Discovery Gaming Community
FL Models - (Again) - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: FL Models - (Again) (/showthread.php?tid=156997)

Pages: 1 2

RE: FL Models - (Again) - PRJKTLRD - 01-12-2018

(01-11-2018, 11:18 PM)Durandal Wrote: The reason it went nowhere is because you've got a veritable ass load of content here that you're unwilling to texture, hardpoint, or hitbox. Models are certainly nice, but you can't expect to dump that kind of a workload on anybody in the FL community because you don't feel like it. To say you did the "time consuming part of creating the models" is frankly an insult to people such as @Swallow, @eigos, and myself who undertake the miserable task of doing the dirty work that nobody else wants to touch. The actual creative process is much easier because it is fun to do. The rest is the work, and to say it any other way is a blatant lie.

I actually enjoy texturing, but why should I be asked to texture somebody else's stuff?
Hardpointing? Hitboxing? Setting up ini entries for new base components? Nobody enjoys that stuff. There's no enjoyment to take from it, except for finally seeing the finished product in game. And that's a hell of a lot less enjoyable when it isn't even your work.

Overall, I strongly doubt you'll ever see these used unless you take the time to finish them yourself, or until a new engine comes out (along with a better system/tools for linking equipment and handling collision detection) to use them on.

Don't be harsh on him dude. Think this way, there are already some good ideas, and I'm not tech guy but as Synk said, maybe you could work together on it as a team, and for the good of this mod. Everything can be done if you have willing people I guess.

I recall seeing these when I met him very very very long time ago, maybe 2014. Good stuff.

RE: FL Models - (Again) - Vendetta - 01-12-2018

(01-12-2018, 02:25 AM)PRJKTLRD Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 11:18 PM)Durandal Wrote: The reason it went nowhere is because you've got a veritable ass load of content here that you're unwilling to texture, hardpoint, or hitbox. Models are certainly nice, but you can't expect to dump that kind of a workload on anybody in the FL community because you don't feel like it. To say you did the "time consuming part of creating the models" is frankly an insult to people such as @Swallow, @eigos, and myself who undertake the miserable task of doing the dirty work that nobody else wants to touch. The actual creative process is much easier because it is fun to do. The rest is the work, and to say it any other way is a blatant lie.

I actually enjoy texturing, but why should I be asked to texture somebody else's stuff?
Hardpointing? Hitboxing? Setting up ini entries for new base components? Nobody enjoys that stuff. There's no enjoyment to take from it, except for finally seeing the finished product in game. And that's a hell of a lot less enjoyable when it isn't even your work.

Overall, I strongly doubt you'll ever see these used unless you take the time to finish them yourself, or until a new engine comes out (along with a better system/tools for linking equipment and handling collision detection) to use them on.

Don't be harsh on him dude. Think this way, there are already some good ideas, and I'm not tech guy but as Synk said, maybe you could work together on it as a team, and for the good of this mod. Everything can be done if you have willing people I guess.

I recall seeing these when I met him very very very long time ago, maybe 2014. Good stuff.

There's already a backlog of work to be done, and the last thing the team needs is more unfinished projects to be left collecting dust while they tirelessly work through everything that has been waiting and holds a higher priority.

If you really want to see this stuff get serious consideration, it needs to be a finished product.

RE: FL Models - (Again) - Swallow - 01-12-2018

Don't mind Durandal, he's a meanie.
Nice models, they have original vibe to them.

RE: FL Models - (Again) - Dave Synk - 01-12-2018

@Vendetta if the product backlog has already a lot of work, there is no excuse for dismissing content that can improve the quality of the given product, and that's generally speaking. Now if there is already a lot to process and it's moving in the rhythm it is, the natural question comes, why doesn't the Dev team expand ? There are people who would be dedicated to this I presume. In that way things would move faster and even more diversity would appear, content wise.

@Swallow Thank you for the feedback mate.

RE: FL Models - (Again) - Skorak - 01-12-2018

If there are people who want to do work then dev team welcomes you. It's not like you can get capable people just because you want to.

RE: FL Models - (Again) - Sol - 01-12-2018

The guy just listed his work and simply said that somebody could take any of them and finish them if they wish so to use them in their projects.

I don’t see how you can even rationalize criticizing that. If you don’t want to, skip thread.

RE: FL Models - (Again) - PRJKTLRD - 01-12-2018

(01-12-2018, 03:13 AM)Vendetta Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 02:25 AM)PRJKTLRD Wrote:

There's already a backlog of work to be done, and the last thing the team needs is more unfinished projects to be left collecting dust while they tirelessly work through everything that has been waiting and holds a higher priority.

If you really want to see this stuff get serious consideration, it needs to be a finished product.

Nobody asked you, people, to implement this, first of all. You and Durandal went pretty mental as you saw this stuff. Someone liked this, someone didn't. Guy just posted it to show his work.

RE: FL Models - (Again) - Durandal - 01-12-2018

Thread split to here. Keep this one on topic about @Dave Synk's work showcased in the OP, please.