Discovery Gaming Community
Removing MK I ships as a species. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Removing MK I ships as a species. (/showthread.php?tid=95804)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - Karst - 03-24-2013

(03-21-2013, 10:39 AM)AeternusDoleo Wrote: Spazzy: The Startracker will remain available at a number of locations. Not barrier gate though, need those salepoints for other ships Freelancers may want to grab. BW gunboat and the likes.

So about the Startracker.....it's kinda weird now. It has a Mk.2 version (kinda), but the Starblazer uses a slightly different model.
But it also has an even lower version (Starflier). I can't think of any other ship in that position.

Is it possible to turn the Startracker into a Mk.2-ish ship? With stats similar to the Starblazer, perhaps 2 class 8 guns and 1 class nine (rather than 2 class 9s, 1 class 8 as on the Starblazer), slightly lower armor and slightly higher agility (than the Starblazer)?

I'm asking because the Startracker has by far my favorite model of the three, and I'd love for it to not be entirely useless.

(03-24-2013, 01:40 PM)Sava Wrote: I would be happy without mk1/mk2 *****, but i would prefer original ship names (i.e. Dagger instead of Scimitar, Crusader instead of Templar etc) and infocards.

Valkyrie comes to mind. SO much cooler than Wraith.

Edit: And that's saying a lot since Wraith is a very cool word and a great name for a ship as well.

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - Gamazson - 03-24-2013

(03-24-2013, 01:40 PM)Sava Wrote: I would be happy without mk1/mk2 *****, but i prefer original ship names (i.e. Dagger instead of Scimitar, Crusader instead of Templar etc) and infocards.

I agree. The mk 2 name can then be re-used in by future models in the line up.

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - Crackpunch - 03-25-2013

(03-21-2013, 02:32 PM)Xenosaga Wrote: You cannot boost hull strength, power output, let alone agility by exclusively upgrading interior components. Yes, there are military aircraft that get updated and look pretty similiar to the base version, but 1. they do not look exactly the same and 2. they do not receive upgrades that improve their durability and firepower fivefold like on Disco.

Compare the 80 ton Tiger II to the 60 ton Abrams.

It got more powerful AND smaller.

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - JayDee Kasane - 03-25-2013

One of few things I actually care for mk1 ships - Leggionaire to be buffed and Decurion completely destroyed. Because its really was asked several times by CoE and rest of Corsair players.

And some of Vanilla ship names much better then Discovery ones I agree. Dragon isntead of Chimaera, Patriot instead of Liberator, Dagger insted of Scimitar or Banshee instead of Phantom.

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - Akura - 03-25-2013

I've always thought that all ships should be Mk2. This means that all ships with Mk2 versions or already Mk2, remain the same, but Starfliers, Startrackers, Rhinos etc get boosted stats to match those of Mk2 ships, with no increase in value.

This means poor players remain poor, the ships don't gain any value, you still work up through to better ships.

Mk1 ships essentially become bad Mk2 ships, this means that players can take on Mk2 missions, the same ones that everyone else does, but their ship is sub-par in combat against other players. The ships would have slightly worse shields, energy and armour.

It's like a VHF with a HF shield and powerplant for example.

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - Syrus - 03-25-2013

I don't see any need in keeping the Mk1 ships. In fact, as I probably suggested some time before already, it'd be good to have all Mk1 ships receive the stats of their Mk2 versions or be balanced around the equal Mk2 ships.
Except for the few ships which don't have Mk2 versions of them, almost no Mk1 ships are used at all, making having two versions of one ship pointless. Money for getting a decent ship can be earned rather quickly, maybe have the people start with a freighter when /restart'ing to make it a little bit easier for new players.

Having "underpowered Mk1 versions" is just a waste imo.

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - TLI-Inferno - 03-25-2013

Please don't get rid of MK1 ships. I thoroughly enjoy working my way up from a weak fighter to a great fighter, buying all the faction's different snubs on the way up.

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - kikatsu - 03-25-2013

Removing MK1 ships also has an added side effect of effectively opening up the lower class weapon slots to other uses, like what was done with the turrets. Since effectively without MK1 ships, fighters would never have to mount anything lower than a class 7 gun, so anything below that can become specialized...could even rename the gun slots to things like Light Gun Mount, Standard Gun Mount, High Power Gun Mount (or something along those lines) for 8s, 9s, and 10s respectively, like how we have light and heavy fighter turrets now.

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - TLI-Inferno - 03-26-2013

(03-25-2013, 06:23 PM)kikatsu Wrote: Removing MK1 ships also has an added side effect of effectively opening up the lower class weapon slots to other uses, like what was done with the turrets. Since effectively without MK1 ships, fighters would never have to mount anything lower than a class 7 gun, so anything below that can become specialized...could even rename the gun slots to things like Light Gun Mount, Standard Gun Mount, High Power Gun Mount (or something along those lines) for 8s, 9s, and 10s respectively, like how we have light and heavy fighter turrets now.

That does actually sound interesting, but that's kind of already possible since there aren't actually any Class 1 guns... Could lower all of their classes by 1 and free up a slot.

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - Felix_Wannamaker_III - 03-26-2013

Id rather there werent any grades of guns at all, just more equal options that are balanced against one another, such that people in each faction would have a very broad range of options to have better range, fire rate, projectile speed or damage.