain advances in technology rather than stagnation. Wild West, I think, can apply to the edge and border worlds as they are generally lawless but the main blocks of nations are fairly safe. That would also apply to the Colonial sense in that forging new civilizations on border worlds would be similar with powerful nations vying for resources.

Therefore, I will personally add Cold War dangerous in the way of paranoia, cyclical spats of hot war, fast grabs at territory and a constant threat of sector-wide conflict.

/signed for house space

' Wrote:I think it's Star Wars dangerous.

/signed for independent space

Conditions in Sirius - Kambei - 12-09-2008

Fallout

outside vaults (main core systems) which are perfectly protected, there are "cities" which belong to those vaults but safety here isnt that good because there are local mafia-like groups (RHA in dresden, Mollys in Dublin), those places have own rules and if you know them, you are fine.... everywhere around is dessert where are very simple rules and if you dont follow them, you are dead (for example: dont shoot around freeports because everybody loves freeports and you risk "protective" groupe from for example hessian and corsair against you).