Discovery Gaming Community
Shield Running - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Shield Running (/showthread.php?tid=4385)

Pages: 1 2

Shield Running - Jinx - 11-01-2007

there is an attitude to fight to death though. i allways run away when the odds turn against me. but i feel that people wish me to stay to the end in a very non rp way sometimes. ( i mean the usual taunts for honour and lack of skill and whatever else. some of it is based on roleplay - but i can hardly think of police taunting a pirate to turn around to fight to death for example )

all in all, it feels as if its not really common to run away ( and its not reflected in the rules as an option, either ). you run away and dock, - you re treated just as if you were dead, leave the system and don t reengage. to cut it short, the roleplay is given up for the thrill of pvp and a bit of balance in some places. players often want to shoot someone down, cause its just nicer to see an explosion than seeing someone getting away.

anyway, i do agree with you on the shield running. especially as its rather unbalanced. when you fight 2 enemies, they are allowed to shield run ( taking turns in getting out of your range ) - but when you fight one on one, its not allowed. but i also agree with the above. when people just realize that they are weaker, they should simply go. its no roleplay to stay and fight against an obviously stronger enemy and hope for that one lucky shot - UNLESS you re maybe defending your home. which means that running away is an utter defeat for your faction in their home. there are many situations that determine how to act appropriatly. so, in terms of "is it sanctionable" .. i guess it must be looked into very very closely each time it happens.

Shield Running - Skorp - 11-01-2007

Well, in all the time I am on the server now, it never (and I mean NEVER) occurred to me that somebody let me go when I flee from the battle ... all SB/NB gone, hull down to about 5%, firing off CMs and cruising away with no intention to come back whatsoever, I never met somebody who let me go. One guy even chased me through 10 ( ! ) systems, from Omega 11 up to Kusari space!

Dunno, will some guys have problems with sleeping if they let an enemy run (which normally is a victory) ? :D

(yes, I know, I could quick-dock at any planet or station nearby, but that?s not what I call escaping)

Shield Running - alance - 11-01-2007

I run away a lot and I'm proud of it!;)If I'm obviously losing I kick on the cruise and flee like a whipped puppy. With few exceptions that's more in RP than getting your ship popped. Of course in some cases it is more expensive to run off and dock because then you must repair damage. Many just fight until death so they don't have to spend cash on repairs.

Shield Running - pipsqueak - 11-01-2007

The reason it is illegal is because the BS shields are so god dang hard to take down....now Imagine a pilot who fights and kills smaller ships till his shields are almost out, then he successfully engages cruise while the shields are charging up. even if a BS fights a dozen bombers, it can effectively win all fights as long as it shield runs. case in point, a battleship can hurt a bomber with 2 or three well placed shots.....and frankly the BS shield recharges faster than what a single bomber can do to it.