Discovery Gaming Community
Retrospect: Events, PVE and Cultist Lore. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Retrospect: Events, PVE and Cultist Lore. (/showthread.php?tid=150641)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Retrospect: Events, PVE and Cultist Lore. - Sombs - 05-29-2017

I may spew my opinions way too often over the board, but I honestly think there isn't too much wrong with the Cultists. And I tell you guys why. I really liked the idea of the Cultists, because they were showing that there can be more than what was there for years. A faction that had a tech level even higher than the one of the nomads. Only very, very, very few things were known about the Cultists, so people started to do their research on them, majorly myself but also Auxesia and related factions and other factions. To be honest, the Cultists, in my opinion, were the only faction (as it doesn't have players) that could remain intransparent, with only so much lore being added month for month. Like, how long are they now a thing on the server? Look at other games, franchises. There is always a plot enemy, combined with plot items. Transparency is always nice, but I honestly don't see why the Cultists need to transparent from the beginning. People saw what they are: Drone-using, high-tech-weaponry, badass-armored, semi-intelligent, non-conversating enemies that caused some disruptions all over Sirius, opening new jump holes and even dropping NEMP bombs. Did people start researching them, RP around them? Yes. And who where the people to complain about the Cultists and how they fit into the lore? Those who didn't. They rather wanted it to be perfect from the beginning, and as I already mentioned in another thread: Something of that big scale will never be perfect at the first try. All that is needed are two things: Constructive and realistic feedback and patting shoulders, because without motivation, why would one even waste time for an unthankful community?

The community is not unthankful though. It is just a few people who voice their unreflected thoughts very often and very loudly, and they are often popular enough to have people repeating their words over and over again. One person is smart, one group of people is stupid.

Seriously, the Cultists are okay and there is much potential in them. They need a bit adjustment inRP, a bit balance ooRP as everyone agrees with, and those events are totally okay. They just need to be improved, and people are willing to help - and I'm not talking about people who have no idea about Freelancer deving.

Keep up the good work, because the stuff is awesome!

RE: Retrospect: Events, PVE and Cultist Lore. - Enkidu - 05-29-2017

But the lore isn't interesting. You can't interact with them. With a nomad player, you don't know if they're going to shoot at you or set you out on a fifteen minute dream sequence. There's a randomness and unpredictability beyond just shooting at NPCs.

This PVE system could be great if it was applied to the legion of organisations and groups that already exist within the mod, however, for some reason it was found that the currently existing organisations are somehow insufficient. I came from another server who had something exactly like this (called the guild). It died because people 1) didn't care about the guild, 2) it got old really quickly, and 3) it completely ruined the aesthetic of the universe by making everyone feel like peons.

Why can't we use these events to draw attention to massive imballances that exist within the mod, instead of glossing over problems and indulging in power creep? Can we address why very little fully unlawful smuggling happens? Can we address why one of the most powerful and interesting corporations in the game, Synth Foods, hasn't had any reason for anyone to play them for ages?

I know what this is like - this isn't the first server that's done something like this. And all of those servers died, because it was no longer about Freelancer anymore.

Note, the same people who bitch about Hellfire and CR, which are player driven creations, are celebrating the inclusion of this thing.

RE: Retrospect: Events, PVE and Cultist Lore. - HassLHoFF™ - 05-29-2017

(05-29-2017, 10:29 AM)Crypto Wrote: Sorry, but what are the Cultists or how did they appear and why did it fail? Heck I am just confused now.

Could anybody please answer?

(05-29-2017, 10:51 AM)Crypto Wrote:
(05-29-2017, 10:29 AM)Crypto Wrote: Sorry, but what are the Cultists or how did they appear and why did it fail? Heck I am just confused now.

They're an entirely PvE faction which drop premium commodities that you craft into rare items. You grind them with raid parties like you're in World of Warcraft raiding an NPC boss. They use beam cannons and missiles, and fly heavily armoured civ carriers, corvos, eagles and spatials.

RE: Retrospect: Events, PVE and Cultist Lore. - Sombs - 05-29-2017

I do think the lore is very interesting. The Cultists were literally giving you the chance to do empirical science. Watching, testing, adapting. They build jump hole generators? Now you can, too. They build bombs? Now you can, too. They build laser beam guns that aren't as lame as the Zapper turret? Now you can, too. If you want to interact with something, there are dozens of factions and people you can. I don't mind one faction that can only interacted with without the use of words. The Cultists are a nice opportunity. I say take it or leave it be.

RE: Retrospect: Events, PVE and Cultist Lore. - Snoflek - 05-29-2017

(05-29-2017, 10:53 AM)Tænì Wrote:

They're an entirely PvE faction which drop premium commodities that you craft into rare items. You grind them with raid parties like you're in World of Warcraft raiding an NPC boss. They use beam cannons and missiles, and fly heavily armoured civ carriers, corvos, eagles and spatials.

I think a better metaphor might be Level IV PVE encounters in EVE Online, especially since NPCs are being classified into Tiers now...

RE: Retrospect: Events, PVE and Cultist Lore. - HassLHoFF™ - 05-29-2017

(05-29-2017, 10:53 AM)Tænì Wrote:

Got that already. Was there any closer range RP about them, where did they come from, what do they want, how did they relate to nomads?...

RE: Retrospect: Events, PVE and Cultist Lore. - Foxglove - 05-29-2017

It wasn't the K'Hara playerfaction at large who said it would be a bad idea to spawn Nomad capitals in house space. It was me and a vocal minority of my faction. The problems with it have been illustrated by you well enough, but it can be amended easily: Use the Wild. The Wild are intended to do these sorts of things, attacking stuff in house space, because they fit in. I could go into detail about this, but it wouldn't get us anywhere. The Cultists are a thing and I honestly don't see what is so bad about it.

Bottom line, the idea of these PvE events is a good one. The enemy to shoot didn't really matter because at the end of the day it was simply for fun. This is why the Cultists as a big bad aren't too bad of an idea.

(05-29-2017, 10:43 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: A faction that had a tech level even higher than the one of the nomads.

Why do we need to be super-dooper-kewl and ignore all the hard work people done over the years because shiny? The Nomads are meant to be an unknowable eldritch alien entity. This cheapens them.

RE: Retrospect: Events, PVE and Cultist Lore. - Goliath - 05-29-2017

They are ancient, unrelated to nomads, evil plans