Discovery Gaming Community
New Cloaking Ideas. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: New Cloaking Ideas. (/showthread.php?tid=16974)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

New Cloaking Ideas. - Tenacity - 02-26-2009

No.

Only a couple factions in freelancer should have the ability to cloak, and there's no real way to restrict it to just them. People will abuse this just like they abuse half the other things in the game.

New Cloaking Ideas. - Linkus - 02-26-2009

It is easy to make a player cloak but there are some flaws with the original one (The nomad one that is already in the game).
Namely, you disapear from radar completely and can fire when invisible.

However there are mods out there, like Flak etc that have managed to get properly working cloaks that have their own drawbacks etc and generally are far more fair than the original one. In the end they are a good addition to a game, just there was a giant stigma around Cloak mods for so long since there wasn't a way of altering it in the way they have now.

Also, I've made a jumphole disapear from the radar and have it sit right infront of me several times before when I make modding mistakes.

New Cloaking Ideas. - selsyn - 02-26-2009

While this is a good idea, in concept, it is open to quite a bit of abuse.

That being said, i think that once we can get a way to make it useful for RP, not PVP whoring, it would make a good addition.

But before a bunch of work goes into this, i would rather see more RP from factions like the LSF. In my 6months of being here, i have only seen factions like the LSF act as "police with nomad guns" and not doing anything "secret agent-ish".

New Cloaking Ideas. - (ASF)Destroyer - 02-26-2009

A cloaking device should completely cloak the ship, making it 100% invisible physically and on radar.

New Cloaking Ideas. - Saigo.Watanabe - 02-26-2009

Quote:100% invisible

No no no no no! we would never be able to see them, or find them.

Oh and teh radar thing would be exploited, since you can select the ship and abuse it.
Unless it only shows up at a few k away.

Make sure that the ship de-cloaks when firing aswell.

Oh and this will not happen for a long time- if at all me thinks:P

Edit: I also think that it should only be given to certain factions and is admin given.

New Cloaking Ideas. - selsyn - 02-26-2009

I hate to bring EVE up, but they have a cloaking system that makes the ship invisible to scanners and to look at, but if anything passes withing 2km of it, it de-cloaks and cannot recloak for a period of time.

And hopefully cruise would be un-usable, because whats to stop someone from just mounting one on a trader ooRPly? No one would know, because they would just always be cloaked.

New Cloaking Ideas. - Thor22 - 02-26-2009

Of course, it is possible and it has been implemented in other mods + servers - I don't think it's particularly hard either, as an old boy from the [RoS] had it running on his mod as a simple /cloak and /uncloak command when you bought a particular type of item (similar to how having an ID allows you to tractor loot in Discovery).

However, I don't think the difficulty of implementation is now the issue, it seems to be whether or not it is worth putting in, as not many people would have a reason to use it within roleplay terms. Not to mention the amount of complaining that would come about from those who desperatly want to use it, but are simply not permitted.

Personally, I think it's better left out of Discovery, it would be a cool feature, but an almost pointless one as I feel that not many people would be in a position to benefit from a cloak device.

New Cloaking Ideas. - David Petraeus - 02-26-2009

That can always work.

Have a FLHOOK Command that can activate/de-active it. Special Clearance being needed to use such a command.

The thing is Thor...
The LSF Can't really do anything 'secretly' we can make Civ ID's Falcons that are level 35... But people will see us and eventually after we sit at a place for so long get suspicious...

Imagine somebody coming up to you at 3-K and scanning you, and you don't know they are there...

New Cloaking Ideas. - tazuras - 02-26-2009

Yeah, I dont think that's really in RP, if it did exist it would be so rare and expensive it would be used for nothing except espionage missions. Also they couldnt uncloak in front of our fire on anyone because they would want the tech to remain secret. All that is opinion of course.

New Cloaking Ideas. - Sikotik - 02-26-2009

i thinks its an okay idea and not okay, its okay because like Tazuras says espionage missions and stuff like that, but its not okay if you just could cloak from a battle, so i think that if you cloak and flying around its okay, but if you get hit while trying to cloak then the cloak system should fail untill you reach the tide of battle or you flee.