Discovery Gaming Community
ID and IFF Help - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: ID and IFF Help (/showthread.php?tid=56405)

Pages: 1 2

ID and IFF Help - sean24 - 03-10-2011

Yes but why would a ship carry around "ship papers" stating he is a pirate?

For most Freelancer IFF players I actually prefer to not scan their ship and ID and make my judgement on whether they are a pirate based on ship, tl disrupt or other. This is how it would be for a sci fi ship captain in space (firefly comes to mind) and is alot more fun.

When playing lawful though I will scan them. Personally I dislike the whole "you have a criminal record" excuse for PvP. I prefer to consult the house laws- see if he is a lawbreaker. Usually pirate ID'd players are breaching ship laws or some other. And if they arn't- pass them right on by.

ID and IFF Help - Mickk - 03-10-2011

' Wrote:Yes but why would a ship carry around "ship papers" stating he is a pirate?

For most Freelancer IFF players I actually prefer to not scan their ship and ID and make my judgement on whether they are a pirate based on ship, tl disrupt or other. This is how it would be for a sci fi ship captain in space (firefly comes to mind) and is alot more fun.

When playing lawful though I will scan them. Personally I dislike the whole "you have a criminal record" excuse for PvP. I prefer to consult the house laws- see if he is a lawbreaker. Usually pirate ID'd players are breaching ship laws or some other. And if they arn't- pass them right on by.

I'm not happy about people with Pirate ID's being able to have a Freelancer IFF, but I've been told that it is not against the rules or OORP.

It still annoys the heck out of me when I see a FL IFF and they suddenly go "Stand and Deliver! Yarrrr!".

ID and IFF Help - Not Espi - 03-10-2011

back in the day, we used to treat people according to how they act, not according to what id they have. ie - you as an LPI, really want to check papers of ALL ships that pass by you? if your character knows it;s a pirate, start rping an arrest / chase / whatnot. if you dont, be creative.

ID and IFF Help - rwx - 03-10-2011

Forum search.

http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84953

(On the next Page you'll find also a thread named "Priority to ID or IFF?")

ID and IFF Help - Jeryl - 03-10-2011

' Wrote:ID should match IFF as closely as posible. Thats a rule. Also ID's over rule the IFF,and ship. also a rule. Go by ID at all times,and you break no rules.
I see a pirate ID he is a Pirate plain and simple. just like a junker is junker. Navy is navy. I do not care what player states. Rules say go by the ID. If they think that is not RP? to bad. I go by ID,and kill them. They can file a sanction if they want. Tired of all these "non pirates" saying they are "not a pirate" and "you can't do anything without proof" crap. Do not want to be a pirate? do not get the ID.
You are tired of people roleplaying?
Too bad.
' Wrote:Yes but why would a ship carry around "ship papers" stating he is a pirate?
Using another example...
Would a smuggler carry around ship papers stating that they are a smuggler?Of course not.
@Topic:
IFFs are visible.

ID and IFF Help - SnakThree - 03-10-2011

I would say IFF and factionized IDs are visibly to all.
Generic IDs + Aliens in disguise are not

ID and IFF Help - MarvinCZ - 03-10-2011

People, read the linked thread where Cannon explains it.
http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84953

' Wrote:I'm posting this to clarify my statement regarding the fact that IDs are out-of-roleplay items.

IDs are out of role play items. They explain to other players how a particular player is likely to act. For example, if you have a pirate ID then you are a pirate and you should act like one and other players should treat you like one.

Some people interpreted my statement that IDs are out of role play items as other players cannot see the ID because this would be meta gaming. This is not a valid view. They can be treated as roleplay items. Many players use them as a the ship's papers, a pilot's license or a a police officer's badge.

Hopefully this clears this up. If this doesn't then feel free to ask questions...

Edit: Of course you can choose to "not know", but it is just from your own choice, you don't need to.

ID and IFF Help - AeternusDoleo - 03-10-2011

' Wrote:Greetings everyone,i hava a simple quesion i would like to ask. Would clarify many questions i hold.
Ill put it in a simulation:
A LPI crosses paths with a Freelancer,find he has a pirate ID.
What action should the LPI take?
Depends on what the LPI wants to do. The LPI may engage the pirate with proper RP. "Your craft is registered as being a suspected pirate. Power down your weapons and prepare to set a course to <nearby lawful base> for processing."
"No, I won't comply! You have no right to do this!"
*pewpew* "Yes I do."

Quote:Other is quite similer.
A LN patroling the area find a hessian in New York system,but with IMG ID. What action should be taken.
IMG ID is repninja'd hostile to Hessians, so not possible. But hypothetically, and for similar situations: Inform the player OORPly via private message that his IFF is not matching his ID. Most of the time this is due to a botched repfix, and the player hasn't even noticed.

In all cases, ID overrides IFF.

ID and IFF Help - Karean - 03-10-2011

I understand now, thank you so much for your time guys. Was most apreciated.
Best regards