Discovery Gaming Community
Generic shipname replacement? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Generic shipname replacement? (/showthread.php?tid=20505)

Pages: 1 2

Generic shipname replacement? - tansytansey - 05-15-2009

' Wrote:I got some names for Rheinland. The current names (used by the fighters) are Phantom, Banshee, Valkyrie, and Wraith. I don't know the bomber name though...it might be Fafnir. Anyway, for capital ship names, I was thinking Ghost, Spectre, Shadow, Spirit, or Shade. Yes I got these from Halo, but they do fit with the Rheinland names of spiritual or spectral beings.

Liberty should have names about freedom, democracy, and protectors. I was thinking Independence, Arbiter, and Sentinel.

Bretonia should have names about knights like the Partisan (although that is being used by the Coalition), Chevalier, or Cadet.

Kusari should have names about mythical beasts. A list of them can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_speci...e_and_mythology
Just press Ctrl+F and then type in "Japanese" and you'll find a bunch of Japanese mythical beasts.

Gallia, if they don't have names already, should just use names of cats like they do on the fighters (one of the fighters is called the Lynx). Examples would be the Tiger, Lion, Cheetah, or Jaguar.

It should be noted when naming capital ships that in Vanilla, Fighters and Freighters carried different naming Schemes. For example:
Patriot, Defender, Rhino
Cavalier, Crusader, Clydesdale
Drake, Dragon, Drone
Banshee, Valkyrie, Humpback

Also exhibited in Discovery is that Cap Ship names don't share the name scheme of their fighters, either. This is a trend that should be kept in mind when naming unnamed capital ships.

Generic shipname replacement? - Montezuma/Kukulcan - 05-15-2009

' Wrote:Funny, I was under the impression that all of the house BSs had only one class name per house.

No, they have at least 2, the "Dunkirk" and the "Victoria".

Generic shipname replacement? - teschy - 05-15-2009

' Wrote:The problem is that the capital ships of the main houses represent different classes of ship.

The Bretonian Battleship is the Dunkirk, as well as several other classes too, depending on when they were made, I think.

Let's think about real life. There is the USS Nimitz, which is a Nimitz Class Supercarrier. But there are other ships of the same class, about 10 of them, named differently.

Take that into the game, and you can have the HMS-Dunkirk, as the bretonian flagship, and other Dunkirk Class battleships named differently.

Generic shipname replacement? - ioha - 05-15-2009

What blunt said is correct - the battleships all already have names, vanilla ones included.
When ingame, select a stationary battleship and press F9. The class mentioned there is not the same for all battleships.

Also, there are rumours on the main planets speaking about older and new battleship classes. For example, there's a rumour on Manhattan stating the Rio Grande to be an older type whereas others were constructed later - and thus are from a different class.
Of course, we don't really 'see' these differences ingame (leaving the F9-method out).

Still, I support the thought of naming our flyable ships. What I'd suggest is to create some new battleship or battlecruiser models for Bretonia and Rheinland.
Kusari and Liberty already have more capital ships than the others, if I remember correctly, so it'd only seem logical to even the odds.

Generic shipname replacement? - Xing - 05-15-2009

Rheinland BS: Bismark class
Li dreadnaught: Overlord class (it seems, anyway...)
Li carrier: Atlantis class

why dont they have their name shown... because it seems despite change of class in vanilla, they all look identic... so the Eagle class li dread is exactly the same as the monument class... or the overlord class, all three of which are stationary Li dread ships.

Generic shipname replacement? - Dusty Lens - 05-15-2009

That's partially my fault.

When drafting up the... Well intimidating number of new ship infocards caps were largely left out of the loop. Their infocards were boring, generic and bland... But functional. As such they sort of stood in the sidelines of mediocrity while infocards with glaring grammatical errors (which I replaced with new infocards which had even worse grammatical errors) and other aberrations got the real manlove.

So some ships suddenly have names, backgrounds and other bits of glory. While some remained fallow.

Suggestions are more than welcome for 86! Hopefully things will be much cleaner then!

That's partially my fault.

When drafting up the... Well intimidating number of new ship infocards caps were largely left out of the loop. Their infocards were boring, generic and bland... But functional. As such they sort of stood in the sidelines of mediocrity while infocards with glaring grammatical errors (which I replaced with new infocards which had even worse grammatical errors) and other aberrations got the real manlove.

So some ships suddenly have names, backgrounds and other bits of glory. While some remained fallow.

Suggestions are more than welcome for 86! Hopefully things will be much cleaner then!