Discovery Gaming Community
Official faction activity - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Faction Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Thread: Official faction activity (/showthread.php?tid=61466)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Official faction activity - Athenian - 06-14-2011

You're missing the point about the LN.

They are still not active enough. And that isn't because Joe is not on his cruiser racking up the blue message counter to avoid things like "Admin Notice: Factions Warned for Not Killing Enough Folk"

They control (militarily at least) a House in Sirius, and should have roughly 15% of all server activity before they get to hand out guns and stuff. The logic is sound, I grant you, but that's the problem with ideas: the practicalities of a rule system like that would reduce us to at most four factions, which would probably have to be all factions in a House combined into a super faction. What powers would these super factions have? (Assuming the current ones aren't enough) Who cares; we'd be playing Counterstrike in Space.

Official faction activity - Alley - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:You're missing the point about the LN.

They are still not active enough. And that isn't because Joe is not on his cruiser racking up the blue message counter to avoid things like "Admin Notice: Factions Warned for Not Killing Enough Folk"

They control (militarily at least) a House in Sirius, and should have roughly 15% of all server activity before they get to hand out guns and stuff. The logic is sound, I grant you, but that's the problem with ideas: the practicalities of a rule system like that would reduce us to at most four factions, which would probably have to be all factions in a House combined into a super faction. What powers would these super factions have? (Assuming the current ones aren't enough) Who cares; we'd be playing Counterstrike in Space.

I just had a totally awesome idea.
To win the war against Rheinland, they must have more than 50% of the server activity.

Untill then, we can't release 4.86.

Official faction activity - Death.RunningVerminator - 06-14-2011

Ingenious, i just had a look at your "Server factions" area on your profile page. It says "no." So I'm guessing that's none.. So instead of complaining about faction activity, why don't you join an official faction that's low on activity and help them out if you're so worried? Have you even been in an official faction? If you haven't, i suggest you join one, stay there for about half a year, then come back and complain.

Now, i dunno if you have or haven't.. I'm basing this post off the fact that your profile says "no" for "server factions."

Official faction activity - Ingenious - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:I am dealing with the subject at hand... The motivation behind you posting this, and the implications it has on the way official factions are run in game and out.

Like I said, try running an official faction for a month while I hurl ever increasing requirements at you as you attempt to admin the server, hold down a social life, and a job, while keeping your members happy and entertained, and interacting with those around you in game and on the forums as much as you possibly can.

If you are capable of it, and maintaining your outlines requirements of factional activity and behaviour, while keeping your sanity intact, then hats off to you. You no longer require sleep or food.

This is frankly a ridiculous set of requirements. The ones layed out currently and enforced are (for the present time) appropriate. They are naturally subject to change as the server's environment changes. I am attacking your proposal and your methods of arguing the point, yes... But that's because I believe you are wrong, and I find your methods, manner and wildly contradictory messages from past comments in serious sections of the forum to be a little daft.

What is the agenda behind this?
Do you understand that these requirements layed out here will generate greater resentment in the server's population that the current ones?
Do you understand why that is?
What bad experience of (perhaps being a member of) an official faction do you have?

For one thing, your accusation against my motives is unfounded. I have friends in all the house militaries except Rheinland, and I don't really dislike any particular faction.

For one thing, Liberty Navy already fulfills the proposed requirements, so I don't know what you're so outraged about. Switching to this proposed system means Liberty has to... change nothing! You can sleep and eat!

' Wrote:You're missing the point about the LN.

The statistic was an exaggeration. LN shouldn't aspire to 15% of server activity.

He asked you five questions though, and you replied to none so this debate can't really go forward.

0/5
you bant from server !111

' Wrote:He asked you five questions though, and you replied to none so this debate can't really go forward.

0/5
you bant from server !111

Stop trolling please.

First part wasn't trolling, I was serious.

Official faction activity - Jihadjoe - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:For one thing, Liberty Navy already fulfills the proposed requirements, so I don't know what you're so outraged about. Switching to this proposed system means Liberty has to... change nothing! You can sleep and eat!
Because I am not entirely self interested.

I will also point out that factions are depend on one another for activity. For example, an active [RM] causes the [LN] to be more active in responce. If the KNF patrols more, then the blood dragons also come out to play... This network of relationships is extremely complex, and extends all across sirius. When one faction's activity wanes, then others also decrease, with activity increasing in other places. Meaning that factions would never be able to sustain the requirements, even if they meet them now, as all factions are reliant on other factions.

With this in mind, you will find that if you start culling the smaller and apparently weaker looking factions, then the giants fall shortly afterwards.

This idea you have will lead to no factions existing at all.

' Wrote:For one thing, your accusation against my motives is unfounded. I have friends in all the house militaries except Rheinland, and I don't really dislike any particular faction.

I have heard massive racists saying "I don't hate people of other races, one of my friends is <insert race here>". Your comment there is meaningless.

Also, you may not dislike any particular faction, but that sure doesn't stop you from disliking all of them.

' Wrote:First part wasn't trolling, I was serious.

If you read the discussion, the answers to all his other questions are plain as day, but he probably didn't have time to read up, which is actually understandable.

The agenda is selfless: to make the server more fair and fun. Do you think I would really put my ass out on the line this far, in front of public ridicule like this, if I did not actually think this proposal would help?

The requirements aren't generating the resentment. One-faction-per-ID is generating the resentment. See Daedric's poll in this same subforum.

No, I don't understand how this proposal would generate more resentment.