Discovery Gaming Community
Official faction activity - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Faction Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Thread: Official faction activity (/showthread.php?tid=61466)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Official faction activity - Daedric - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:Don't make it a job. Perhaps factions should put aside policies that alienate independents and try to attract them instead.

Someone pointed out in another thread that some factions don't alienate independents but have trouble with activity. Maybe military/house factions should have a higher server activity threshold than trading/mining/"minor" factions.

Please give an example of an official faction that alienates independents. You are using it as support for your argument so you must present proof that it is even a problem.

' Wrote:Not 300, but I agree.

Official factions recieve too much power over other players as it is. They even act as sort of mini-admins when it comes to technology permissions, yet the requirements are extremely relaxed.

Relaxed requirements shoud not = such power.

Official factions don't have very much power past ensuring you don't break with vanilla lore too much. As for your comment about technology permissions; that is what the admins wanted so they didn't have to deal with it and so it wasn't as stupid as typing up a story and mounting the guns.

Official faction activity - Zelot - 06-14-2011

I say we go back to the good old days. All you need is 5 members to be official, but you get no power from being official.

Official faction activity - Ingenious - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:Please give an example of an official faction that alienates independents. You are using it as support for your argument so you must present proof that it is even a problem.

I am not going to give a specific example because that will inevitably devolve into finger pointing and hurt feelings. Let me instead point out how, on the server, most people are playing independent, when that isn't reflected at all by NPC roleplay. Yes, it's Freelancer. But if you want to represent a faction, represent it. There has got to be a reason why there are so many independents purposefully avoiding joining official factions, even with their recruitment perk. I don't think it's just a language barrier.

Edit: Ninjad.
Quote:I say we go back to the good old days. All you need is 5 members to be official, but you get no power from being official.
Perhaps!!! Would not be bad!!!

I will keep revising the OP as this progresses.

Official faction activity - Death.RunningVerminator - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:Don't make it a job. Perhaps factions should put aside policies that alienate independents and try to attract them instead.

Someone pointed out in another thread that some factions don't alienate independents but have trouble with activity. Maybe military/house factions should have a higher server activity threshold than trading/mining/"minor" factions.
Well, some Indies want to be Indies for a reason.. And if we didn't have any Indies (which is what would happen if your scenario was put in place) then Disco would not operate correctly.

' Wrote:I say we go back to the good old days. All you need is 5 members to be official, but you get no power from being official.
Can i join?

Official faction activity - Hexx - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:I say we go back to the good old days. All you need is 5 members to be official, but you get no power from being official.
This is the first time I can recall being in agreement with you, Zelot.

/signed

' Wrote:Official factions don't have very much power past ensuring you don't break with vanilla lore too much. As for your comment about technology permissions; that is what the admins wanted so they didn't have to deal with it and so it wasn't as stupid as typing up a story and mounting the guns.

FR5 is a huge amount of power. So are tech permissions, but that's a different gripe of mine and I won't adulterate the impressively balanced discussion that has occurred so far.

Official faction activity - Garrett Jax - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:I am not going to give a specific example because that will inevitably devolve into finger pointing and hurt feelings. Let me instead point out how, on the server, most people are playing independent, when that isn't reflected at all by NPC roleplay. Yes, it's Freelancer. But if you want to represent an official faction, represent it. There has got to be a reason why there are so many independents purposefully avoiding joining official factions, even with their recruitment perk. I don't think it's just a language barrier.

One reason some independents don't join official factions is that they don't want to be told what to fly, what weapons they qualify for, what their rp is going to be etc. They want to be truly independent. Why try to induce them away from that?

These reasons won't go away with more active factions.

' Wrote:One reason some independents don't join official factions is that they don't want to be told what to fly, what weapons they qualify for, what their rp is going to be etc. They want to be truly independent. Why try to induce them away from that?

These reasons won't go away with more active factions.

If so many people are independent, then maybe factions should not be so disproportionately powerful.

Official faction activity - Matthews - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:This is meant to be a place to have fun. Not a second job.
This - is - a - game!

Official faction activity - Daedric - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:I am not going to give a specific example because that will inevitably devolve into finger pointing and hurt feelings. Let me instead point out how, on the server, most people are playing independent, when that isn't reflected at all by NPC roleplay. Yes, it's Freelancer. But if you want to represent a faction, represent it. There has got to be a reason why there are so many independents purposefully avoiding joining official factions, even with their recruitment perk. I don't think it's just a language barrier.

If you aren't going to give specific examples using it as support for your argument is moot.

The reason so many people prefer being independent is they don't have to follow proper role play. They don't have to prove they can role play before they get all the fancy toys. That is why most people prefer not joining an official faction. There are those indy players who are great role players, they are by far the minority in regards to independents.

Its human nature, why join a faction and become an ensign when you can be an indy and call yourself an Admiral?

' Wrote:FR5 is a huge amount of power. So are tech permissions, but that's a different gripe of mine and I won't adulterate the impressively balanced discussion that has occurred so far.

FR5 isnt' a huge amount of power. Seeing as its use is controlled by the administration. I know there have been FR5 requests that haven't been approved. I filed one myself many moons ago. Tech permissions, sure they have that power. Some wield it properly and others abuse it. The reason that right exists is because people abuse the piss out of the system that was in place prior to it. You complain about the poor role play to get tech now? Back then it was even worse, though I'll admit it hasn't improved for the most part. Part of the reason I've ceased giving out Zoner stuff with OSI. (Other OSI leads agreed.)