Discovery Gaming Community
ID Blackmail, note to admins - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: ID Blackmail, note to admins (/showthread.php?tid=3010)

Pages: 1 2 3

ID Blackmail, note to admins - Dog-Soldier - 06-04-2007

Archelon said "As to the SF - yeah - why not. An ID is just as much a part of the cargo as anything else on board. Perfectly within RP to intervene. Not that there's anything he could do administratively, he could RP it as illegal cargo. Its a stretch..."

Stretch too far...IMHO fella. You cannot expect lwful characters to asist you in an unlawful act of piracy....they would/should kill you on sight and then take the trader to task...not the other way round as you suggest.

On the ID thing I am shocked at what Nightfall says about how big a problem it appears to be....I have made mistakes when tired...trading is sooooo boring and when I finally traded up to a large train I honestly 'forgot' to transfer the trader ID for about an hour until a kind soul pointed out my error after a scan and I bought it again. I guess what I'm saying here is scan away and take a name if they are offending the ID rules and do nothing when you tell them. Start a thread for reporting offenders with a screen shot and if they keep offending thier names will keep appearing and admins can sanction them based on the evidence already there. Lets not report each and everyone to the admins though they already have a big enuff job as it is!

ID Blackmail, note to admins - Fellow Hoodlum - 06-04-2007

Have to agree Nadir, I was being a little vague, and didn't have time to expand on the original theme.
Using the rule to your advantage is a big nono, point out the error OOC and take a shot if necessary, but using
it to gain the upper hand is just sad.
Archelon, careful of interpretation ... Sidewinder, you have been around long enough to know ...

Hoodlum

ID Blackmail, note to admins - Dab - 06-04-2007

I'm going to have to agree with Dog Soldier here..

Lawfuls helping unlawfuls is a big no no. In fact, if you worried about your own ID, more than just looking to get money or people in trouble, you'd see if the SF had come and aided you, both you and the SF would be violating your own IDs.

Lawfuls IDs specifically state they cannot ally (such as aiding) any unlawfuls. Unlawful (pirate) IDs specifically state they cannot ally with lawfuls. So a pirate trying to get SF to help him, is a violation of the pirate's ID.

Secondly, the ID is NOT a part of the cargo of a ship. It is a mere form of identifaction. It is not even in the cargo equipment slot. It is in the nano-bots, shield-batteries, and armor upgrades slot. This is not cargo, its mounted and unmounted equipment. Nano bots and shield batts are not cargo, they are equipment used to heal your ship. The ID is equipment mounted into your ship's IFF (this is in RP btw, and this is an RP server) transponders and shows who you are. Its a form of identification, not cargo, nor something RP factions can restict.

"Oh noes! He is using the Ageira ID!!!! Fine him!!" No. The ONLY actions taken on IDs are whether they are friendly, neutral, or hostile. A corsair ID carrier would be hostile to SF, however, SF can't fine somebody just because they have a certain ID.

@Dog-Soldier; I was that 'kindly soul' I think I was in my Luxury Liner at the time..

ID Blackmail, note to admins - Sidewinder - 06-04-2007

Great points Nadir, that was the main problem I wanted to illustrate. I do not believe it is fair to allow players to use the ID system to their advantage and I do not like the idea of faction police becoming server rule police. There is too much room for exploitation and will make the admins jobs much harder.

@Archelon,
I have nothing against you and certainly do not want the admins to ban you over this. The idea you brought up was far more unnerving than anything you did (which was actually ok to do in RP according to the server rules). I doubt your intention was to exploit it. I was thinking in terms of a broader issue, not a personal one. I also apologize; I thought that you wanted the 2 mil so that you would not go tell SF that my ID was messed up. I would have paid you had I known that that was for Rp and not breaking the rules. I thought you were trying to RP blackmail me using the sever rules as reasoning.

@Nightfall
I have not been playing very much so I somehow missed the warnings; anyway as soon a archelon told me that my ID was messed up I fixed it.

ID Blackmail, note to admins - Archelon - 06-05-2007

Wow - people get stirred up so quickly.

@ Sidewinder: No malice intended. There were two separate things going on that night.

Item #1 - I was attempting to RP pirate you for some cash (the 2 mil). In order to do this, server rules require I verify your level is 30 or better and check your ID. I gotta check ID to make sure you're not part of an allied faction or wearing a Neutral ID. If you were - hands off for me. Bottom line here - this was part of my pirate RP.

Item #2 - Bad ID on your ship. First I wanted to make you aware of it and second make sure you fixed it before the admins caught you. FYI - whenever I come across someone wearing an FL ID above level 40, I make them aware of it so they can fix it. I typically will not engage that character until they get the ID fixed. NEVER EVER would I use a rule for intimidation. I'd rather solve the matter before admins need to be called in. From Korrd's comment in a post above, I feel like I'm walking on eggshells. Trust me, I'm not that type of a person.

@ Everyone else: I'm beginning to feel the rules are being stretched quite a bit in various situations. What one person calls RP another calls violating RP. I've discovered in another thread that my Rogue pirating outside Liberty space is wrong. Ok - if that's the case so be it. Then if my Rogue does business outside Liberty (non-pirating business such as sellin captured Bounty Hunters to the Mollys in Dublin - read selling cargo) then I suppose I'd not be attacked by the Bretonians for being a pirate Rogue. If I'm wrong here - please let me know - cause RP is too complex to place hard limits.

Now can we get back to playing the game?

ID Blackmail, note to admins - PARAKEET - 06-05-2007

Wouldn't lawfuls and unlawfuls aid each other when being ambushed by nomads or a more hated enemy. Like Order and Liberty navy are shooting at each other then all of sudden nomads pop out and start shooting at the both of them. Both sides alone would not be able to defeat the nomads because they were already in a weakened state from fighting each other. So in some circumstances it would be reasonable to aid a unlawful when a lawful, vice-versa. Admins are the SERVER police. SF is the BRETONIAN police. That makes 2 different police that handle problems in their Jurisdictions. Admins Ban, Kick, fine etc. SF shoot pirates, Scan cargo, destroy contraband etc.

There was no alliance between my pirate and the lawful forces of Cambridge. The SF informed me there was no pirating on his watch and I told him to do his job of enforcing the law (referring to the ID). Read into it what you want. I thought I was in RP - but that's even open to interpretation.

ID Blackmail, note to admins - Sidewinder - 06-05-2007

@Acheron
I feel bad, I had no idea that people would be yelling at you over this and since reputations on the forums are hard to repair I will put my final word in here.

To anyone who has read or posted here,
Any discrepancies between archelon and myself are at this point resolved, it is my mistake and I jumped to conclusions about what he was doing. If this thread is in any way used judge his character, I WILL be pissed.

Thanks Sidewinder,

But then I suppose I'll get more grief simply because all my characters are pirates. Seems everyone wearing a Lawful ID, Tag, IFF, what have you, will accuse us pirates of evil things. Our reputation will never be good with lawfuls.

Good luck in the trading business.

ID Blackmail, note to admins - caylith - 06-05-2007

Come on Archelon. You are roleplaying as a Pirate. What do you expect lawfuls to do? You are a pirate, you pirate people. Why do you think lawful NPC's attack NPC pirates? It's cause they're evil pirates. If you don't want lawfuls to hate you...well then don't RP as an evil pirate.

More power to the pirates in my book. Pirates spice things up a bit. :P