Discovery Gaming Community
[Official Event] Snake Eyes - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Server Events (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=411)
+---- Forum: Official (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=550)
+---- Thread: [Official Event] Snake Eyes (/showthread.php?tid=204562)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: [Official Event] Snake Eyes - Erremnart - 09-04-2024

We are fully aware about the mixed relations between the IMG and Crayter. The IMG doesn't really need these former slaves as they already have plenty of potential recruits themselves and they lack proper facilities to house them. But if there are parts of the IMG who care about the wellbeing of these former slaves, then shipping them to Yuma is the lesser evil of all available choices.

Yuma has developing infrastructure and civil society, it's habitable and despite CR's faults, they are likely going to treat them better than the Cryer or Gallia.

RE: [Official Event] Snake Eyes - Nika - 09-04-2024

To speak plainly, and clarify on my previous posts.

Did I actually expect IMG get a separate drop-off? No. I understand these events are on rails and their premise won't be changed after being posted. And that's fine.

Do I see IMG to opt in for the pragmatic choice of rather having these people with the Crayter? Yes, absolutely. Despite the uneasy past, it's definitely better than having them back to plantations or outright killed to benefit and amusement of Outcasts. It's really just "I can't stomach X idea because Y." No more, no less. I don't steer IMG's direction anymore or have any effect on it - probably for the better.

RE: [Official Event] Snake Eyes - Amba - 09-04-2024

(09-04-2024, 05:45 AM)Erremnart Wrote:
We are fully aware about the mixed relations between the IMG and Crayter. The IMG doesn't really need these former slaves as they already have plenty of potential recruits themselves and they lack proper facilities to house them. But if there are parts of the IMG who care about the wellbeing of these former slaves, then shipping them to Yuma is the lesser evil of all available choices.

Yuma has developing infrastructure and civil society, it's habitable and despite CR's faults, they are likely going to treat them better than the Cryer or Gallia.

If that is the intent then I recommend rewriting the original post both to make it clear that it is publicly available knowledge that GN/GNI and Cryer are trying to get their hands on the liberated slaves explicitly for experimentation purposes and that the options besides Yuma do not have the capacity to take care of them.

RE: [Official Event] Snake Eyes - Lord Caedus - 09-04-2024

(09-04-2024, 06:44 AM)Amba Wrote:
(09-04-2024, 05:45 AM)Erremnart Wrote:

If that is the intent then I recommend rewriting the original post both to make it clear that it is publicly available knowledge that GN/GNI and Cryer are trying to get their hands on the liberated slaves explicitly for experimentation purposes and that the options besides Yuma do not have the capacity to take care of them.

This wouldn't exactly be something that's public knowledge at least as far as the GNI side of things is concerned, I discussed this with Jammi back when the event was in writeup stages, and he approved of the idea of Gallia promoting this as if they were genuinely going to take care of these people. I doubt Cryer would be saying the quiet part out loud either, but I'm not sure how public their experimentation on Outcasts on Atka was.

RE: [Official Event] Snake Eyes - Erremnart - 09-04-2024

I purposefully used word "likely". It is not public knowledge what Gallia or Cryer want to to with them aside from what they tell to the public. They certainly have the facilities and means to house them as the Crayter does, but Yuma might actually want to integrate them into their society and try to give them normal life. Can this happen with the Cryer or Gallia? Perhaps, but it is less likely than in the democratic society on Yuma.

That being said, if an IMG character hates the Crayter too much, it's fine they will help Gallia or Cryer instead. That's why we are trying to encourage roleplay instead of pure pew-pew in this event.

RE: [Official Event] Snake Eyes - Anguirus - 09-04-2024

meanwhile Crayter is just happy to get to do something.
https://youtu.be/mFyu2k6CkTM?si=9Aw4y7i0mC4KjMcO

RE: [Official Event] Snake Eyes - Petitioner - 09-04-2024

(09-03-2024, 03:58 PM)Barrier Wrote: The IMG as a whole don't particularly care about the fate of escaped slaves, hence why we mention volunteers.

I find this a little hard to believe. Many Guild members would probably sympathize with the refugees; after all, most people come to the IMG to escape inhumane conditions of socioeconomic repression themselves. The notion that the IMG at large simply doesn't give a shit about humanitarian endeavours seems like a cheap attempt at hamfisting "everything is maximally grimdark and good people just don't exist!!1!one" into the lore even beyond the extent to which Sirius is already like that.

Sure, Yuma is likely the best bet for the escaped slaves, and the IMG has little motivation to see them end up anywhere else in particular as opposed to on Yuma (despite their complicated relations with the Crayter Republic), but I doubt the IMG would have bothered assisting the revolt in the first place solely to stick it to the Outcasts when the IMG are not exactly a superhuman fighting force (as the Outcasts are) and knew full well they'd take many losses (which they did). Nobody volunteers for a suicide mission if they aren't actually motivated by some kind of ideal, and whether the escaped slaves continue to rot on the Freeport or attain new lives on Yuma makes little difference to the Maltese—something largely acknowledged in the writeup OP itself—so asserting that the IMG would participate while being completely apathetic to the humanitarian aspect just seems incredibly ignorant of what the Guild's like.

RE: [Official Event] Snake Eyes - StellarViss - 09-04-2024

(09-03-2024, 11:46 PM)TheKusari Wrote:
(09-03-2024, 03:58 PM)Barrier Wrote: but if you don't want to organize unofficial events, you probably wouldn't enjoy doing official ones either.

Not interested in the event, but I shall take this particular statement on board.
The whole reason on why I personally do not organize such events is that its rules can't be enforced by staff unlike official events. An example would be a third group showing up to crash the said event or much simpler not following the allowed ship class during the event. While I am sure that all OFs would respect rules of that event nothing prevents a random player/ group of players from not following them. The only thing that I as a event organizer could do is ask them politely to follow the rules.

Edit: Now I am not for letting OFs just have the ability to make what ever event they want. I am in favor of it needing staff approval first if the OF in question want the rules enforced by them.

RE: [Official Event] Snake Eyes - StellarViss - 09-04-2024

(09-04-2024, 11:24 AM)Petitioner Wrote:
(09-03-2024, 03:58 PM)Barrier Wrote: The IMG as a whole don't particularly care about the fate of escaped slaves, hence why we mention volunteers.

I find this a little hard to believe. Many Guild members would probably sympathize with the refugees; after all, most people come to the IMG to escape inhumane conditions of socioeconomic repression themselves. The notion that the IMG at large simply doesn't give a shit about humanitarian endeavours seems like a cheap attempt at hamfisting "everything is maximally grimdark and good people just don't exist!!1!one" into the lore even beyond the extent to which Sirius is already like that.

Sure, Yuma is likely the best bet for the escaped slaves, and the IMG has little motivation to see them end up anywhere else in particular as opposed to on Yuma (despite their complicated relations with the Crayter Republic), but I doubt the IMG would have bothered assisting the revolt in the first place solely to stick it to the Outcasts when the IMG are not exactly a superhuman fighting force (as the Outcasts are) and knew full well they'd take many losses (which they did). Nobody volunteers for a suicide mission if they aren't actually motivated by some kind of ideal, and whether the escaped slaves continue to rot on the Freeport or attain new lives on Yuma makes little difference to the Maltese—something largely acknowledged in the writeup OP itself—so asserting that the IMG would participate while being completely apathetic to the humanitarian aspect just seems incredibly ignorant of what the Guild's like.

Independent Miners' Guild
Stellar Regulations aka IMG law Wrote:
5. Human Trafficking:
In the past, thousands of slaves were transported to Omicron Alpha every month. As the IMG promotes equality and freedom, such acts are considered crimes against humanity. The Guild is firmly committed to preventing the reestablishment of slavery as an institution in Sirius. Therefore if a slaver is intercepted, they are obliged to free their captives at a Guild base. If this is not possible due to docking restrictions, IMG transports will be dispatched to rescue the slaves.

RE: [Official Event] Snake Eyes - Barrier - 09-04-2024

I see that there is a general misconception about the IMG's role in this event between story and players. I've pinged people to add to the discussion, so we can hopefully resolve this. I personally don't know enough about the region to make any sweeping claims, so I'll defer to those who do. But yes, I prefer not to change an established narrative after it was announced. So if there are substantial issues, they can be fixed after the event is over.

(09-04-2024, 11:25 AM)StellarViss Wrote: The whole reason on why I personally do not organize such events is that its rules can't be enforced by staff unlike official events.

From my experience, you are overestimating how much rulebreaking goes on at unofficial events. Even before 1.0 was in place, I don't remember a single instance where one of my unofficial events was deliberately derailed by people. I'm talking over 10 events without major issues. Sure, now and then you have indies jumping in, but even that was a minor nuisance, since they were usually newbs who just kinda flew around. And now, you have rule 1.0 to ensure that things go smoothly, since anyone who wants to derail an unofficial event with reasonable rules is a dick.