Discovery Gaming Community
Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) (/showthread.php?tid=99959)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Hone - 06-06-2013

(06-06-2013, 09:01 PM)Ponge Wrote: This was a general remark; in MY opinion, this behaviour ruins proper play, especially on an RP server. And it is annoying when a player comes to you and attacks you with big mouth (or in this case, all the RP before the attack was this: "Make donation"), then uses tricks to escape when he is losing the battle. Another thing that happened earlier, a pirate (not his one that the post is originally about) attacked a transport who was not even involved in our battle (without any demand/warning), when he saw he can't defeat me in a fair battle. Then he escaped through a jumphole, too. In MY opinion, this behaviour is not only annoying, but unfair, too.

Pirates are annoying, how about you deal with it INRP? If theyr shooting transports without saying anything, just sanction them, dont condem people roleplaying dickheads, cos of some people breaking the rules, and dont expect the problem to go away if you dont report it.

(06-06-2013, 10:07 PM)Loken Wrote: If he jumped through the jump hole and killed himself right away so that you couldn't chase I would personally consider that a pvp death. Hard to prove though.

If he died straight away after the jump sure, but not if he died like 5 mins later.

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - ejoman3002 - 06-07-2013

If the said person is not gona stay inrp (goes to other system, kills himself, then comes back from a completly diffrent direction) why should we stay inrp. And the fact is most of the people who do this do it becouse they dont wana give the other player the satisfaction of a blue message with there name on it. but are more then willing to take a blue message from you. Its allot of the im in it for my fun and my fun only mentality. There just using a technicality to be able to come back again and fight. Its like when i play skyrim. Before certain moments i save so i can go back if i screw up. But thats against a computer. the computers fun isnt part of the game. Online everyone is trying to have fun and if that means you have to give a few blue messages then so be it. Couse if your willing to give a blue message, then your apponent will be next time ya meet. Its give and take which is becoming less common now a days. atleast in my opinion

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Agmen of Eladesor - 06-07-2013

(06-06-2013, 05:10 PM)Jansen Wrote: That is another story and I have to agree with you, sadly this seems to happen more and more lately. Escaping from a fight the way you describe is really just bad form.

This is the sentence I disagree with you on.

(Regarding the OP question, no, no rules were broken.)

Bring yourself into role-play for a second. Actually think about it that it is YOU in that cockpit. If you're role-playing that you're a suicidal kamikaze type person, then it's unimportant to you what happens, because you intend to die.

Last time I checked, even with all the thoughts, hopes, and dreams about reincarnation, life doesn't have a respawn button. So if you're role-playing as a pilot who is losing a combat, would you in real life stay there and die, or would you go, oh crap, I'm going to die if I don't get out of here, and GTFO?

Yeah, I know it's a game. And a space shooter, to boot. But it's also role-playing - which means it's NOT bad form to run away from a combat you're losing, it's actually within the role play of most humans.

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Ponge - 06-07-2013

In-RP you never die really, as you are jetissoned in an escape pod and brought back to the last station you were on, where our ship s fixed up, too.
And how in-RP is that, a pirate escapes to Vespucci, the Hellfire Legion guard system from a fight?
And about the reporting... I learned my lesson now, and will do next time.

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - GhothaAyala - 06-07-2013

Well now how do I properly escape from things? Cause as a noob with lacking PvP skills I don't stand a chance and from an RP point, running for your life is the right thing to do.

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Ponge - 06-07-2013

Yes. But if you are not good in PVP, why would you create a pirate character and pick a fight with a gunboat while you are sitting in a VHF?

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Omega472 - 06-07-2013

(06-07-2013, 07:10 AM)Ponge Wrote: In-RP you never die really, as you are jetissoned in an escape pod and brought back to the last station you were on, where our ship s fixed up, too.
And how in-RP is that, a pirate escapes to Vespucci, the Hellfire Legion guard system from a fight?
And about the reporting... I learned my lesson now, and will do next time.

Even so, I'm sure if you were flying a ship in the middle of no where destination space, you'd rather flee in a larger ship that can take you away at your own whim, than being cramped in a tiny pod flying through a cold and desolate wasteland. Not to mention the fact that you'd be easy prey for passing by ships.
As for flying away to a guard system, I'd sure as hell try my luck with a system who's hostiles weren't an immediate threat.

In response to the OP, I doubt it was an intentional suicide, as most people I've seen will dive planets/stars/even stations, yet I've never seen someone suicide via their own nuke .-.

In all fairness I think I would have acted similarly (Well, except assaulting a much larger ship. And the whole killing myself bit, that seemed a bit overboard.) But what does my word matter, I'm just a scrub Shy

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - cata77 - 06-07-2013

It is a pvp death , no doubt , but you can't proove it and he is cowered by rules .

Next time maybe .

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Omega472 - 06-07-2013

I fail to see how it's a PvP death as he successfully escaped the encounter. Maybe if he died immediately after jumping, sure, but he mentions he died some time later.

RE: Escaping from a fight = PVP death? (see details in post) - Ursus - 06-07-2013

(06-07-2013, 01:03 AM)Agmen of Eladesor Wrote: if you're role-playing as a pilot who is losing a combat, would you in real life stay there and die, or would you go, oh crap, I'm going to die if I don't get out of here, and GTFO?

and then go crash a planet in some other system for the free respawn at home port without taking a PVP loss... how is that role-playing?

No what it is OORP to crash a planet for free respawn, actually its technical demonstration of "abuse of game mechanics" it is so far out-of-bounds on good RP. It is also completely disrespecful to the other players on this server.