Discovery Gaming Community
Suggestion: Autobuy jump batteries - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod FLHook Projects (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=266)
+----- Thread: Suggestion: Autobuy jump batteries (/showthread.php?tid=157586)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Suggestion: Autobuy jump batteries - Laz - 03-20-2018

While that would make things more convenient, there is little to no loss from having extra, yet there is potential for loss from having not enough. If you calculate it so it gives you the exact amount required, it reduces the length of time someone can hang with a fully charged drive. Whether someone is AFK, or not acting fast enough, they could end up losing their ability to jump because of it.

Additionally, if they jump they still have the left over batteries that will reduce the cost next time. It should also be noted that if they jump into a restricted system (one that kills them instantly) they will respawn will all their batteries and cargo intact due to the way the plugin handled those systems.

Edit: In response to this:
(03-20-2018, 09:50 PM)Remnant Wrote: While you're at it, just make an option to enable it. (/autobuy jump on)

I propose just renaming cloak to special and then removing the word cloak from cloak batteries. That way all FLHook items can be controlled via one autobuy list, which would eliminate the requirement of creating multiple (that ultimately do the same thing).

RE: Suggestion: Autobuy jump batteries - Skorak - 03-20-2018

I mean if it's no big deal... enabling and disabling jump batteries and for nomads maybe their jump cell that'd be good. Since these are very expensive.

RE: Suggestion: Autobuy jump batteries - Remnant - 03-20-2018

(03-20-2018, 10:00 PM)Laz Wrote: While that would make things more convenient, there is little to no loss from having extra, yet there is potential for loss from having not enough. If you calculate it so it gives you the exact amount required, it reduces the length of time someone can hang with a fully charged drive. Whether someone is AFK, or not acting fast enough, they could end up losing their ability to jump because of it.

Additionally, if they jump they still have the left over batteries that will reduce the cost next time. It should also be noted that if they jump into a restricted system (one that kills them instantly) they will respawn will all their batteries and cargo intact due to the way the plugin handled those systems.

You hit my concern spot on. Hitting the exact amount of ammo required isn't a good thing. That's initially why I started addressing things.
There's nothing wrong with doing some sort of formula to manage padding, so the player would have some extra time.

Code:
ToBuy = MinimumAmountRequired + ((MinimumRequired / ChargeTime) * ExtraSeconds)

This would give you a value which will give you extra fuel. Enough to last ExtraSeconds length. Hell, this can be setup in a config.
Give me a little while. I'll push out an upgraded plugin doing just that. (Testing will take longer than writing this. Autobuy is simple, thankfully)

RE: Suggestion: Autobuy jump batteries - ronillon - 03-20-2018

Wouldn't it be just easier to buy max amount? I mean I have never even thought about buying less than maximum amount of jump drive batteries or cloaking batteries, since they do not take up cargo space. Except for the transport cloak, where you want to fine tune the amount yourself anyway.

Not that I want to discourage you from improving stuff. Thanks for the effort.

Easy isn't really the goal here. Autobuy I feel should also try to keep the cost down as much as possible, while giving the player what they need. (The maximum value isn't a problem with most objects. Jumpdrives however, use a variable number of fuel per use.)

So it's not so much a cargo capacity thing, but more of a "keeping cheap, while doing what I want" type thing.

RE: Suggestion: Autobuy jump batteries - Giorgio - 03-20-2018

(03-20-2018, 10:18 PM)ronillon Wrote: Wouldn't it be just easier to buy max amount? I mean I have never even thought about buying less than maximum amount of jump drive batteries or cloaking batteries, since they do not take up cargo space. Except for the transport cloak, where you want to fine tune the amount yourself anyway.

Not that I want to discourage you from improving stuff. Thanks for the effort.

For the JD batts the most convenient options would be either 1000 or 500 batts (to have a few seconds after charging for a single jump).

I think that adds needless detail into the mix. For example, will you do it on a one jump basis or a two jump basis? The cost is so minute that there is just no point. Example?

Lets say you are using a JDMK4. This requires 450 bats per jump. Autobuy will give us 900 for two jumps. After this, we add the padding which lets say, is 25. Times it by two, and we get 50. 950 Bats the amount autobuy will give us. In the rare event that we don't manage to get back to a base where we can pick up more / sell what we got - we have saved 500,000 credits through this method. (and sacrificed a longer buffer time as a result).

Personally, I prefer to have more jump bats than less. If you are jumping in packs, like me and my mates often do, then those extra 10s, 20s, what have you, stack up and make a difference. While the cost is so minimal most people wont bat an eye lid, the time is a much more valuable commodity, at least in my opinion.

(03-20-2018, 10:06 PM)Skorak Wrote: I mean if it's no big deal... enabling and disabling jump batteries and for nomads maybe their jump cell that'd be good. Since these are very expensive.

The settings I gave you don't include Nomads.

(03-20-2018, 10:23 PM)Laz Wrote: I think that adds needless detail into the mix. For example, will you do it on a one jump basis or a two jump basis? The cost is so minute that there is just no point. Example?

Lets say you are using a JDMK4. This requires 450 bats per jump. Autobuy will give us 900 for two jumps. After this, we add the padding which lets say, is 25. Times it by two, and we get 50. 950 Bats the amount autobuy will give us. In the rare event that we don't manage to get back to a base where we can pick up more / sell what we got - we have saved 500,000 credits through this method. (and sacrificed a longer buffer time as a result).

Personally, I prefer to have more jump bats than less. If you are jumping in packs, like me and my mates often do, then those extra 10s, 20s, what have you, stack up and make a difference. While the cost is so minimal most people wont bat an eye lid, the time is a much more valuable commodity, at least in my opinion.

(03-20-2018, 10:06 PM)Skorak Wrote: I mean if it's no big deal... enabling and disabling jump batteries and for nomads maybe their jump cell that'd be good. Since these are very expensive.

The settings I gave you don't include Nomads.

Alright, that's a fair point of view. So what about a new option.
Code:
/autobuy jump on
This will buy you a specially padded value for a single jump.

Code:
/autobuy jump on full
Or some variation of the word 'full' - This will simply max you out with batts.

Or should we have it where a player can SPECIFY how many he wants?
Code:
/autobuy jump on 1500
Buying the amount that the player specifies. (Rejecting them if they try to specify more than they can hold)

This is FLHook. We can afford to give people options. It simply depends on what people want before implementation.

Personally, I don't see the need, but I'll bring things up with Alex. In the event we went with a new command/list, I'd be most keen on the last one.

RE: Suggestion: Autobuy jump batteries - ronillon - 03-20-2018

@Laz pretty much said it.

I personally would like it like this:
Code:
/autobuy jump on
Will buy the maximum amount. For us lazy folk. EDIT: It will also be consistent with the rest of the options, which buy full too.

Code:
/autobuy jump on %number%
Will buy specified amount.