Discovery Gaming Community
Freelancer: Aftermath - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Freelancer: Aftermath (/showthread.php?tid=172704)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Freelancer: Aftermath - Megaera - 08-12-2019

I don't see this mod surviving long. Reason is that people are too invested into discovery to switch to a new one. Second is that that you won't have a large enough playerbase to make a new mod interesting. discovery itself has like 50 at good hours and 20 in bad hours. You will have a fraction of that. This mod might have been succesful 10 years ago. Now it is just wasted efford.

I won't be playing it because I am too invested in discovery to be bothered with a new mod.

RE: Freelancer: Aftermath - Laz - 08-12-2019

(08-12-2019, 11:54 PM)Megaera Wrote: Reason is that people are too invested into discovery to switch to a new one.
This mod isn't primarily directed at Discovery players. You joined in 2017, so it's clear new players that get invested are still present on the internet, and I know for certain there are large numbers of people who played Freelancer but never tried modding. Many of those will feel nostalgia for the game.

If it is a wasted effort so be it, we know we can make a lot of cool stuff and that's enough for me personally; however, it's better to go in without a pessimistic approach and hope for the best!

RE: Freelancer: Aftermath - Kazinsal - 08-13-2019

I highly recommend investing your eggs in an engine-basket that isn't Freelancer's. You'll go a lot farther if you can do actually interesting things and have decent looking visuals, and aren't tied down to a broken last-minute addition of a multiplayer persistent universe. That is how you ensure longevity.

Godspeed.

RE: Freelancer: Aftermath - Saronsen - 08-13-2019

D-Don't compete with Discovery, y-you'll never stand a chance.

Heh, y-yeah.

RE: Freelancer: Aftermath - pillow - 08-13-2019

This sounds great. I really do hope that it takes off and becomes something great. Good luck champs.

(08-12-2019, 11:54 PM)Megaera Wrote: I don't see this mod surviving long. Reason is that people are too invested into discovery to switch to a new one. Second is that that you won't have a large enough playerbase to make a new mod interesting. discovery itself has like 50 at good hours and 20 in bad hours. You will have a fraction of that. This mod might have been succesful 10 years ago. Now it is just wasted efford.

I won't be playing it because I am too invested in discovery to be bothered with a new mod.

I'm not normally hopeful about stuff but it sounds like their server is going to launch with things you can do alone to start with. Discovery doesn't have anything of the sort which is why it has such a minuscule playerbase compared to how it used to. I'll probably be playing it just to make a Corsair ship without the awful reputation that the Disco Sairs have, if nothing else. : )

For all we know it may get people simply because it doesn't have the reputation of a godawful community like Discovery has.

The thing I'm worried for the most about this mod is the lack of new ships. As far as I know that is a huge factor as to why Discovery still gets players.

RE: Freelancer: Aftermath - sasapinjic - 08-13-2019

No capital ships in this mode ?

RE: Freelancer: Aftermath - Laz - 08-13-2019

There will be capital ships. (getting ready for work don't have time to write proper answers).

@Kazinsal we both know I'd love to recreate the game, but so much of my knowledge is wrapped up in this shoddy engine. That being said, I've done a lot of optimisation once thought impossible, my persistence paid off.

RE: Freelancer: Aftermath - Reeves - 08-13-2019

Looking forward to this.

RE: Freelancer: Aftermath - Kalhmera - 08-13-2019

I dont like the idea of trying to split an already small community, and im sorry TLAGSNET on the main menu? how is this even remotely useful? this looks like a bunch of fluff thrown together and I wont be looking forward to this.

You quit the dev team and left now your back making your own mod? You could have brought your ideas to an already established community and made this one better with your ideas.

RE: Freelancer: Aftermath - pillow - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 09:10 AM)Kalhmera Wrote: and im sorry TLAGSNET on the main menu? how is this even remotely useful? this looks like a bunch of fluff thrown together and I wont be looking forward to this.

(08-12-2019, 09:11 PM)Laz Wrote: The video below is a proof of concept only.