Discovery Gaming Community
Re: Possible Player Wipe - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Re: Possible Player Wipe (/showthread.php?tid=1631)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: Possible Player Wipe - Gwynzer - 09-15-2006

Altough I do not play discovery very often, I do sit and read the latest issues on the forum, and I'd like to say somthing.

I belive that a player wipe would be a good thing. All those "I've played for about a day then left" characters files will be gone, and lag may be sorted out. I also think it will be good to see everyone in fighters, instead of capital ships.

I also belive that trains should be weaker. I am a person who uses Fighters and Trains equally so I am not biased towards one or the other. I think trains/transports should have a slower cruise speed (if that is possble) and a longer time to go into cruise.

Think about it, the bigger the ship, the longer and more expensive it would be to go into cruise (I know that it doesnt actually cost money, but it probably would for fuel etc..). Train captains would only want to use it to travel very long distances, to make the most profit.

If there is a player wipe, possibly each faction should get compensation, but only a little, such as enough for an Armoured Transport and few bits of equipement, but not much more, just to get the clans funds goign again.

Re: Possible Player Wipe - DarkOddity - 09-15-2006

Ok well here are my views on the situation:

Player Whipe:
All fine and dandy with me, but I suggest the starting ship is changed from a Starflyer to a Rhino (atleast) to help boost people getting back on their feet.

Simulated Player Whipe:
Also, during simulated player whipe I suggest making the starting credits atleast 200-300 Million, no money, no characters, noones going to want to play, this we can't test whether the lag goes away. Afterall, it's simulated and it's going to be taken away afterwards.

Large Train:
Personally I think there are two things wrong with the large train, first off it has 120k shields.. I have taken out *nomad* battleships in my large train thanks to these. After that it has 120k armor, throw a Mk7 armor on it and it suddenly has 360,000 armor

What I suggest is done is the transport shields get reduced to 10,000-15,000 and the armor needs to be reduced to 20,000, meaning with Mk7 it's going to have 60,000 armor.

Re: Possible Player Wipe - kiggles - 09-15-2006

Well I am all for a player wipe although I can't get on right now.

Yes it would be a bit annoying to see 1.1bill in cash go pop but since I have not been able to get on the server I have been playing SP a bit and the little fighters are good fun but you could not use them in the server right now as the top VHFs could sit on the spot spinning around to kill you.

Personaly I would not care to much about starting from scratch with no compensation as long as we all do the same.

It would be good as most of us have differant low level ships we like but almost everyone just uses the best high level ships, so everyone in little ships would make for some good fun and anyone watching might actualy know who is who without having to read the name of the person.

Kiggles :)

Re: Possible Player Wipe - Fellow Hoodlum - 09-15-2006

Boy this is going to be a bugger, whatever happens ... The simulated wipe is a good idea
to start, so lets all calm down till its done. Then maybe a non-used char wipe aswell, say
those not used in the last month. Most of the regulars here have used, or will use, or can
use all of their chars if asked. Those not around so much, but active, can be contacted
one way or another.
As a card carrying computer dummy, I can see all of the benefits gained by a full wipe,
we are one of the few servers, I believe, that don't do it. Though is there not a way of
taking one of our existing chars, making sure it has a Current 4.80 ship, swapping a few
neccessities onto it, then deleting all the rest of the accounts by ourselves.
So a check of char lists would show each account with just one ship on it. I'm sure I'll
be told why this is not a good idea ... But its the best compromise I could come up with,
for everyone who has invested time in creating and RPing chars, to be able to get back
on their way a little quicker.
Right ... Anthing else we can come up with to stem the inevitable move to cleanse us
completely. Its not so much the cash, though thats a complete bitch, Its the time invested
in getting the chars to where they are now. Reps, maps and the like.
My character Beretta, has almost all the map done, and is neutral to all, exept a little
political disagreement with the Bundschuh currently. His top two greens are the Outcasts
and the Corsairs, This char is invaluable as an explorer, and a supplier and runner
of all types of weapons to almost all factions. This is how it makes its cash.
This is my example of the one I have invested plenty of time into. This one is my flying
Datastorm ... Thought not used as much now ... This is the one I would hate to loose.
*Sobs into keyboard* ... Ok, Ok I know ... But hey, Worth a try.

Hoodlum :cool:

Re: Possible Player Wipe - marauder - 09-15-2006

I suggested removing the cruise engines because all the high-profit routes are in the border/edge worlds, where you hardly ever see any NPC trains and transports, so why should we players be able to use them there?

Just because we're human players and the NPCs aren't doesn't mean we can or should get loads of advantages over them.

At least that way the main problem we have with trains and transports is solved.

Re: Possible Player Wipe - Virus - 09-15-2006

My opinion with the player wipe: Go ahead and do 'er. I know I was a big opposer before, but I'll get through it. A fresh start for everyone could do some good.

The train: Take off that damned shield. Removing it would make it MUCH more susceptible to CDs. Which, I have found are totally useless against transports, and whatnot. The SHIELD is what keeps the CD from effecting the train/transport.

Remove the shield from the transport, large transport, train, and large train, and I believe we will solve the CD immunity issue.

Re: Possible Player Wipe - marauder - 09-15-2006

I tried it, it will solve it, but then you'll get people complaining about the NPcs killing them off on the vip - organisms or passangers - artifacts run.

Re: Possible Player Wipe - gezza999 - 09-15-2006

What other changes did we make to the train in 4.80? Cept the cargo pods..

BTW: No comment on the wipe.. I'll keep it to myself for the moment..

Re: Possible Player Wipe - McNeo - 09-15-2006

in that case i think many ppl will try for a liner. a cheaper and more secure way to carry cargo, if less space for cargo than many transports.
jts what i'd do :P :P but hey, it might just be me.

by the way i spent my whole summer holidays on this server. it would be sad but neccesary to see all my chars go.

Re: Possible Player Wipe - Korrd - 09-15-2006

DarkOddity,Sep 15 2006, 01:41 PM Wrote:Simulated Player Whipe:
Also, during simulated player whipe I suggest making the starting credits atleast 200-300 Million, no money, no characters, noones going to want to play, this we can't test whether the lag goes away. Afterall, it's simulated and it's going to be taken away afterwards.
[snapback]36472[/snapback]
Obviously. That way we have enough money to test what ships cause lag.