Discovery Gaming Community
Recreating the Phantoms? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Recreating the Phantoms? (/showthread.php?tid=68481)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Recreating the Phantoms? - DarthBindo - 11-07-2011

I've been using these italics a lot lately. Noticed? Good, I like italics.
Anyhow, if by some miracle a group does take up the Phantom ID and equipment, it won't be because they got some mythical admin "permission" to do so, but because they walked the same path that the Phantoms, IND, CR, SCRA, NovaPG, the RoS, and the HF walked to become who they are today (or were, in the case of Nova and the Phooms).
Good luck with that.
EDIT: For those unaware or dense, that would be tons of hard work, excellent roleplay and writing abilities, lots of time and more butt-kissing than a ....well, I'm sure you have an idea.

Recreating the Phantoms? - Maelstrom - 11-07-2011

Much of the time I disagree with Tenacity. Violently.

Much to my suprise I don't here.

The faction is dead but it's equipment survives. Makes little sense not to use it. Revamping thier rp into something totally different doesn't bother me that much. Maybe tone down thier equipment a bit (ok, tone it down a bumton), but other than that, I don't see any real reason this can't be done. Makes more sense than leaving thier equipment and base in the game and unused.

Maybe make them a very insular group of super spys or something, which is why nobody has really heard of them. A group of people who go around observing who ships what to where with whose money and ships, who shot who in the back for what reason, and what officer sold his honor to whom for how much. Then they could document and sell that info.

Doesn't have to be anything like that of course. Thats just the off the cuff rp I could come up with to bring them back into the game.

Recreating the Phantoms? - The Clearinghouse - 11-07-2011

' Wrote:Much of the time I disagree with Tenacity. Violently.

Much to my suprise I don't here.

The faction is dead but it's equipment survives. Makes little sense not to use it. Revamping thier rp into something totally different doesn't bother me that much. Maybe tone down thier equipment a bit (ok, tone it down a bumton), but other than that, I don't see any real reason this can't be done. Makes more sense than leaving thier equipment and base in the game and unused.

Maybe make them a very insular group of super spys or something, which is why nobody has really heard of them. A group of people who go around observing who ships what to where with whose money and ships, who shot who in the back for what reason, and what officer sold his honor to whom for how much. Then they could document and sell that info.

Doesn't have to be anything like that of course. Thats just the off the cuff rp I could come up with to bring them back into the game.
You called?

Recreating the Phantoms? - ryoken - 11-07-2011

' Wrote:OMG YES MAKE THE HUNTRESS CIVVY AGAIN.

I'd love you forever.

That'd be perfect. As well as all those juicy ships like the Slipstream and... what was it called? Shadow Assault Fighter? Something.

Good stuff.

All the Phatom ships are not disco ships.(IE from other games/movies/shows) So no phantoms? ships should also go away like all other ships not made for Disco.

As for Phantoms. They were not kill all on site back when i started, but they did go that way rather fast. Anyone taking them up would go same way. We do not need anymore factions like that. Already got to may now. I say let them stay dead.

Recreating the Phantoms? - Tenacity - 11-07-2011

Alright, here's what sparked this thread in the first place:

A long while back, I created a faction known as The Oracles. This group began when a zoner ship stumbled upon the Daam K'vosh structure now referred to as the Shrine. The group eventually became a link between those wanting to join the keepers and the keepers themselves - a midway faction that, while having it's own unique RP as a psuedo religious group, also provided instruction to those players seeking to become nomads.

The leader of the Oracles - the captain of the zoner ship that found the shrine and the first human to set foot on the structure - was an individual known only as Miranda. Over the course of my time playing that character, I took her on a drastically different path than the rest of the Oracles - she lead them, but at the same time she was 'possessed', for lack of a better word, by the K'vosh artificial intelligence entity that inhabited the shrine and guarded it's secrets. She shared her mind with that entity in much the same way a willing nomad host shares his or her body with the nomad incubus.

Through that shared existence, the entity slowly manipulated Miranda's DNA in order to progress her evolution as a human - it unlocked latent abilities such as telepathy and telekinesis, downloaded the knowledge of the shrine itself into her mind, and sent her off on peculiar quests to find very specific artifacts and people, for reasons that were never revealed to the rest of the Oracles or even to Miranda herself. She was an agent of the shrine, and through her service she became a more advanced individual, a truly symbiotic relationship.

Now, I've been wanting to rekindle Miranda's character and that RP since my return to disco, but I havent yet decided on a faction that fits - that is, until some thought was put into the disbanding of the Phantoms and the fact that they now have suitable bases and ships for Miranda's tasks.

In essence, the phantoms under Miranda would have absolutely no relation to the phantoms that once existed. They would be a completely new group, with new goals, new allegiances, and an entirely new style of roleplay. Miranda's group would, of course, consist of individuals similar to herself - agents chosen for being genetically ahead of the curve in comparison to the average Sirian human, and tasked with the collection of artifacts, similar living subjects, and anything else necessary to further the entity's goals (which I'm not going to reveal at this time).

The group would not be overtly hostile to any particular factions throughout Sirius, though obviously many groups - including the order and house governments - may be hostile to them. Outside of any necessary violence to procure the items they're tasked with obtaining, these individuals would never initiate hostilities. Due to their relation to the Oracles, they would be on semi-friendly terms with the Nomads, considering themselves advanced enough to be equals to the K'hara and as of yet unmentioned empires outside of Sirius.

The way I see it, the phantoms are an empty NPC faction perfectly suited to the group I had intended to create, and eventually the ships can be given custom models to fit them further.

Recreating the Phantoms? - Jeremy Hunter - 11-07-2011

Welp.

Can't retcon them.

Unless you wanna see how people react to the retcon of Cambridge and JiangXi.

Don't take our killer bunnies away gosh dammit, we need them to scare recruits who haven't seen Monty Python for the love of the Holy Grail.

Recreating the Phantoms? - Serpentis - 11-07-2011

Leave the Phantoms alone! Q_Q

No but seriously, I'd rather see them dissapear and their bases to, let the ships become civvie or others instead.

Recreating the Phantoms? - Maelstrom - 11-07-2011

Um, I think most of you are missing the point.

Tenacity isn't bringing back the phantoms. Tenacity is creating group that would use the existing tech of the defunct phantoms so as not to waste the effort that went into coding it. Don't have to call it the phantoms at all. Call it "Tenacity's Alien Gobbledygook" or something.

Don't like Tenacity's version but the idea of replacing the phantoms and using the tech has merit.

Recreating the Phantoms? - Marburg - 11-07-2011

Phantoms have been history for quite a while now & yet phantom-hate is still an issue. It doesn't matter if it's a fanboy reboot or just an excuse to try & get the ships out of mothballs...many people will whine, bitch & complain about it to the point where it will just become the same 'ol headache to deal with all over again.

The phantoms are gone & they took their ships w/ 'em as far as disco's concerned

Best to just let it go imho

Recreating the Phantoms? - Polarkreis - 11-07-2011

I like the idea of replacing their lost RP, and not to lose the beautifully dangerous Omicron-82:rolleyes:Go for it!

btw. long time ago Jinx created already a new "Umbrage" for the ex-Phantoms here:
http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?sh...l=alien+cruiser
It could replace the actual star trek import and serve for the "new" Phoooms or whoever it might get in the end:)