Discovery Gaming Community
High Risk Goods - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: High Risk Goods (/showthread.php?tid=149920)

Pages: 1 2

RE: High Risk Goods - sindroms - 05-01-2017

If it was possible to dynamically add/remove sellpoints for the commodity depending on the online count, yes. Otherwise, the only idea I can think of is making a bot that monitors online time and enables/disables the sellpoint on a POB dedicated for that particular commodity.

However, there is already an abundance of high-profit routes in either ore form or in the form of events.

RE: High Risk Goods - Ash - 05-01-2017

(05-01-2017, 05:43 PM)sindroms Wrote: If it was possible to dynamically add/remove sellpoints for the commodity depending on the online count, yes. Otherwise, the only idea I can think of is making a bot that monitors online time and enables/disables the sellpoint on a POB dedicated for that particular commodity.

However, there is already an abundance of high-profit routes in either ore form or in the form of events.
While a technical solution like you suggested would do the trick, I was thinking more along the lines of good old fashioned modding. I agree that the most essential component affecting risk is the presence of pirates. So to compensate for downtime we can make the routes longer to increase the chances of encounters. Alternatively, plan the fastest routes to pass through pirate infested space such as O3, Gamma and Alpha.

And then when you consider piracy as a more feasible means of making money as it was for you, I wouldn't be surprised if people were to log at all hours to swashbuckle.

RE: High Risk Goods - Toris (Old Account) - 05-01-2017

Quote:And then when you consider piracy as a more feasible means of making money as it was for you, I wouldn't be surprised if people were to log at all hours to swashbuckle.

This statement is the crux why I would be against such idea. As a pirate, I can share my experience on how traders who gain over 15 million creds for cargo can simply refuse to pay 1-2 million credits and usually end up destroyed and unable to enter system - then whine it's my fault and I griefed them.

As a trader, I agree that sometimes there are abusive players actually harmful to traders. But we should take into account these abusive players are also the reason why it is the pirates - not only traders - to suffer on the long run.

RE: High Risk Goods - Ash - 05-01-2017

(05-01-2017, 06:19 PM)Birb Wrote: This statement is the crux why I would be against such idea. As a pirate, I can share my experience on how traders who gain over 15 million creds for cargo can simply refuse to pay 1-2 million credits and usually end up destroyed and unable to enter system - then whine it's my fault and I griefed them.

As a trader, I agree that sometimes there are abusive players actually harmful to traders. But we should take into account these abusive players are also the reason why it is the pirates - not only traders - to suffer on the long run.

I have a degree of sympathy for what you are saying here but I think if you didn't take discovery players with a pinch of salt you wouldn't be here very long. General abusiveness should be counteracted, yes, but pirates are fully within their rights to demand whatever they want. Shippers only get caught because they were careless, they were outnumbered or didn't know any better. So with regard to pirates that sit in some bottleneck system all day long and ask for silly amounts of money with a three word vocabulary (in l33t), it's their own damn fault. You can spot them a mile off. There are dozens of techniques you can use to evade or outrun a pirate. If they turned off YouTube and paid attention they'd be surprised what they can pull off.

WIth these commodities i'd like to see pirates actively engage with traders and visa versa. Nuking a transport worth 25 million is not only a loss of 25 million to the trader but to the pirate. 2 mil hauls come around every five minutes, players have gotten complacent. In theory it would make pirates more negociable, and traders more attentive (scared shizless) when moving high risk goods.

RE: High Risk Goods - Toris (Old Account) - 05-01-2017

Well, it's not about the pirate loosing the potential cargo. It's more about traders hating on all pirates even more, just because very few grief their credit influx. If people refuse to pay 2 million credits in a shipping worth 17M, or refuse even to give part of the cargo... Now, indeed your idea can work either way: first, traders will became more aware and careful with their cargo, the second scenario is to attack pirates without RP, try to escape every time and then them screaming all over 'grief grief!'

On the other side, again speaking as a trader, there's a huge danger of said griefing. Xeno ID is basically true terrorist ID whose goal isn't to pirate, but to steal cargo. All of it. Or just destroy every ship that is not "Made in USA Liberty".

After longer thought, idea is good. But can either make traders ACTUALLY HIRE the Freelancers... or end up in a complete disaster. I take back my 'no' vote. We should give it a try nonetheless and see if people are mature enough. Concern of 'early morning powertrading' do not always work... as some pirates do also log early in the morning. You know, the reversed psychology.