Discovery Gaming Community
Is Sirius too big? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Is Sirius too big? (/showthread.php?tid=76084)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Is Sirius too big? - Govedo13 - 03-06-2012

Hielor you are just lolwut and spammer. I would ask you nicely to leave this topic if you have nothing to say- go to flood. If you like to play alone- single player is just perfect suited to you- you could trade all the time in the world without being scared of interaction or god's forbid pirate.

Is Sirius too big? - ryoken - 03-06-2012

' Wrote:Hielor you are just lolwut and spammer. I would ask you nicely to leave this topic if you have nothing to say- go to flood. If you like to play alone- single player is just perfect suited to you- you could trade all the time in the world without being scared of interaction or god's forbid pirate.

^THIS^

Also on topic. I think the reason most Official factions are failing is that players are to limited to what RP they can follow,what ships they can fly, and Class of ships they can fly. People want to jump in, and get the ship they want. They cannot do that in most factions. That is the appeal to being an Indy. Total freedom to choose.
Also i have offered in past to join factions near death 1 accepted, then when they met quota suddenly claimed i was no longer a member. Oh well hope they never need help again. Others just get picky on who they will let in, so word gets around, and people stop applying.
The "we a better then you" attitude of most factions is also an issue. Faction/indie/admin whatever. No one is any better then anyone else. It is a fracking game.

Is Sirius too big? - Klaus Lange - 03-07-2012

" Honestly, I think the game needs two or three more houses like Gallia so I can trade more without having to worry about seeing anyone, ever. " *

It'll be end of this mod. Maybe, instead of powertrading/powergaming/powerpirating (lolwuts) let's start powerroleplaying?

* Of course without cash efficient playing on RP chars is not available, but even when I'm online on my cash-maker I RP. Even with Jokers... At least I try.

Is Sirius too big? - dragonterasu - 03-07-2012

Ok, I think many agree to the fact that Sirius is too big. Its meant to fill up factions how ever with the player count we got no adays people can think 2 things:

A: It never was a problem in the past, why now?
B: This is a problem to fix.

Well its simple. Traders. Money making. Capital ships. Multiple characters. Thats the thing realy I think. Lets say this different.

Our population is 100 average, give 10 of these people to a diff server and they got a peak! Why? Because there all the people are together. On discovery, people arnt. Thats the issue of this topic as well, Sirius has become too big. People are starting about too many factions made, and are wondering why. Well I have the solution here and for those who wonder, I have come to that conclusion also by myself: People wanna be something more. Many factions what are being made are purely cause they wanna be something more then that faction, or its to ressurect some faction, or to add a faction. Its the freedom that kills the population.

I might have an idea but its realy a 'very' radical one. I know some people might not like radical changes, and some might call me hypocritical, others might find it unfair and it might be unfair but it is a pretty good solution in my opinion. Thats why I wish to share this. Ok the, oh so radical idea of me:

This game is build up clustering of people, so we must cluster around 200 people. HOw could we do this.
If we say 200 people around at a time, that doesnt mean it are 200 the same people. Also, its 20% new players, 30%+ money makers. These days even more.

I will give two radical changes, the first one less the second very:

1: Limit every house to 1-1. So:
Liberty: Only official factions called Liberty, and within Liberty someone ranks up from LPI to LN to LSF with a new kind of promotion system depending on the person his RP skills. And Terrorist what contains all unlawful factions. All unlawfull factions within liberty got united. Talking about the LN, LR.
Kusari: Only official faction called Kusari, within this faction you start as police and through the RP you can get higher and higher etc just like with liberty. Unlawfful factions you get terrorist and within there you get the GC and BD who united etc.

Bretonia and Kusari go the same, you get my idea.

About Gallia: I say nomads, freaking nomads! They infiltrated the Gallia government. The order was so busy with Sirius that they forgot about Gallia! The 'gallic artifacts' had some strange powers which the nomads managed to activate. So Gallia is now under the rule of the Slomon K'hara. Makes it more fun for the nomads now. The Outcasts have a pretty allied on their side.

So then you get: Gallia+Nomads+Outcasts versus: Corsairs, Order and Council. They should also have this same ranking as with the houses but slightly more restricted. You start as council or Cosair..you rank up and up...when you get to a certain rank you can decide to join the order with a special application. Same goes in Gallia/Outcasts.

Gallia has the str of all house factions in one and they get the nomads?! Overpowered? :No, cause ALLOT of the GRN, civilians, etc went to join the council. Because they noticed the nomads and they didnt want this. They experienced how it feels to get over rules and they started thinking as the council.

Every house terrorist should have their own RP reason for being this terrorist.

Where do traders go?
Legal traders: Interspace commerence
Illegal traders: Pirates or freelancers

How will this have effect? This practicly makes things the same as before...
Well not exactly, you see before you had several pirates lurking all around. Now the pirates are all together, the authority is more linked. Also, all weapons and ships within the factions so for example liberty pirates: The liberty rogues and Lane hackers-> Now they share all technoligy with each other. And theres no real lane hacker and pirate faction anymore..you just got their bases..but in fact they are all [TERROR].

This how ever, wont make 'that' much of change as you may think. BUT this is still required for this radical plan. Why? You see..now everything is cluttered up in one BIG faction, promotions and ranks are under one flag. Now, what we can do is: Capital ship balancing.
-All police personal are alloweded to use fighters and bombers..
-Within the LN there will be made the ranks special for gunboats, cruisers and battleships.

And a final note, these new factions dont require the effort and activity some factions demanded in the past. People now have more freedom in when they are onlin eand how much.

This is one heck of a radical plan realy, but in my opinion an strong one.

Good and bad parts:
Good:
-People will do more their best to join official factions cause thats where this game will be all about now. And so there will be also less lolwutters because lolwuttery will get you no where now. No nice ships, no nice combats.
-People are more clustered so more gameplay and thats what this game is all about.
-A WHOLE new RP lore over the timeline what could be a nice change.
-More ships/tech available what is also fun
-Lesssanctioning or crying about 'this did this against his ID and he that' because everything is under 1 ID now.

Bad:
-Takes pretty much work
-All people who had a cap will be very disapointed but what i think is the best solution would be: Make a system where ALL PLAYERS come. Make ALLOT of pointers into checking your cargo and in your cargo is a item that tells you what to do: You must buy the Starflier and FL ID thats located on the base then you can use the jumpgate to get to New york. And the same gate, if you take him back: You come into pennsylvania (same idea as the Unknown->Penn/Penn->Texas jumphole). Ok how much does this starflier cost: 1$, so people with a cap are forced to sell their cap ship for example. And to prevent more dissapointing thoughts: That base refunds ALL your items by 100% value. (if possible, if not it should be done server-wide for a while until most people did this.)

An even MORE radical idea(that even possible? HELLZ YEAH)
Nomads spreaded through the outcasts to GC, from GC to BD, From BD to hogosha, from Hogosha to Kusari. From Kusari to other Kusari factions...

Nomads is the upper faction, and you have all these other factions they infected..and they nowrespresent one side. Nomads infected. All systems and bases are under the aff of nomads infected. Within this 'faction' you have all the same things...traders...and military. In the RP the 'infected traders' just deliver goods without getting paid. But oorp they get paid. The military is there to fight the second side. And in their own lands to fight the: Council, what has become a union of all survivors of the unlawfull factions from Gallia and Kusari.

The other side is Liberty, Bretonia and Rheinland who united to fight this threat all under: The Order. So all houses united. Things are way more open and theres just one ID: Alliance. Order is a seperate faction, seperate ID and such.

And within these houses..you have the fanatics, extremenists, Terrorists factions who came together to take this weak chance to overthrow the governments in their house. And still pirating and such.

Also now, the same idea should be worked out as in Idea one: You have an more organized/cleared faction thing so capital ship use can be limited much more! And before people go to their path that system should be made to sell their caps and such.

Then you have the old one on one battle back. RP is the same, but WAY more gameplay cause you have less 'gathering' points then before. More clustered this way.

Note: How to restrict capital ships? Give several high ranked people an special ship with allot of 'military' IDs. And the people who can grant you promotion to 'house FBI' also should have the power to grant you 'FBI' ID. The faction is the fame, but within the faction you have ID's. The first ID, you can buy from any base, is the police force ID.

These ideas are radical like hell, and i do not..i repeat: I do NOT say these things must be DONE right away NOW!. NO!. I just gave a few ideas what were on my mind to help this server. This server MUST stay alive at its full potential, you guys know why?..because: Freelancer is dead, finito, gone. It is now:
Discovery Freelancer. Admit it, discovery is the most popular server. All other people are on hamburg city, whats also slowly dieing.
So we maybe have to make a radical change to keep the epicness within this game. These changes might involve more 'pew pew' but the people these days want to have more pew pew then before. If you dont wanna pew pew cause you suck, start training ;P.

Anyway, again: Im not saying these are our only options. But this is perhaps something what could be thought about and also it might be even a good idea. Its all about clustering.

This is advice, my opinion, my thought about things, if you dont like it dont hate me flame me or for any reasons shoot me in the face. I love discovery as much as you people do and im just trying to come with some ideas cause i would hate to see discovery die just cause of a few little things that become big.

Also 2 final notes: Stop the makeing of new factions, stop the making of new systems. (and in addition to how the mod is atm: Dont make new systems)

This was my thought about it, what ya guys think about it?

CheersZ Me.

Is Sirius too big? - Mímir - 03-07-2012

Oops, posted in wrong thread

Is Sirius too big? - AshHill07 - 03-07-2012

To be honest I wouldn't just say its official factions. The amount of LN secondary fleet ships has dropped though the floor. Theres never more than 3 caps and I seem to be the only snub flying the LN- banner these days.

People just seem to want to be completely indie. It seems people won't even bother to just POST on the forums anymore just to get the LNS- or LN- tagging. Some don't even do that. I bet most of the LNS- ships I see are just normal indies.

Also although I don't really classify myself as an "indie" since I joined secondary fleet in the hope that people would take me atleast "partially" seriously.
As for why I haven't joined primary fleet to do that it probably links with my "I f***** hate figher battles" and you have to use fighters in order to get in. That and a lack of mic.

I spose I should consider getting into [LN] again. I mean I'm starting to loose interest in the server again. However I doubt forcing me to use a fighter will encourage me to stick to it.

' Wrote:I bet most of the LNS- ships I see are just normal indies.

They are... IMO something radically has to be done soon regarding the size of Sirius. Also a re-vamped forum with easy access to "lightweight RP", such as registering your ship and crew and accessing rules and regulations easily would work wonders. Sort of graduate it, so this forum serves lightweight-rp'ers with all they need to fit in on the server (in relation to rules and regulations and whatnot) and the official player factions, right on the front page, and then having the option of diving deeper into everything at your own pace.

Disco is not an easy game to access when you think about it.

EDIT: Also from the outside it seems like the devs are really mostly into their own in-depth RP things. Like Gallia - more or less the entire player base complains about it, but we never see any devs comment on it. Also some of the rephacks and backstorys leave little room for us players to play things out - here I am mostly frustrated by the fact that all of Gallia (save LE, I believe) are hostile to the Outcasts and vice versa (although the Council ID isn't rephacked hostile to the OC - that might be a bug), even though they have soooooooo much to gain from some form of mutual bonds (such as a safe backdoor to Gallia and a powerful and willing fleet / a new market for drugs and crime). Strategically it just seems daft... And there are many more examples of this - players being forced to a certain behaviour due to backstories out of their hand, even when it contradicts totally with your faction's objectives. Devs/whoever decides where this server is going should really listen more to the wider player base, instead of not listening or just listening to a select handful of long time players with their own grudges and motives etc. Also everything is so darn black/white it is sometimes difficult to tolerate.

Is Sirius too big? - AshHill07 - 03-07-2012

I think I could understand where they're coming from. Being tied into a faction when you start off would be bad. Being chucked into a possition where your having to take orders before you've fully explored your surroundings is also a pretty bad idea.

I spose the issue is with people like me. I have 1 of most types of ship, I've pretty much explored Liberty to the maximum I can. But now I'm running out of things to do. I'm running out of places to find things to do, and by that I don't mean gunning down yet anouther lolwut pirate/smuggler, dealing with annoyed traders, and putting up with mr LNS-LOLRAID.

Joining a faction would probably solve that. As taking orders atleast makes me feel I'm doing something worthwhile. Whereas at the moment I'm just flying around aimlessly looking and usually missing interesting things. However, if I join the official faction I'll have to go back into that DAMMED DEFENDER.:(

Is Sirius too big? - Ursus - 03-07-2012

Most of the empty systems are assets. They give people a place to go explore, something to do, maybe even a place to RP. The only "problem" with most of the empty systems right now is that they are locked down guard systems and cant be accessed by the general populace, making them assets with no value. Some them actually are weak, and if you deleted the guard bases then the systems would have no value. Those should be deleted, the rest should have the bases moved or consolidated, and the systems should be opened for public access.

To me the bigger problem is with the NPC factions. There are just too many of them for the player count to adequately develop. Do we really need Cryer and Synth Foods? IC and USI and Bowex and [...]? Why is there state-wide police and state-wide Navy for each house? How many Rheinland rebel groups do we really need? GC is a great story thread, faction is on life-support. Most of these could be consolidated down to a single base of operations and if people want to RP that then let them but otherwise eliinate most of the ID/IFF and just let it be background chatter for the 20 or so combat groups that are left.

Thing that needs to be resolved is how do you make people spend time together when they don't want to. I mean, assume three piraties, one miner, and a couple of trade ships, you cant make them play together because everybody but the pirates will log off right away and the pirates will log off 2 minutes later.

On one level I agree that empty systems in themselves dont constitute a problem, however it becomes a problem when the player base is spread out too thin. The amount of empty space you have to traverse to get to where you want can be a problem - it doesn't really encourage group efforts if my friends are being attacked in one system and I have to pass through 5 empty systems to come to their aid. And Gallia as well - beautifully crafted huge systems that are totally empty - noone to RP with. Or to rob for that matter. It is just too big, and the empty systems are a part of this problem, not just the systems with 1-2 players.

The more condensed players are, the more encouters there will be, thus the more in-game RP will be had. But of course, some empty systems should be there for exploration, but there are just too many of them - and most aren't even interesting to explore.