Discovery Gaming Community
assault dreadnought - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod Content Submissions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+----- Thread: assault dreadnought (/showthread.php?tid=18160)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

assault dreadnought - Jinx - 03-21-2009

yes - ships with a forward gun are a problem to balance. - an admin given "flagship" or whatever .. i d rather call it ... special occasion ship / experimental ship ... is more what it ought to be.

nothing that is used often. - so much like the kusari emperor battleship. - when there is a major event and the faction feels like bringing such a ship - they might do so ... but the ship itself is weaker than the osiris.

the ship feels more like a buffed up osiris that had its cloaking stripped and instead uses the power to fuel a large gun. - more like a weapon research ship of the order.

one of those ships - that blow up at some time, leaving a large antimatter cloud with lots of radiation in the system and a lot of rumors about weapontests ( and debris )

edit:

no it has 14 battleship TURRETS .. and 1 lvl1 gunmount ( lvl10 gun = liberty cruiser forward gun.... or a codename if you like ) but whats the point sticking a fightergun there...

assault dreadnought - Heartless - 03-21-2009

ah ok, the turret thing sounds better now hehe.

Yeah, let's stick an excalibur on it:)

assault dreadnought - McNeo - 03-21-2009

It wont be too long before each faction has their own "admin gifted" ship, will it?

To be honest, this might fit better as an updated form of the Liberty Dreadnought for the LN. It certainly seems like it could fit that role, and it looks to me as if it would fit better in Liberty hands than in Order hands.

Liberty is also, from an RP perspective, more worthy for an update in their heavy armour than the Order. Its not out of the realms of possibility that military spending just moved up a notch. Liberty leadership, I assume, were preparing for a possible war, and would've probably accellarated military projects. Liberty also have the resources at their disposal to manufacture these weapons of war at a decent rate.

Honestly, I bet Liberty are getting really ticked off that everything they make is getting stolen by Lane Hackers or the Order. Its also been a while since Liberty got any new additions to its top end.

well liberty has it's constitution clas flag ship that yue fei made. That thing is huge. That could destroy this rather... quickly...

assault dreadnought - kingvaillant - 03-21-2009

Nice looking ship but PLEASE do not say in its infocard that it was stolen from the Liberty Navy-ish...I am tired as HELL to see those type infocards

On an other subject, it could replace the spyglass very well (if we rename the spyglass and change its...unlogical function)

and dito Mcneo

assault dreadnought - stewcool - 03-21-2009

I do like it. And as king said. If they stole yet another ship then liberty has issues.

assault dreadnought - Tenacity - 03-21-2009

Quote:What I suggest / propose is that this ship fills the much needed , true Battlecruiser slot for the Order. Something that would be smaller , easier to deploy , easier to maintain and most importantly , serve different roles for the Order. Being able to assist Carriers against battleships or the Osiris against multiple hostiles.

The order carrier is a battlecruiser if there ever was one, with the changes made in beta 4 the carrier is almost perfect in it's role - it can take out anything larger than a gunship and smaller than a dreadnaught, and run away from the larger enemies with ease. Only thing it needs right now is slightly more bat/bot storage.

What I'd like to see this dreadnaught model become is a seige/breaching ship, extremely offensive and well armored. Reasoning is, yes we dont use that kind of ship often for our general day to day combat, but we're pushing further outwards and finding new, heavily fortified nomad systems that are simply too well defended for us to make any useful offensive against.

This ship, with extreme offensive firepower but enough armor to survive heavy enemy defenses, would be able to breach into a heavily defended alien system and either launch fighters for recon, or serve as a headquarters/command center for other ships coming in behind it.

Example:

You have a system where the jump hole leading in is guarded by a few battleships and some weapon platforms. Any small battleship or cruiser fleet would be obliterated when entering, but this seige engine could break through, blast the enemy battleships or at least damage them heavily, destroy the weapons platforms, and create an 'opening' in enemy defenses for a few osirises, carriers, recon destroyers, gunboats, etc. to come through.

Strictly an RP thing, but basically in balancing this would be a heavy dreadnaught, like the rheinland battleship or zoner juggernaut but slightly smaller in size.

It does not fit in at all with the lane hackers and never will.

And this is not from Liberty. This is 100% pure order and probably the most offensive ship it will ever have.

or so it is to me:)

assault dreadnought - Jinx - 03-21-2009

yes - it would not be concepted as another "stolen from liberty" ship. - the liberty navy already is the dumbest bunch of guard ever employed - with so many ships stolen AND mindwiped from them.

such a ship would be meant to be a pure order offspring - based on the osiris alright, but 100% order. ( the only other 100% order ship is the recon cruiser; the order GB is basicly a zoner GB, the carrier is just an osiris refit [ concerning warships ] )

the order is meant to be secretive - but also meant to strike surgically and quick. - an assault ship ( one single one for really tough targets ) is not really out of canon for them. ( back then, they could blow up the donau, rheinland cruiser with a wing of anubis + starkillers - now they can t anymore of course.. but in order to make such a strike, they d need something like this ship )

i have put the price in the goods ini to 1.250.000.000 cause i m nasty and evil - but if it was admin approved only, the price could also be 1 credit =)

assault dreadnought - Tenacity - 03-21-2009

yea, the order has only ever stolen one ship from liberty - the osiris.

All other order ships are based on liberty design theory, because most engineers and scientists in the order are from liberty, and because most of these new ships are based on the osiris which was originally a liberty design.

@Jinx: No bronze on the carrier yet? =(

Also, Despite the infocard I dont consider the carrier an "osiris refit". My take on it is that the order needed a ship which could maintain a large number of smaller craft, and started with old, decomissioned osiris ships to be used as 'testbed' models. They butchered the old osirises, added on varying technologies, the "torpedo" tubes, etc. until they came up with a fairly workable model, then started from scratch and built the carrier as a new craft based on those testbed models.

Reasoning... well, the carrier doesnt really look like an osiris at all. I've put them side by side and while they do have similar features, I dont see one being built out of the other.