Discovery Gaming Community
Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. (/showthread.php?tid=92705)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - Ursus - 01-20-2013

thought about this some more and there are some interesting balancing opportunities by linking them to specific hard-points. it would be neat to install a crew in a turret and have all the other other turrets fire 10% faster with more damage, for example. also impossible without significant flhook coding

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - Zynth - 01-21-2013

Let's see....

I have a dread, I dock it on a non-Navy base eg: Planet Manhattan.

I die to a bunch of Warturtles.

I'm now stuck on Planet Manhattan without crew and therefore can't launch.

Yay.

Not good to implement. However, the concept of increasing the ship's weapons stats might be useful. Have something like "experienced gunners" to increase rate of fire and "experienced engineers" to reduce cruise charge time. Or something similar.

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - Alphablood1 - 01-21-2013

make it flyable without crew it just reduces core Smile
this is a great idea been wondering about it for very long time would love it on my bision to have a crew for RP purposes without taking lots of cargo space Smile could be made that theres different types like a commodity for trading Smile and one as equipment Smile but limited size of crew can be depending on ship kinda like bots and bats Smile and should take no cargo space since they in ship not cargo bay

I think we should see what we can do with this idea Smile

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - ryoken - 01-21-2013

(01-18-2013, 02:07 PM)AshHill07 Wrote: Fantastic, something else I'll have to cram into my dreadnoughts already full cargo hold.

^this^ for starters.
Also I believe not every base planet has crew for sale, so may screw some ships from launching.
I know player bases do not have crews for sale so would screw you from launching.
Also what if ship was destroyed, and player had all his cash in the cargo, and could not afford a crew? Sell his 100mil ship? maybe the base he is on has no ships for sale to replace it.

It would be to much work, for so little.

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - Alphablood1 - 01-21-2013

(01-21-2013, 05:33 AM)ryoken Wrote:
(01-18-2013, 02:07 PM)AshHill07 Wrote: Fantastic, something else I'll have to cram into my dreadnoughts already full cargo hold.

^this^ for starters.
Also I believe not every base planet has crew for sale, so may screw some ships from launching.
I know player bases do not have crews for sale so would screw you from launching.
Also what if ship was destroyed, and player had all his cash in the cargo, and could not afford a crew? Sell his 100mil ship? maybe the base he is on has no ships for sale to replace it.

It would be to much work, for so little.

Thats why you could undock without crew it wouldnt be required it would be like nanos and bats and armor more like an addon and would be equipment and no a good they could have different Ship Crew one would be a Good/Commodity and one would be Equipment. Ships that can have crew equipped and dont the ships speed could run at 80% instead of 100%.
Just think of how you could make it worth it and not such a loss when you dont have it

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - Daron - 01-21-2013

Deja vu time?

'Space Crew' is a commodity as it was already pointed out ages ago.
Now it's got even a real purpose on player bases.

(01-21-2013, 06:01 AM)Daron Wrote: Deja vu time?

'Space Crew' is a commodity as it was already pointed out ages ago.
Now it's got even a real purpose on player bases.

But thats not what its for its Spaceship Crew not Station Crew

Would be nice to be able to use it on ships

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - Shintaz - 01-21-2013

Completely against the idea of having a crew and here are my two cents :

A) Extra spending, for some people restocking a "bigger" ship might be a few pennies but for other it could be a lot of money.Also upon death I would assume the crewmen die.So keeping that in mind people who are constantly in combat situations are going to have tons of spending.

B) Even though it would add more roleplay value, it's still going to be a massive nuisance, also keep in mind the people who just start playing and attempt to participate in trading or mining.Can they really afford such spending?

Conclusion: The use of it does not outweight the hassle.

(01-21-2013, 06:59 AM)Shintaz Wrote: Completely against the idea of having a crew and here are my two cents :

A) Extra spending, for some people restocking a "bigger" ship might be a few pennies but for other it could be a lot of money.Also upon death I would assume the crewmen die.So keeping that in mind people who are constantly in combat situations are going to have tons of spending.

B) Even though it would add more roleplay value, it's still going to be a massive nuisance, also keep in mind the people who just start playing and attempt to participate in trading or mining.Can they really afford such spending?

Conclusion: The use of it does not outweight the hassle.

Again Smile could make it not needed it would be an extra thing so dont have to buy it if not needed so its more for the RP and maybe a bonus to ship speed lots of ideas

The ideas im coming up with dont cause hassle unless your crazy to buy it for no reason all the time

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - Sanguines - 01-21-2013

(01-18-2013, 01:54 PM)Jinx Wrote: easy question(s) in advance

1 what does it add to the game?

2 what does it add to players who choose to play roles of larger ships?

3 what does it take for not fulfilling these requirements?

4 such a feature should not be a chore and even an annoyance. it should be beneficial for those who choose to play those ships - ADD to their experience and gameplay.

1: It adds RP elementaries to militairy and non militairy factions (Navy, IMG who are at war with Sairs/Casts etc.
2: The players who usually lpay these roles are pretty darn good roleplayers. Heck, Even on a transport, I see people around Java carrying that stuff, and all is RPéd.
3: Not fulfilling, meh, I dont care. RP is RP. If one player just wants to RP a captain, sure. As long as its nota lolwut like half of the battle ships, who just make one demand, count to 5 and start shooting.
4: It should add to both roleplayers in a scene. I have had RP experience as a big exploration ship, which had 17 crew members or such, on a themed RP site.

The thing is, THis type of RP is rarely found on DiscoveryGC being a light RP server. I am pretty sure, had it been a serious RP server, the RP quality on general would raise, and instead 9 our 10 fights that run into pew pew, 1 out of 10 would be the aim.

Therefor, with stuff like dockign modules, those things could be well used to for quality RP.

@ Shintaz: I see your point, but since when does it have to do with credits? Not both RPers need the whole amount of cash. Only one in scene needs it. And to be honest, every newbie starts like most people: Trade. If you dont want to trade much, there are other options too.

RP > Credits. Thats how it goes. Not Credits > RP.

You want to make a quick cash, mine, haul Ore. Its what I do, yet I made The.Glider whom is having afull crew.

The only problem is armor, but meh, why get Armor for RP?