Discovery Gaming Community
Another Robot Faction? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Another Robot Faction? (/showthread.php?tid=19804)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Another Robot Faction? - Malaclypse 666 - 04-27-2009

The Fnordettes hereby forgive and absolve you all for the slight.

Of course, we can't expect you all to be familiar with roleplay that occurred three years or more ago.

Should you encounter a free, sentient, 25cm titanium globe, be warned, we'll talk your bloody leg off.

Dis, Sophie, Shamus, and the other "missing" F-23's.

(Edit: So, yeah, we'd probably enjoy some "facetime" with ya.)

Another Robot Faction? - Linkus - 04-27-2009

For some reason, the whole idea of a robot gaining sentience just feels overdone to me when it comes to Disco.
We pretty much have an entire faction based around the idea (Harvesters)

If you want a robotic faction, I would actually suggest that you combine both humans and robots together. You could go the whole bionic enhancements way (Ala Mon'Star) but I was actually thinking more like a Single Human or multiple Humans who use robotic drones as minions.

Hordes of basic robots that are programmed specifically.
A few or one human leader/s.

While you would have the basic robots, you would also have command robots etc, relaying orders etc.
Basically like any RTS game. You are the human controlling all the units but the units themselves have some intelligence (Sometimes)
Or think CIS from Star Wars.

I think there is definately room for a group like that as no one has done it yet (The CS are somewhat like that, though more based around bionics etc) and I'd love to help out if possible.

EDIT: Oddly enough Sirius Robotics is about atm, it could be a source for these basic robots etc.

Another Robot Faction? - Xing - 04-27-2009

' Wrote:Im not sure what you men by minimalist. But I look at sentient AI as something that would chop complex logic into basic components.

Something like the cake-baking problem:

1) bake a cake (complex task)

2) done!
An AI would have trouble doing that, so it would chop it down to basic components:

1)
Buy:
int Sugar = 25dg
int Water = 2dl
int Cream = 30dg
int Eggs = 3X
2) mix first 2 components
3) mix result with 4th component
4) heat up in oven
5) wait 20min
6) add component: Cream
7) cool in fridge
8) wait 2h
9) Done

But by doing this, it only shows us how many tasks an AI has to solve instead of just saying *bakes cake*
because an AI cannot define their tasks the way people do. You will notice repeated automated sentences
each time you interact with an AI the same way because an AI wont fix something that isn't broken.

Example:

Tim: Hi robot
AI: Hello sir
AI: You already said that.
Tim: Hah! I just found out you cant say anything new until i change my words hehe!
AI: This unit is designed to imitate human behavior. <--ironic isn't it?

So don't expect to have a quality conversation with a basic AI that wont end up in limitless loops
unless, you yourself, are able to prove better.
Ontopic:

I support the idea of an additional AI faction. All thou adding emotions is a bit of a tricky part, it would
require careful thinking on how an emotionless box of metal observes the world and simulates feelings
towards it.

What do you want me to do with an AI whose only goal is to murder human beings in order to harvest raw material? start a philosophical conversation? state the good and wrong of human natures? offer him some oil?

The AI wouldn't even understand half of the concepts, nor would it really care - an AI is made to do a task, not to start a discussion. IF it kills, it kills, if it bake a cake, it bake a cake without starting a discussion on the atomic bomb with its owner.

And if it did - then what sort of AI is that? I call it a human with a metal box outfit and a Darth Vader voice filter...

As such, AI has really no roleplay opportunity in my opinion.

Another Robot Faction? - Primus Avatar - 04-27-2009

' Wrote:What do you want me to do with an AI whose only goal is to murder human beings in order to harvest raw material? start a philosophical conversation? state the good and wrong of human natures? offer him some oil?

Short answer: YES!!

P.S. the reason why i wont give you a longer answer is because i want this thread to stay on-topic.

Another Robot Faction? - Xing - 04-27-2009

But it is on topic. I address this point as a problem recurrent to all AI I've met so far.

They act the same way.

It's a bit like, the players who goes "docking sequence initiated" and all that. Yes, it is nice.

However, they can do more than this. They can discuss, talk, chit chat, be angered and start a rant, etc.

Can an AI do this?
Not really.

Why?

well simply said; AI as I keep repeating myself, are made to be efficient...
Why would they waste time to integrate some random processor to treat with conversations...

I mean, I didn't watched Terminator movies, but I don't think the thing in it talk much, does it? It just go around and kill stuffs and people rejoice at blood and violence.

As I said, an AI that talk and think, it loses its AI charm and become a human being...

AI are fine as a background element of any sci fi - think, R2 D2 and C3PO in Star Wars, which are mostly that; background character complementing the whole story. In a game, they'd be known as well, NPC and decorations.

But as player?

Well, it's like saying, roleplay a decoration to me.

Another Robot Faction? - swift - 04-27-2009

I imagine human-like AI as very clumsy at social conversation, but still capable of it.

Another Robot Faction? - me_b_kevin - 04-27-2009

i would suggest that we shouldn't base our opinions of this idea on robots from other media, BUT if you must, then i would point you to something more along the lines of I-robot or Wall-E.

these robots will be juvenile at first. their innocence showing through as they evolve or "grow-up". their society would be brand new and could easily be shaped by the actions of the factions around them since they really wouldn't have much of a history of their own.

try not to dwell on the stigmas created by existing concepts you see in other media but think of the positive possibilities of something new and not imported.

again i'm thinking of this as being more of a house than a faction.

Another Robot Faction? - swift - 04-27-2009

' Wrote:i would suggest that we shouldn't base our opinions of this idea on robots from other media, BUT if you must, then i would point you to something more along the lines of I-robot or Wall-E.

these robots will be juvenile at first. their innocence showing through as they evolve or "grow-up". their society would be brand new and could easily be shaped by the actions of the factions around them since they really wouldn't have much of a history of their own.

try not to dwell on the stigmas created by existing concepts you see in other media but think of the positive possibilities of something new and not imported.

again i'm thinking of this as being more of a house than a faction.

Ah, now I like the idea even more.
A fresh start, a clean slate. Ready for evolution and dependent on what it encounters in reality in Sirius.

Another Robot Faction? - Unseelie - 04-27-2009

My position on robot intellegence is this: while it is possible that it be underdone, in the case of the harvesters, I assume any 'robot' intellegence would be at least complex enough to pass turing. More than pass turing, to competently act as a thinking, existing mind, and be undifferentiatable.

The Fnordetts, Zapp's Carina character, and a few others, do this. Those that do not, I've very little time for, as it doesn't make sense, as incredibly complex jeeves programs should be reasonably off the shelf products.

Dreygon's idea sounds fun.

Another Robot Faction? - Eppy - 04-27-2009

The one major Robot faction we have now is one too many, imho (Fnordettes, obviously, don't count). It would have to be an absolute work of genius to warrant inclusion.