Discovery Gaming Community
concept model - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: concept model (/showthread.php?tid=30129)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

concept model - Jinx - 11-24-2009

it is - in a way - meant to be derived from the Persephone ( which is meant to be the precurser of the "modern" juggernaut )

the actual persephone is displayed in my sig ( the one that is in game is buggy 8( - i had to replace it ... it CTDed me several times with some sort of stacking issue and dx complaints )

from what - the zoners added more hull, more habitational modules, biodomes - etc to the raw frame.

the general concepts getting away from "pure" vanilla more and more.....

why is that so? - well... the models are taking "baby steps" away from it. - i know that its not possible to simply make a very sophisticated model with curves and fancy shapes - when you re used to seeing ships like the cube-like vanilla ships. - but when you get an updated and slightly more fancy model from time to time.... the change is "barable" - and i can get the designs step by step to a level where i think they ought to be. ( yes, i know its a bit devious )

what zoner caps have in common:

- they all consist of somewhat three parts ( a rather massive front, a smaller midsection that acts as a connection and a superframe and a rather light rear )
- most zoner caps are dominated by smooth shapes ( fearless has 4 shell parts, the aquillon underlines the smooth shape with its roundish tower set-up ( which is supposed not to look too round and smooth, cause the ship is meant to be a cheaper mass production ) - and the juggernaut has the round riggings around the domes - and the spiderweb ornament.
- zoner caps often look clumbsy and big at first - but have some sleek element about them.

here is a concept image of a revised Fearless ( destroyer ) - but i haven t gone on working on it, cause i cannot seem to contact AoM ( who made the fearless ) - tried email etc. - but to no success.

[Image: destroyer.png]
sorry, its a bad render - i haven t made the efford to sharpen it - so metaseq applies its silly smooth effect.

as you can see - i ll try to incorporate more sophisticated shapes - sleeker, - more .... show. ... into the zoner ships. ( so when they cannot really fight properly - they should at least look good not being able to fight )

edit:

i call them "concepts" cause i don t know if they re going a bit too far. - i mean, yes.. i can make ships look even more fancy and complex - but the question is... do they still "fit in"? - i can revise zoner ships until they look as fancy as some EVE ships... but we do not change the vanilla ships. - so - at one point, there ll be a gap.

and people will ask themselves "how come the liberty navy is flying around in ships that look like they were getting dusty 500 years ago already - while the zoners fly around in sleek caps that look like they are some sort of uber space race warships?"

concept model - JW.corsair - 11-24-2009

I wanted a Juggy before and with this new concept I really want one.
It looks awesome

concept model - Luis - 11-24-2009

' Wrote:
[Image: destroyer.png]

FINALLY on a new destroyer. I really hate the fearless look from the first day i saw it. No offence to who made it. The model is great, but it's not my type of model/ship.

This one looks better in a way. Beats the crap out of the fearless that is in -game.

concept model - Shagohad - 11-24-2009

It now has good engines. Yay. I like ships with decent engines! The shape is so much smoother. The older model seemed a bit utilitarian. It had more function than aesthetics in my opinion. This one has a more art-like feel to it.

concept model - Dab - 11-24-2009

I like the new Jugg, but one thing I don't is that huge chunk on the bottom. It seems rather out of place. It gives it too much of a vertical look, which is BHG. Zoners generally are long and wide, but short. And that part just doesn't look too great. Rest is good.

concept model - Sprolf - 11-24-2009

I've voiced opinions about how I think the current Juggernaut doesn't really look like it should.

This, however, is quite closer to what I imagine that the Juggernaut actually would.
The curves seem befitting of Zoner design, and the massive mass of the thing certainly fulfils the need for the ship to appear to be a colony ship - in short, I quite approve of this.

The "spiderweb" parts in the front are a nice touch as well.

Your last Juggernaut model was a bit insubstantial and too fantastic, with all its thinness and weird curves and webbing and whatnot. It was a bit clumsy, compared to this.

This one, though, actually manages to be graceful and make sense.
There is no silly loops running off into space from what I can see, and the entire body is something that a real ship might possess - and yet, it has the grace of... well, I have to say "Gungan Engineering," referring the Star Wars (if you don't know.)

Beautiful job, very well done, I'd [i[love[/i] to see this implemented in-game.
Absolutely fantastic.

EDIT:
As an afterthought, what purpose would the "spiderwebbing" have?

Perhaps you could hollow out the inside portion of the "nose" and put another biodome or sort of city-construct under the rectangular windows (Are they windows? But I mean a city-construct like you did in the center of your very excellent Hospital Ship.) The "spiderwebbing" would, in roleplay, cover them in high radiation areas, when they get near to a sun, or when it's "night" in the ship. Etc... etc... That, of course, may be a flight of fancy, as the poly count would probably be very high without doing something inside.

concept model - Shagohad - 11-24-2009

' Wrote:I like the new Jugg, but one thing I don't is that huge chunk on the bottom. It seems rather out of place. It gives it too much of a vertical look, which is BHG. Zoners generally are long and wide, but short. And that part just doesn't look too great. Rest is good.

Agreed. It appears to be more like a fin if anything. Perhaps losing that entirely and trimming it down?

concept model - Akura - 11-24-2009

This is what the Jinkusu should look like.

Sex in space as Seth stated.

concept model - Not Espi - 11-25-2009

this looks like .. umm ..

WIN?

perhaps that lower extension of the hull is not fitting, but the whole thing looks hell'a good

edit: is it just me or is there a close resemblance to the ship in your sig?

concept model - BlueSpawn - 11-25-2009

' Wrote:Jush, that is a very nice model, just one Q tough, why that pointed arrow on the back of the ship?

I'd also like to know the answer to that. One of the tails looks like it's been pinched. A glitch or did you do that intentionally? I'm not sure it's a good concept.

All in all, this is a very nice model. The top is excellent. However, the bottom doesn't really match in style. And typically when you have some engines or thrusters, that's fine. But when the entire lower region of the ship is the polar opposite of the top, it looks a bit stark. My advice would be to add some smooth/round shapes at the bottom, to parallel the top. You don't have to change the entire underbody, but having more consistancy will help a great deal. Also, I think that the shape for the 2 Turbo pipes at the bottom is very tacky. They need something. I'm not sure what, but they don't look believable. Everything else is top notch. Great job.

To those who are saying that Zoner ships are inconsistant, I would say that there are definitely patterns, but no they are not as similar in design as the vanilla line of fighters. This is because you have multiple people designing various ships. Now that Jinx is pretty much doing the entire line of Zoner vessels, we should be seeing more consistancies. However, two very big traits among Zoner ships are:

A round chasis on the front, with a tail in the back. Almost every Zoner ship has it.