Discovery Gaming Community
whitelist mac addresses and ip - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: whitelist mac addresses and ip (/showthread.php?tid=103990)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: whitelist mac addresses and ip - lIceColon - 08-28-2013

(08-28-2013, 02:20 PM)hungry-bank Wrote: The easiest way to implement a white list is at the firewall level but from there you got some problems:
what about implementing a white list beyond that level? look into that and we just might have a solution

(08-28-2013, 02:20 PM)hungry-bank Wrote: 7. white listing mac adresses sounds better but for some users which are kids might be a problem finding out their mac adress
obviously we don't have tutorials for everything else

seriously stop being so hostile towards possible solutions to problems that need to be dealt with, and while there are issues with whitelisting theres little we can't overcome in the issues mentioned so far. whitelisting is a cheap solution to antihack that has worked for a lot of gaming servers so i don't see why it can't work for this one if implemented properly.

RE: whitelist mac addresses and ip - Tunicle - 08-28-2013

Is changing your MAC address not just a regedit in windows?

RE: whitelist mac addresses and ip - sindroms - 08-28-2013

No, but there are third party programs to do that.

RE: whitelist mac addresses and ip - HarryHicks - 08-28-2013

Way to tell more and more people spaz.

ehhh. what about account whitelisting? everytime you make a new account you have to get it whitelisted before you can undock with it.

RE: whitelist mac addresses and ip - Stuffz - 08-28-2013

Not exactly hard to google "How to change my MAC address"

And whitelisting would not be trouble by wrongdoers trying to change their MAC address as long as they don't have acces to all the addresses on the whitelist.

RE: whitelist mac addresses and ip - hungry-bank - 08-28-2013

(08-28-2013, 04:00 PM)lIceColon Wrote:
(08-28-2013, 02:20 PM)hungry-bank Wrote: The easiest way to implement a white list is at the firewall level but from there you got some problems:
what about implementing a white list beyond that level? look into that and we just might have a solution

I`m curios where you want to white list something?
And another curiosity, do you have any experience as a system administrator or programmer?

Of course NOT - I'm just a person with a vocabulary full of technical terms I don't know how to use. You see the way I work is - I talk out of my ass, and hope in the off chance that something useful comes out.

Maybe ip/mac address whitelisting isn't the best idea.
Maybe account whitelisting is a better idea. I'm not gonna create a seperate thread just for that.

See forums are forums for a reason- they're meant to create discussion, not for bashing stupid

RE: whitelist mac addresses and ip - hungry-bank - 08-28-2013

And how do you propose to implement account white listing sir?

I'm just gonna wait for a dev to answer that one, although my guess is a magic jesus fairy uses its pixie dust to make it happen.