Discovery Gaming Community
Server notice - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Server notice (/showthread.php?tid=77812)

Pages: 1 2

Server notice - Altejago - 04-12-2012

' Wrote:I haven't had bad continuous lag at all. Not sure what people are talking about...

Show off.... :P

Server notice - Echo 7-7 - 04-12-2012

' Wrote::unsure:

Wth? I'm on that tiny group of islands on Aussies backside.... and I get better ping? :ylove:

I'm jealous. I average 350 ping.

Server notice - Mickk - 04-12-2012

' Wrote::unsure:

Wth? I'm on that tiny group of islands on Aussies backside.... and I get better ping? :ylove:

Lucky you. :P

I've had 400 odd ping on Disco since the year dot it seems, so I'm used to it.

Upgrading my connection isn't going to help and will be *much* more expensive to do, I *think* the next level up is a 'T1' (?) connection at the moment.

FYI, I'm currently running ADSL2+, which is still using copper wire tech, but it's pretty much as fast as I'm going to be able to get until that thing called 'NBN' (National Broadband Network [fiber optic!]) gets out here and I can't see that happening any time soon.

Server notice - 13CentKiller - 04-12-2012

' Wrote:Lucky you. :P

Upgrading my connection isn't going to help and will be *much* more expensive to do, I *think* the next level up is a 'T1' (?) connection at the moment.

FYI, I'm currently running ADSL2+, which is still using copper wire tech, but it's pretty much as fast as I'm going to be able to get until that thing called 'NBN' (National Broadband Network [fiber optic!]) gets out here and I can't see that happening any time soon.
The difference between a high quality ADSL 2+ connection and direct cable is minimal if there is any at all. I'm running an ADSL 2+ line syncing at 23.1Mb/s (roughly 2.5MB/s) and my ping has not changed since we upgraded from the old ADSL line, which was 7.4Mb/s.

I got the same ping result when testing from my old schools central switch which was running on fiber. That line maxed out at 86Mb/s...

Pro tip: Call your ISP and ask them to switch off interleaving if at all possible. Also make sure your house wiring is up to scratch and you are connected to the local cabinet or exchange to get the best speed possible.

Server notice - Knucklehead - 04-13-2012

' Wrote:Lucky you. :P

From what I remember from my networking class (about 11.5 years ago, now), T1 is a copper wire synchronous service at 1.5Mbps. In fact, all of the T# service types are copper-wire based. The only real difference from my own service (ADSL 1.5Mb down/768Kb up) is the upstream rate. It still runs into the problem of only being as fast as the electrons carrying the signal to and from the server, which is why my ping is usually in the 170-230 range.

An important thing to note is the difference between data rates (aka bandwidth) and transmission speeds. Ping measures the time for a single packet to reach the remote machine and a response to come back. Data Rates, like 1.5Mbps and such, talk about how many packets can be sent to or from a machine per second.

Real world example: Picture a 2 lane road 5 miles long running between city A and city B. On the other side of city A is an 8 lane road 30 miles long that goes to city C. Both roads have the same speed limit. An individual car would be able to reach its destination faster on the two lane road, but you would be able to fit far more cars onto the 8 lane road in a given time frame.

Now, say there's a 10 car pileup on one of the roads. Suddenly, most of the path is blocked, and the cars need to be redirected onto side roads to make the journey. Some get lost along those roads and never find their way to their destination, or at least take longer to get there.

And then there's the traffic control inside City A. When everything is flowing right, cars can make their way to their chosen highway quickly and easily. As more cars find their way into the city, though, the traffic control gets tougher and can cause the whole system to slow to a crawl or even shut down for a while.

What does this have to do with Freelancer? Simple. All the bits and pieces of information going to and from the server are like individual cars. You cram a certain number of them into your internet pipeline and send them on their way. The farther you are from the server, the longer it takes for that car to make the round trip. Doesn't matter how many cars you can throw at the server, they'll all get there and back in roughly the same amount of time.

TL;DR Version: The closer you are, the lower your ping, regardless of bandwidth, and when more players are on the server, things can get bogged down easier. Also, things that happen between a client and the server can cause more lag and loss.

Server notice - ryoken - 04-13-2012

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x238/ry...2/screen633.jpg

Hmm today is slower then normal. I usually have about 60m/s ping. Oh well, i will have to suffer at 118m/s.
I have no idea how you lads handle any higher then 150m/s.