Discovery Gaming Community
SSDs would you buy them right now? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: SSDs would you buy them right now? (/showthread.php?tid=56918)

Pages: 1 2 3

SSDs would you buy them right now? - Virus - 03-18-2011

I use a 32gb one I got for free to run high-performance games and stuff off of.

SSDs would you buy them right now? - AeternusDoleo - 03-18-2011

Solid state drives are great for applications requiring low burst throughput, but high random access performance. But their cost in terms of cash per megabyte is relatively high. I'm considering to purchase one for my game machine to run my OS and games from... probably one of the OZC Vertex series, they're scoring good in benchmarks.

For video storage and the likes I'd still stick to (Mirror RAID setup for safety) standard harddrives.

As for the OS swapfile: If you have over 4GB in memory, it's best to disable the swap alltogether and force the OS to keep active data in memory. Not likely you'll run out anyway.

SSDs would you buy them right now? - alphadog - 03-18-2011

I believe that 8-year thing is if you use it -really- intensively. Its not so bad when you just use it normally. The new controllers also solve the decrease in performance problem, by erasing deleted files themselves.

I won one, and I love it, but they're too expensive to consider another one for my PC for example... 2 euro per gigabyte... meh.

SSDs would you buy them right now? - Rivas - 03-18-2011

I got 2 Corsair Novas,64 GB each,in RAID0.Bought them in late 2010 to improve overall gaming loading times,especially in some titles (such as Gothic 3).But,aside from that,i don't see much improvement from them, that i could care for.Meaning,i only play games and develop software at home,occasionally.

In gaming,except for the loading times,everything resides on RAM,mostly.In software development,i saw no improvement of speed whatsoever in neither of VS,Eclipse,netBeans,IntelliJ,etc.

But,i guess that for people who use 3d modeling,video rendering or alike heavily,then a SSD or 2 can get you some satisfaction in running things faster (at least).

SSDs would you buy them right now? - Fletcher - 03-18-2011

Just found this statistic...

SSD cost per Gigabyte is:
Wikipedia Wrote:As of February 2011, NAND flash SSDs cost about (US)$1.20'€“2.00 per GB

And for HDD:
Wikipedia Wrote:As of February 2011, HDDs cost about (US)$0.05/GB for 3.5 in and $0.10/GB for 2.5 in drives

That's an incredible gap!

SSDs would you buy them right now? - Dart - 03-21-2011

' Wrote:Just found this statistic...

SSD cost per Gigabyte is:
And for HDD:
That's an incredible gap!
you also have to consider how the technologies differ

consider a harddrive to be a multi layers sheet you can write and erase information on.

an SSD is like like a prison, with multiple cells, which need to be organized in a specific way, are more expensive to maintain and are simply bigger.

If you are interested in a hybrid SSD/HD

consider researching these drives
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148591

SSDs would you buy them right now? - Cannon - 03-21-2011

I want several for the server. It would make the server work a fair bit faster.

SSDs would you buy them right now? - wilwerin2 - 03-21-2011

That gonna be a fair load of donations to afford theese things.

SSDs would you buy them right now? - Kharon - 03-21-2011

Its more useless than reasonable. These solid-state drives are technicaly old stuff realy. They where already common 15 Jears ago. But very expensive, made from real dram, naturaly with much smaller capacity, exclusive for high performance servers (prizeregion to over 100.000$).

Now suddenly its all (cheap) "flash"-ram (Flash memory). Basicly a developed technology that was common long time as storage for Bios on Mainboards (Eprom).

The main problem with this technology is that it does have a much lower "mean time between failures" (MTBF) in comparison to modern HDDs and Drams.

Also overwriting data on a flash-ram takes much more time than just writing to a free cell. For this reason you barly get ssd`s with 20 or less GB, what would be most reasonable, for almost all its effective magic works in keeping the Operating System (OS) highly availably.

So actualy you would only need the space your OS takes, like maybe 10 GB for Windows XP, 15-20 for Windows 7, but you have to buy 64 GB or more to use 20 GB of it effectifly!! You may also notice that most SSD dont go with over 2 Years warranty, because they wear off much faster than modern good HDs (5 Years).

So you want to speed up 10 GB but have to buy 64 or more, very expensive even, that probably starts getting problems and becomming slower so fast you need a new one in 2-3 Years..just like LCD-Monitors.

Industry is very happy with such products..you can be too..but for a heavy price and not long..

SSDs would you buy them right now? - hypermauler - 03-21-2011

I sure thinked once about geeting one of them, but I prefered investing in greater memory module and hight quality peripherals... and purchase one later along with a 2nd vid card... that in about a year or so.

All in all, a pretty expensice extention.... mostly not necessary for the averaze joe. In my case I went for a big WD sata 3 hight density, on top of my old WD velociraptor'