Discovery Gaming Community
Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Jump Gate] [Updated 1/7/19] - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Jump Gate] [Updated 1/7/19] (/showthread.php?tid=151981)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - TheShooter36 - 07-19-2017

Not only a bit of pain. It will be a pain in the arse to make it optional.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Durandal - 07-19-2017

Not really.

Say the new archetype is called dsy_manhattan for example.

You'd need your optional replacement to replace the new dsy_manhattan instead of the old planet_earthgrncld_4000.

It's a little more work, but if someone wants their legacy assets and they're willing to put in the time to revert, it shouldn't be an issue.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Grimvarg - 07-19-2017

Looks really good. But with all those new graphic upgrades some people will have lower fps.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Durandal - 07-19-2017

The textures will be optimized as .dds, likely at 1024x1024 each. This shouldn't cause major performance issues with any machines newer than 2004 era or so.

Still, if FPS drop becomes a major issue it will be possible to revert to a lower detail model as I pointed out above.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - DannyDelicious - 07-19-2017

Tbh I think it should be released on the side as a legacy asset replacement for those who actually want it. instead of enforcing it with the next update. As Grimvarg stated some people are running older systems and this will reduce their quality in performance. How about instead of dsy_manhattan you call it planet_earthgrncld_4000 and allow people to replace the original asset that way?

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Thunderer - 07-19-2017

I prefer the original. Fits better into Freelancer. The new one looks more like a part of Star Citizen.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Xalrok - 07-19-2017

For those wondering about performance impact, the textures these planets use will be made to the same specifications as those used by Planet Tuvalu and Nauru in Delta.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - oZoneRanger - 07-19-2017

Leave it as is. Original looks better.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - nOmnomnOm - 07-19-2017

Why are there far less clouds? It's like you assumed the weather is consistent around the whole planet
Original is better

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - DannyDelicious - 07-19-2017

It's not just the performance. If you want to make a HD texture pack. That's great, but I don't think it should be a compulsory edit. An optional Zipfile would be awesome. But not everyone wants a visual alteration. So instead of making people work to restore their original visual experience. Make people work for the altered visual experience.